Thread: Honor Guards

Buckingham, PA. This is a north western suburb of Philadelphia.

Lightbulb Honor Guards

Two years ago our fire company formed a 12 member honor guard to honor the accomplishments and memories of our firefighters. Since then we have started to participate in ceremonies for other firefighters within the firefighting community. This year we will be participating in the National Fallen Firefighter service being held in Washington in October. I look forward to hearing from other Honor Guards that have participated in this ceremony in past years as well as groups that are preparing for this year's ceremony.

Be safe.
    Last edited by dhathaway; 07-22-2002 at 08:07 PM.
    Dave Hathaway

I attended in 1998 with a fellow Honor Guard member. Since that time, both of us left the city department we were employed with, and sought positions at a rapidly growing nearby department. Due to our association with and knowledge of Honor Guards, we were asked to form one for St. George Fire Department.
    We were scheduled to attend last years service, but due to 9/11 we had to cancel. Our State is home to the oil reserves for the US. I am proud to say we will be attending this years memorial. There will be seven of us, as 2 members are currently on active duty with the Military.
    We will make a 20 hour drive and we hope to visit fire depts along the way. I believe, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that we will be the only Honor Guard from Louisiana.

The NFFF Memorial Service cannot be expressed in words. It is something that must be experienced.
    http://thetravelingfirefighter.com

Never, never, never give up - Winston Churchill

I am with the Starke County Firefighters Association Honor Guard. We are located in Northern Indina and plan to send thirteen members of of guard to Washington for the Memorial.

Like most Honor Guards we do memorials in any location (Northern Indaian) were we are called. We also do the presentation of colors at special events.

The Starke County Honor Guard is made up of all volunteers and charge nothing for any service. Funding is all from the communitte. This same committee responded when the guard announced its plans to attend the Washington memorial as they have provided the funds to attend through donations and fundraisers.

The question that always comes up is what does an honor guard do? Simple, we honor our fallen brother or sister but more important we honor the family who shared their family member with us.

Thank you,
    Ted Bombagetti
    SCFAHG
    Starke County, Indiana

I as well as members of my Honor Guard will once again attend the National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Service this year I am glad to see SGFDQueen's post that a neighbor will also be there(I am from TX). There are not to many southerns states represented most years. Also if any one is interested I have placed a post in the Off Duty Discussion forum asking whom from these forums will be attending the service to see if any regulars to this forum may want to meet up while we are up there. so if anyone here wishes to meet up just go to the thread and post your name I will compile a list when time gets closer.
    Never forget the fallen.

Default Honor Guards

I was told on Saturday October 5th, there will be a meeting of the Honor Guard Captains to go over the Procession of Honor. Has anyone heard what time this meeting will take place and where it will take place?
    Dave Hathaway

Most of the time the meeting is held on Sat. Morning a few hours before the start of the Service. This year may be different I am sure all the info you will need will be given to you when you regester. Look me up I will probroly be helping out with that.
    Never forget the fallen.

Roger, thanks for your help. We have already registered as an attending honor guard via an e-mail. I'm told that there will be an information packet coming soon. Is there another registration process that takes place when we arrive? I appologize for all the questions, but this is the first time our Honor Guard is participating in the memorial service. We hope that that we will be able to attend each year. Thanks again for your help.
    Dave Hathaway

Forum Member

I am wanting to start an honor guard in our department and would like
    any and all information that I would need to make it work. We have class A uniforms, so what I need to know is what else would we need to get started. Also, sop'swould prove very hrlpful. I just want this to be very respectful and need details for every facet of the duties.
    Your help is very appricated.

Default Honor Guard Equipment

For anyone looking for a good company to purchase Honor Guard equipment from, such as flags, poles etc., to go www.paradestore.com. They can also be reached by phone (800) 653-5515. I recently purchased all new flag poles and accessories for our Honor Guard and they are great to work with. They have a great catalog. There is a video in the catalog on Military Honor Guards called "Honor and Glory: America's Military Honor Guards". This video will help to show you how to drill, flag placement etc. The catalog also has tips in it like what size flag is appropriate for what size pole. Their flag carring harnesses are very resonably priced. I hope this helps some of you looking for new equipment or for equipment needed to start a new Honor Guard.
    Dave Hathaway

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Alaska represented

15 members of the Anchorage Fire Department Honor Guard will be marching in both the National Fallen Firefighter Memorial in Washington and the FDNY Memorial Service.

We organized the Honor Guard this past spring and have marched in one parade and conducted one retired Fire Captain's graveside service.

We are funding the trip with a donation from our local, donations from private citizens and a couple of raffles.
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

Thread Information