Forum Member

Default max age 2 be a career firefighter?

can anyone give me an idea of the max age 2 be a career firefighter? i live in nj and im a vol ff,i really enjoy it and id love to do it for a living but im in my late 30s,did i wait too long?

MembersZone Subscriber

In Illinois most departments have an age limit of 35 to get on the department

Forum Member

Arrow Age

That's tough to answer as most departments have their own policy on the issue. I have a friend that joined the Nashville FD 2 years ago at age 39.

MembersZone Subscriber

T-Bone,
    We have hired Career guys over forty. It really depends on what kind of shape you are in and plan on being for a while. There are people in the system who have started later too. As a volunteer (especially EMS only roles)there many individuals who give back to there community starting at even older than forty. Just don't wait if you wanna do it. Be real with yourself too. If you think the risk of a heart attack (#1 firefighter killer) is possible because of physiological stressors that are inherent with the "job" then you may want to think again. There are many way to give to the community.

JW
    "Making Sense with Common Sense"
    Motor Vehicle Rescue Consultants
    ( MVRC@comcast.net) Jordan Sr.

tbone

Here in Texarkana,Ar the maximun age is 32. We use civil service procedure for our written test and hiring...

Thread Information