Default Russian Smokejumping

Am I right in saying that the Russians pioneered smokejumping, in 1937. The first American jump was in 1939 to the best of my knowledge. Anyone know different?

Thanks

Ruairi
    None

Sr. Information Officer

Question

Wow...I never thought about the origins. I can't say I could confirm or deny that statement...where did you read that?
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

did you read that article about Russian smokejumpers in National Geographic?...i stumbled upon that and read it, interesting article...I dont remember what it said about the origin
    Firefighter, Gettysburg Fire Department
    Adams County Pennsylvania Company 1

Forum Member

with the Intermountain Region of the Forest Service (Region 4) out of Odgen, Utah in 1934 actually initiated the first experiment in the use of parachutes to drop men on fires.
    Experiments were conducted in the Winthrop, Washington area on the Chelan National Forest (now the Okanogan) during October 5th through November 15th in the 1939's.

Well so we (USA) really did the first pratice jumps, in the 1934's but they said it was too odd to drop a man out of a plane.

One thing is that the russia guys do have 10 times as many smoke jumpers as we do. they have around 4300 guys, who jump and we have around 600 or so.

But we also have helitack (slack) *yeah how many lunches do you want with that*

Hope it helps,
    Stay Safe

Default Smokejumping

Hi

Thanks for your help. I'm actually looking for some good pictures of smokejumping that I can buy for use in a magazine. It's a technical journal for fire fighters here in Ireland. Anyone have any or know who would have some. Thanks again.

Ruairi
    None

Forum Member

I would have to say the best place for pictures on jumping is www.spotfireimages.com
    www.spotfireimages.com
    Mike has been a jumper for a number of years and always gets some great photo's.

Hope it helps,

Thread Information