Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Whats the best ambulance on the market?

  1. #26
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    All of which in terms of evaluating a FIRE department mean absolutely nothing.


    As far as your question goes, I am not sure that you even understand your own question. Horton, nor any other ambulance manufacturer, has anything to do with the chassis that they sit on.
    Being that 70-80% of our runs are EMS, maintaing the high standards and staying cutting edge in regards to the service you have historically provided is HIGHLY relavent to a FIRE dept.

    And I am well aware that Horton or other manufacturers do not make the chassis that their boxes sit on. And they DO have an something to do with the chassis in regards to the electrical systems and any modifications and mounting to the chassis. BTW, I didn't ask any question, so I don't know what you're talking about there.

  2. #27
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFD21C View Post
    The best box by far is one that does not belong to the fire department!!!
    I'd much rather the fire dept's around here come when I call than some minimum wage private ambulance.

  3. #28
    Forum Member
    MemphisE34a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Memphis, TN - USA
    Posts
    2,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    I'd much rather the fire dept's around here come when I call than some minimum wage private ambulance.
    Here you make a valid point. Currently all of our chassis are Internationals.

    In regards to my other comments, I don't disagree that if a fire department is going to provide the EMS service, they need rotate it seriously.

    It appears however that more and more fire departments (and their business minded, bozo looking elected officials) believe that the FIRE in fire department is somehow a peripheral role. A side issue that has to be included if your going to provide an EMS service.

    EMS or not, the extinguishment of fire is always the core reason for the existence of the fire service.
    CaptOldTimer and Lewiston2FF like this.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

    Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

    "Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.


    Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

  4. #29
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Here you make a valid point. Currently all of our chassis are Internationals.

    In regards to my other comments, I don't disagree that if a fire department is going to provide the EMS service, they need rotate it seriously.

    It appears however that more and more fire departments (and their business minded, bozo looking elected officials) believe that the FIRE in fire department is somehow a peripheral role. A side issue that has to be included if your going to provide an EMS service.

    EMS or not, the extinguishment of fire is always the core reason for the existence of the fire service.
    Our Medics (ambulances) are set up to carry our fire gear and SCBA. We can assist at fires if needed, although our primary role is EMS and rehab. We'll generally assist loading hose and clean up if needed. We rotate to the engine generally, and the engines respond on ALS calls as well. So our trucks get a lot of use. We happen to function in many capacities, Fire, EMS, Bomb, Haz-Mat, Rescue, so nothing is really viewed as an insignificant sideline. We've stuck with Horton all these years, and I think the majority of guys have always been pleased overall. The fire apparatus until recently has been hit or miss, but we now have the best fleet we've probably ever had.

  5. #30
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Here you make a valid point. Currently all of our chassis are Internationals.

    In regards to my other comments, I don't disagree that if a fire department is going to provide the EMS service, they need rotate it seriously.

    It appears however that more and more fire departments (and their business minded, bozo looking elected officials) believe that the FIRE in fire department is somehow a peripheral role. A side issue that has to be included if your going to provide an EMS service.

    EMS or not, the extinguishment of fire is always the core reason for the existence of the fire service.
    As much as I agree with you, EMS is becoming the core of our mission. Is fire suppression extremely important? Of course.

    But with fire numbers down dramatically across the board (and falling every day) the day is going to come when we can no longer use EMS as a way to preserve fire jobs. Not only is EMS the vast majority of departmnet's call volume, but unlike (most) fire runs, it's a source of income for the department. There are many departments (both career and combination/volunteer) that can go literally years without having a fire. And that trend is growing.

    Would I love to see every department have adequate apparatus staffed with 5 guys? OF ****ING COURSE!!! And there are certainly areas where that is needed and will be needed for a long time to come. But those departments are going to become fewer ands fewer every year.

  6. #31
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    As much as I agree with you, EMS is becoming the core of our mission.
    I disagree.

    While it is correct that many departments are providing EMS on some level, whether first response, transport or both and that these calls account for the majority of their responses, there are still a lot of fire departments that do not routinely provide such and are very much focused on suppression.

    The fire service originated pretty much solely based on the need to put fires out in a more efficient, organized fashion. Over time, most of us have taken on other tasks to occupy our time between fires as additional needs have arisen and we had the ability to do so. The fact that these "non-fire" responses greatly out number the "fire" responses for some departments doesn't really diminish the fact that suppression IS the fire department's core reason for existence. If it wasn't, we probably would have ditched the term "fire department" a long time ago.
    MemphisE34a likes this.

  7. #32
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Valley of Death, CA
    Posts
    151

    Default

    We have 3 Wheeled Roach's, oops sorry meant Wheeled Coach, and the only decent one is the 1995. The 2005 and 2011 have had numerous problems requiring them go back for repairs.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register