Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: How much training must you attend to remain active?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 50% of Training only

1 12.50%
  • Less than 50% of all duties/functions

1 12.50%
  • Less than 75% of Training only

2 25.00%
  • Less than 75% of all duties/functions

1 12.50%
  • Other- Post below what your "Other" is...

3 37.50%
+ Reply to Thread

Question How Much Training Must You Attend To Remain Active?

Does your department have a policy on training attendance?

ie: you must attend 60% of all training or similar

We have a 60% policy, but no one seems to be able to clarify is it 60% in total of all functions or just training.

On the other hand, no one seems to want to address it because we might suddenly find oursleves taking a good long hard look at a lot of people! No win situation....
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

Between training, meetings and calls, we have to have at least a 50% attendance record, I believe.

Exceptions are granted, but it's got to be a legitimate reason. For instance, our firefighter meetings are on Tuesday nights. One of our Lts works every Tuesday night, so he is given an exception. Of course, he's there every other time the doors are open.

We'll probably have 60-80 calls this year, we have a firefighter meeting once a month, and training is scattered throughout the rest of the year, so it's not like 50% is difficult to maintain. Some people do seem to have problems with it...
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Hey Silver City, is that 60-80 calls in total?

We wish- last year was quite with around about 660, our best being 1112 calls! (Totally 100% volunteer, with no allowances, etc.)
    Luke

We have 3 different attendance requirements.

Fist off, you have to make 50% of drills each quarter to remain active. We used to have to make a certain percentage of calls, but the Board of Directors dropped that requirement in the 90's.

Then, for a year to qualify for your pension, you have to make 25% of calls.

Finally, to receive an incentive check from the town, you must make 12 drills and 12 calls a year. This isn't a problem for us, but the other FD in town doesn't have any drills.

My town is staffed by 100% volunteer departments.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

We've made 30-40 fire calls a year since '96. We doubled the size of our district this year, so 60-80 fire calls is an estimate (that's actual FIRES, usually grass/brush--not many people call for smoke investigations or suspicious odors in the country). We're planning on picking up rescue and non-transport EMS within the next year, so I figure we'll run 120+ in a couple of years.

We do a lot of reviews at our meetings...procedures, equipment operation, etc...simply because our calls are so infrequent that people tend to forget. It ain't rocket science, but it sure seems difficult to get some of this stuff to soak in...
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Miss 3 training meetings in a row and you are put on the inactive list. We dont have a policy for runs that I know of. Although the ones who dont come to training dont show up for runs either.
    Steve
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    SUA SPONTE
    "I've got no respect for any young man who won't join the colors."
    ~Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

My VFD requires 50% of Meetings(Drills Included) and Alarms
    My VRS has a somewhat more complicated policy.
    We have 2 meetings / month (Holidays permitting).

2 unexcused absences per quarter results in the loss of voting rights for the remainder of that quarter and the next quarter.

3 (or more) unexcused absences results in a review by the membership comittee and possible diciplinary action (including but not limited to loss of voting rights until further review)

Failure to maintain current certifications will result in the loss of voting rights, loss of call runniing status, and forfiture of any office held.

We decided not to impose a call percentage due to the fact that a person may pull all their assignd duty shifts in a month and never have a call to run. We tried tracking the fact that you were available for call on your duty night, but since we don't man our station when on duty - that also became a logistical nightmare to keep track of.

On a side note - I am required by the State of VA to attend 72 hours of continuing education every 3 years. National Registry requires the same 72 hours every 2 years. In order to keep from having to take the written test to recertify, My OMD requires that we have any 3 of the following classes as part of (or in addition to) our 72 hours.
    ACLS - PALS - NALS - PHTLS - ATLS - BTLS - Vehicle Extrication
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

on my dept i require 30 hours a year. this is the first year of this requirement. i will probably increase it to 50 for next year depending on how everyone finishes up.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Thread Information