Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Info On FDNY R3 FF Rope Accident

Greetings all. I am currrently in a Rope Rescue Level 1 class. Does anyone (especially FDNY members) have any info, or know where I can get info on the fire that killed the FF from FDNY R3 on June 27, 1980. My insructor was telling me about two FF's being on a rope at an apartment fire when the rope failed. Is there any web sites that may have this story? I'm researching some of the incidents that have brought about changes in Rope Rescue standards. Thanks to anyone that may be able to help! Stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Any and all who know different feel free to correct me, but my recollection of the incident if I am thinking of the same one is as follows. It was a tenement type structure with a fire fighter on a lower floor cut off from the interior stairs. He made it to a window that opened into either a courtyard area or an air shaft without a fire escape. Rescue Co. 3 personnel set up and began a roof based rope rescue from the fire building with Rescue Co. 3 Fire Fighter Fitzpatrick going over the side. After making the pick-up of the stranded fire fighter, they continued the descent. At some point the rope failed and they both went down about 4-5 floors to the concrete courtyard type area below. After this incident I believe, again trying to recollect, that the roof rope rescue equipment and procedures were reviewed, revised and I believe the rope(s) for these evolutions changed. All please feel free to correct me if I missed or mis-stated anything.
    Last edited by STATION2; 07-24-2002 at 09:15 PM.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Thumbs up

Station 2.........Your just about 100% correct. The revisions made were to employ a piece of 2 1/2" hose as a guard against anything that was caustic or abrasive to the rope. In addition, Roof Ropes, for rescue purposes were to be used for ONLY that purpose, in the past we trained on the same ropes we used for potential rescues. An inspection type criteria was set-up, and when deemded necessary, the old rope is cut up for utility purposes....and is replaced by a new rope. Incidently, the ropes from that incident on, are made somewhat differently then their predecessors. Finally and ironically, the Rescue 3 Firefighter was named LARRY-Fitzpatrick! I do not believe there are any videos relating to this accident, however I may be incorrect at the same time!
    "All gave some...Some gave all!"
    9/11/01 Lest we forget!
    FDNYRR

Thank you for help Gentlemen. I appreciate your time and information. This is a big help. Stay safe and God Bless.

Thread Information