Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Houston FD

Arrow Houston FD

Have the issues between City Hall and the HFD been resolved? I find it incredible to believe that a department of houston's size is operating with 3 people on the companies. Was staffing ever increased?

MembersZone Subscriber

Sad isn't it. The third largest department in the country having this situation. The 3 man crews have been increased to 4 and that still is not enough. We have 2 Heavy Rescue Co.'s covering 625 square miles if you can believe that. We have 83 Engine Co.'s with quite a few turning 4000+ runs a year. This has been through overtime because we are so short handed. And they don't like paying the overtime to say the least. We have 18 months with the current mayor who used to be the police chief in Houston. Hopefully we can turn a corner with a new mayor and improve staffing, pay and moral. But this is what you get when you work without a contract for 2 years and the PD got a new contract with a 23% pay raise over 3 years. They sold their sold to the devil to get the deal, but the got a hell of a raise none the less. Oh well, its the guys in the stations and on the rigs that do the job and still make it fun to do the job.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

Station 2

Does HFD still have a residency requirement???????

Am interested in working there, but was told that they have a requirement that you have had to have lived there before you were hired??

Can you shed any light to this
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-egh
    *** These are my opinions, they do not in any way reflect those of my department.***

Forum Member

Get ready folks. He'll be making an appearance in this thread, no doubt. He's on the Fire Chief's payroll in Houston. You all know who I'm talking about...that's right...Larry!

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

Yo Paets.. do you know the legend? If so, I feel personally honored to be acquainted with you! Does he come to the station without guards?

MembersZone Subscriber

Firefighter 631, as it stands right now there is a residency requirement but I believe it is within 150 miles. I do not believe you have to have resided in the Houston area prior to employment. I could be in correct and will have to check into that and let you know.

As for Larry, I know him as well and he is a consultant for the Fire Chief in Houston. He has done some work for my volunteer department as well and is a very, very sharp guy when it comes to the fire service. As for other issues, I'm keeping my mouth shut right now.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Thread Information