Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Cleaning the driveway

Anyone got any ideas on how to get oil off the approach? I spent 4 hours today with a power washer and didn't make a dent. We used some industrial cleaner that came with the power washer but all it did was make a foamy mess. Iím almost sure that there is some rule about copious amounts of acid being washed down into the storm drains so that option is out. We got a Detroit Diesel that flows more oil than the deck gun flows water and it is getting to be a real problem. Thanks for any help in advance. And no snide remarks about Detroit Diesels cause it runs like a scalded ape.
    My comments posted here do not reflect the views of my department.

Forum Member

We have a Detriot also, and it blows a ton of oil! I've tried scrubbing it with all sorts of brushes too but to no good. When you figger it out, lemme know please!

*Mark

MembersZone Subscriber

Try some simple green, as far as I know it should do the job, I dont think that it has a lot of acids in it either. Its worth a shot.
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-egh
    *** These are my opinions, they do not in any way reflect those of my department.***

What you need:

*Sand

*Brooms

*Indian Tanks

*Power Washer

*A big *** bottle of "Orange Clean"

*A whole bunch of probationary firemen

Take the Probationary firemen; Give half of them a broom. The other half an indian tank. Fill the tanks half full of water w/ 1 cup of orange clean each. Have them squirt the ramp; and have the other firemen scrub. Then have then "Sand" the drains... Don't let that oil go into the drain systems.... Sprinkle the remaining sand on the ramp.. Pour Orange Clean directly on the oil. Scrub again (With the Orange and Sand)... Now power wash it... There you have no more oil problem...

It really works... That's what we do!

Temporarily/No Longer Active CAFFBOU's Avatar

Thumbs up I think...

I think I once had success with simple bleach and
    water. I know youre concerned with run off. Simple
    Green has been ok. I think that new stuff "Oxy Clean"
    works well with some water.

Good luck and maybe report back the results?

Someone has to say it, so I will:

PROBIES!

Luke

We have done a couple of different things...

First, I would try some oil dry, but you have to work it in a little. We use a push broom, but upside down so you are pushing the wooden side on the oil dry. This will usually turn the oil dry into powder. Once you work it in, let it set for a long time, over night if you can.

The second thing we have done is get some of the stuff that the petroleum clean up crews use on large spills. I have no idea what it's called, we ask them for "that red stuff" and they give us a bottle!
    The "red stuff" looks like a detergent, but it has some sort of microbes in it that break down the oils so they can be flushed without worry.
    ftm-ptb-rbp
    leather forever

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Yep, Orange clean or Citri-clean will do a fairly decent job and are enviro-friendly but they do require a strong back to work it in really well. Might try just your run of the mill engine cleaner too. Most of them are also enviro-friendly now as well.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

My company doesnt have that problem, we dont sit on the ramp long enough to blow oil all over the place.

tee hee
    " truck till the casket drops "

www.lynbrookfd.org

My views and opinions do not represent the views and standards of the Department or Company that I belong to.

Cool

Ouch that last post hurt. Dont make fun of me for living at the "vacation station." Ours sits there a long time because we take a very long time to check it out to make sure that it is ever ready to respond to calls and save lives. Aw hell who am I kidding...all we run is fire alarms and vehicle unlocks. Thanks for all the input. Ill try out your suggestions next shift....actually next shift is Sunday and I dont plan on doing any real work so Ill get on it Wednesday...promise (incase my chief is reading this) And if you are Chief, um.....I was just kidding about the "not working" thing on Sunday. I particulary like the "probie" part of the cleaning process.
    My comments posted here do not reflect the views of my department.

We have had success by using Purple Power. The key is to put the Purple power on before you wet it down. Let it soak, and then use water and a brush. For some unknown reason, if you put it on after the area is wet, it doesn't work at all.
    Begin with the end in mind.

Be safe out there!!

A company called Zep Manufacturing out of Atlanta, GA phone # 877 428 9937 makes several industrial stength floor cleaners. We use Zep Flash and Zep Super Flash on our shop floors. BTW I work as Parts Manager for a Detroit Diesel-Allison Automatic Distributor, so watch those comments about them screamin Detroits and make sure they are all good. lol

It really does a good job on oil stains from when we have to work on a clatterpillar or a cummapart engine. LOL
    MGB&KY&Y-FDNY 9/11/01

Forum Member

The only time our truck sits on the approach is while doing morning checks. The motor blows oil when revved. So while leaving the approach on a call or whenever leaving the station it blows oil all over. We don't have a bunch of probies, just 3 of us in the station. We'll get it cleaned off somehow...

*Mark

Forum Member

Prior to my career in the fire service I worked for an oil change business for a few years. We use to use Muriatic Acid. Im not sure if this is the correct spelling or not. It is sold at most places that carry suppllies for swimming pools. It is what they use to clean concrete swimming pools. It does a fantastic job. Just pour it on the concrete and let it work for a few minutes. It will usually bubble and you can just watch the oil lift off the concrete. Just rinse good and dont get any of it on you.

Try 'Dawn' dish detergent. Lightly wet the effected area and srub the detergent in with a broom. Let it sit for a couple of minutes and rinse off. You may have to repeat. But, who cares. The probies are doing it. HA HA

Originally posted by Waterboy620
    Ouch that last post hurt. Dont make fun of me for living at the "vacation station." Ours sits there a long time because we take a very long time to check it out to make sure that it is ever ready to respond to calls and save lives. Aw hell who am I kidding...all we run is fire alarms and vehicle unlocks. Thanks for all the input. Ill try out your suggestions next shift...

haha
    " truck till the casket drops "

www.lynbrookfd.org

My views and opinions do not represent the views and standards of the Department or Company that I belong to.

Forum Member

Dude, Tom, you're the proby, don't be laughing this is your job... get to it grunt!

Thread Information