Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Bullard T3, ISG K-80, Argus2 - Can anyone comment on these?

My department is currently in the beginning stages of evaluating TICs. I'm looking for any information you're willing to share on the following cameras:

ISG K-80

Argus2

Bullard T3

Thanks.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

I can't give you any info on these, but are these the only ones you are going to evaluate?

When we did the research for ours, we had all of the manufacturers bring one of their cameras to the Marad Training Center out by the Toledo airport. We were able to take each of these cameras and try them out for ourselves.

We chose the MSA Evolution 4000.........

It may not be "the best camera out there" in everyones opinion, but this worked out great for us.

I would suggest having all of the manufacturers bring them in on the same day so you can compare them all at the same time. We felt this worked much better, instead of having them come in at separate times and trying to "remember" what they were all like. We only had 1 salesman (who will remain nameless) who did not want to come in for it.

In my opinion, if a salesman doesn't want to participate in something like this they are either:
    1. not confident in their product or more confident w/ someone else's product

or

2. not confident in their salesmanship or more confident in someone else's

Good luck in your search.

*** Another tip I learned from here: When a salesman gives his talk on his product, have him hold the camera up at eye level, or just below it. You can time them all on how long they can hold up the camera while they talk, to see how tired your arms may get from holding it.......

MembersZone Subscriber

I listed those three because I couldn't find any info on those here on the forums. The other ones (full size Bullards, Scott, MSA 4000) I've found quite a bit of info and opinions on. Also, I'm personally very interested in the new smaller size TICs. (I should have also listed the MSA 3000 in my first post.)

Thanks for the tips, especially the holding the TIC at eye level one. We're going to attempt to set up a side by side comparison in the future, probably at Bedford's burn building.

BTW, your website looks good, I guess the tables suggestion helped

Stay safe
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

We have had an ISG K-90 since 2000 and we are getting another one later in the year. Interested in that or just in the K-80?
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

I've got some info on the K-90 and from what I've seen and heard it's pretty much the best. What's your experience with it?
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

I haven't had any problems with it and I like it. The picture quality is good and pretty clear. The only downfall I see to it is the "warm up time" from when you turn it on to when it is ready for use. Many people who don't know that it takes a while for the initial image to come up keep turning the camera on and off trying to get it to work. So if you are going to use it, don't wait till you are at the door to turn it on. Don't really know how that time period compares to other cameras.

I'm on two FDs. One of them has two of them. The other is getting its second one thru the State of CT grant. The other FD in my town also used the k-90.

I know in one of my FD's, we have the transmitter on it so we can send it to a TV at the command post. I am pretty sure the other FD in my town has the same option with their camera.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Default Bullard T3

My fire department is currently waiting to see if we will be getting federal grant money to purchase a Bullard T3 TIC but prior to applying for the grant we were given a T3 demo to use for several months and we were very pleased at how well such a cheap and small TIC worked. We used it on several working fires as well as training scenarios and it did everything we wanted it to do and more. Also in the near future upgrades packages for the T3 will be available for purchase so it will be up to par with the 20,000.00 plus cameras that are out on the market. But if your looking for a very cheap reliable camera I would go with the T3 if I were you. But if you can see what you can do about getting a demo from your local fire equipment company for your company to use so you can make an informed decision for your company. Good Luck.
    Chief 7 Ken Smith

The Bullard T3 and the ISG 80 are what we call "down and dirty" cameras.The picture size and clarity are somewhat reduced in these models.However they are attractively priced,if you currently have NO camera the choices are many.My advice would be to see who in your area sells cameras,get local references,see who has the best after sale service,get the nearby reps. to bring you a camera for evaluation,use the camera in a real world setting(ie a burn building)and have the members of your dept OBJECTIVELY evaluate the units.Any camera is better than no camera.Service is ,however, a primary consideration when purchasing one.Also consider the ease of battery replacement,particularly with gloved hands if you run a busy company.The two limitations to a cameras use are your imagination and it's battery life.T.C.

Forum Member

Rescue 101 is right, evaluate each one for yourself and see which one fits your needs as to ease of use and cost. If a vendor won't let you eval his against the others, then don't buy from them.

Myself, for out and out operational use I would prefer the T3: small, fits in a pocket, big easy to see screen, nice strap attachement you can hook to your SCBA (but you could make one of these for any TIC).

But then again, the MSA 3000, although not as small or with an easy to view by more than one-person screen, works great too and is available for less than $7,000.
    www.gvfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber CFD Hazards's Avatar

We have 3 of the Argus 2 TIC's. We really like them and if you are on a fixed budget, they are the cheapest around. During a recent training exercise, the battery in ours out lasted all of the others that you listed. The most expensive doesn't always mean the best.

I'd be interested in knowing which Argus you have.I've yet to see a cameras battery outlast a ISG K-90 on anyone elses camera.T.C.

Thread Information