Thread: Overweight

Default Overweight

Question:
    Volunteer firefighter suffers from obesity pushing 400lbs
    For the sake of this person should he/she be considered at risk.
    The view expressed are personal and not those of any organization or board that I may represent. I am exercising my right as a free American.

I'm no doctor but I would raise some serious questions regarding this member. But the echos my concerns about fitness training in the volunteer service. Currently we try and do stress testing on all members every 5 years plus the entry phyiscal. But I can't say we've had someone of that size in the department.

Very touchy subject though. Does this member take on active interior FF roles or primarly support roles?

If support that might not be a bad position but with the other my concerns would be high without good phyical performance.

I would like to know what comes of this if any.
    Stevejd
    www.lcvfd.com

MembersZone Subscriber

How does this individual pass his respiratory physical or healthcare questionaire? He should be flagged for a physical, we had several firefighters that were required to get stress tests before the doc would sign off

We sent him for an over 40 medical and somehow passed.
    To purchase his station uniform we had to special order 2 of each, pants and shirt. My concern if the uniforms only go up to a size 54 waist, and he takes a size 60, does that not give an indication that he may be to large. I'm sure if this person was a paid firefighter there would be concerns.
    The view expressed are personal and not those of any organization or board that I may represent. I am exercising my right as a free American.

Teetering precariously close to the edge of the earth.

I'm a Volunteer Firefighter, and not a textbook one at that...I'm nowhere near 400lbs but wasn't too far off when I first started (360+)...That being said even at 400 lbs he may not have any problems, certainly not fit but healthy to date, so the medical isn't a factor...

If it's your Departement who are concerned about his PERFORMANCE then revisit your application requirements and make it mandatory for everyone to do a FF challenge type entry physical that must be completed in a certain time with a certain amount of air used??'

If you're concerned about HIM then educate him to the risks that he faces in his current situation....Heat exhaustion/stroke, floor/roof collapse...One training night,have him go in as a "firefighter down" and see if your RIT can get him out??? Might scare him into reconsidering??

That being said, if he humps *** and comes back for more, maybe you need him?

PS- I tip in at 310 now and am on the way down....FIrefighting is my motivation, maybe it can motivate him.

BIGBRUU great job on losing the weight and keep up the good work. Plus you comments are good. I believe most of suffer from how best to address the problem as you said the wieght might not be a factor on his performance but could be the issue of something else goes wrong.

Phyiscals with the departments well I've been looking to see what other departments are doing along the phyical fitness area. Because believe me the only issue isn't those that are over wieght. There's alot of us out there that look ok but might have problems just waiting to sneak up on us. The bigger question is how do motivate and encourage members to include this as part of the job.

Any ideas?
    Stevejd
    www.lcvfd.com

BIGBRUU- What kind of a program are you using

Teetering precariously close to the edge of the earth.

The problem stemmed originally from my powerlifting background....I didn't do any cardio at all when I was training, al of my weight work was HEAVY and at a low weight/rep range.....diet wise I ate everything and my metabolism was slow....combine those things and you get a 5'11" 360lb behemoth!!

I first gradually changed my diet and am now following the weight watcher's program...I cut out heavy lifting all together and went to more of a maintenance program...with mod weight 8-15 rep ranges, plus I cut out most of the "mass" building exercises (squat, deadlifts etc..) and went to more isolation type work....and then the cardio....

I had to introduce cardio gradually, with my weight my joints were taking a pounding... I started by walking on the treadmill for 15mins a pop...I worked up to 30 mins and then increased the intensity to the point I was walking very fast/ semi jogging...Then I added 15 mins of stepper work, gradually up to 30 mins on the stepper..then the bike, same process....I'm now to the point that I'm doing 30 mins each of TM/Bike/and stepper 4 times a week.....I'm slowly trying to add in swimming now and then for a bit of variety.....

I've fallen off the wagon once and ballooned to 330 ,got it undercontrol and am back down to 310 and working on lower....

Most firefighters probably cringe when they read this....but I have managed to hold my own to date, I know my limitations, and I know when I need to rehab...If I ever find I can't keep up, I'm out!

Thread Information