Forum Member

Arrow White over red rigs

I've been told on several occasions that apparatus is being purchased in white over red paint combinations due to the fact that the cab stays cooler in the summer.

My question is this: has this theory ever been proven? The cab of the rig should be well enough insulated that I would think that the paint color would have any significant impact on the interior temperature.

Any answer out there?

Forum Member

I don't know of any studies. But it sure looks goooooooooooooooood!!!! To me its the color it should be.

Forum Member

White over red looks pretty good, on some trucks. I think some units don't look all that great in this combination.

I have seen several trucks that have the Black over Red paint scheme. I think this looks much sweeter than the white over red combination. Chicago and several companies in NJ have this combination and I just can't stop thinking it is a very attractive set-up.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Default WELL INSULATED? ROFLMAO!

Until recently, all our trucks were red, and our command vehicle was white.

We are preparing to put this deuce into service as a brush rig, and we decided to paint the top white.

We think it looks pretty snazzy. Plus, we THINK the cab will be cooler. White reflects everything - red absorbs everything except red.

Last edited by killerb; 07-22-2002 at 07:52 PM.
    Asst. Chief Bill

International Order of the Fraternal Brotherhood of the Club

Somewhere in or near north central Creek County, Oklahoma

In this day of air-conditioned cabs, I really don't think it matters if it did (which it probably didn't).

"Chicago" paint schemes have also appeared at a couple departments up here in Northeastern Connecticut...still not common in New England but gaining ground.

MembersZone Subscriber

We got our first (and only) white over red truck by accident in Dec. 2000.

The Mfg. either ordered or painted all their International chassis White over Red. When they built our truck, someone didn't notice that the cab was supposed to be all red.

It was only after the truck was set to be delivered and the final inspection / pick-up trip was made did we catch it. The Mfg. offered to repaint it to spec. (even after we brought it home to show the Dept.). We decided that it wasn't "that bad" and it would make it that much easier to distinguish our Tanker from our Engine.

Not sure we're ready to convert the whole fleet, but it's refreshing change around the house anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Hi
    If I remember correctly...The white over red paint scheme was because white reflects the warning lights on top of the cab. Making the rig more visible.

I've always been told that the white was originally used (out here in the desert anyway) because it holds up to sunlight better/longer than the red, and even when sun/weather damaged, it doesn't show it as obviously.
    Fiberglass forever!! (they won't let us have leather)

Forum Member

Arrow Great!

It appears that there are more reasons/answers to the question than one would think! Anyone else have an opinion on this?

By the way, I think that Silver City rig looks very well insulated. I'll bet it feels so good in the cab that they don't even turn on the air during the summer...
    Last edited by Box2565; 07-25-2002 at 03:53 AM.

Forum Member

I thought fire trucks were supposed to be red, all red! With the white on top and the reflective striping, red fire trucks aren't that red anymore.
    Give me 100% RED.

MembersZone Subscriber

By the way, I think that Silver City rig looks very well insulated. I'll bet it feels so good in the cab that they don't even turn on the air during the summer...
    Yeah, and it's QUIET, too.
    Asst. Chief Bill

My volly service has over 600 appliances and they are all white! We were origanally all red but due to the high amount of wildfires we noticed visibility in the smoke was really bad with red trucks so we went to white and found you could see the appliances much better. Now we are doing a lot more urban jobs and people don't seem to take notice of the white trucks in traffic. Their is talk of going to a lime green colour but we will wait and see. I think on the older trucks the white colour makes them cooler but only the officer and the driver sit in the cab the crew sit in the open cab , the newer dual cabs are air-con so it doesn't matter.
    These are my personal views and not those of my service.

MembersZone Subscriber

Their is talk of going to a lime green colour but we will wait and see.
    The U. S. went through the "lime green" fad in the 1970's. NEON lime green in some cases. At one point back there somewhere, there were actually more green fire trucks in the U. S. than any other color, I think.

The argument for it was that the "experts" determined that it was the most highly visible color. However, people don't necessarily recognize a lime green vehicle as a fire truck, especially when every other government agency that uses trucks seemed to be painting them lime green. Lime green pickups, lime green dump trucks, lime green buses, lime green garbage trucks, etc.

It seems there are a lot fewer green trucks today than there were 25 years ago.

I would think that in an area where all the fire trucks were purple, it wouldn't take long for people to recognize them as fire trucks, because there aren't that many purple trucks out there. I don't think it matters what color (or colors) they are as long as they are distinctive enough to be recognized for what they are.

When we get trucks from the Oklahoma Forestry Division, one of the provisos is that we must agree to paint the trucks either red, white, or green. This means we can't paint them orange, yellow, or blue. Why not? I don't know, but the state has an official opinion on it for some reason.

I really don't think about it much. If we could paint them any color we wanted, we'd paint them red, so it's a moot point.
    Asst. Chief Bill

The problem here in australia is that every government truck is white and the construction of some of our trucks makes them look like council truckswww.fire-brigade.asn.au and you can see what I mean by looking at this site.
    These are my personal views and not those of my service.

all our new appliences that are coming out now have white over red in the nsw rural fire service - australia.

Thread Information