Thread: World Of Fire Report: 07-21-02
07-24-2002, 08:42 PM #1
World Of Fire Report: 07-21-02
*** America's Fire Paging Notification Network ***
Local & National reports from pager notification networks around the U.S.
(All times are in Central Daylight Time unless otherwise indicated)
Sunday, July 21, 2002
· EFFINGHAM (EFFINGHAM Co.), IL: 1210 S. 4th Street. Fire in the attic of a structure. Effingham FD on scene. [CIFN*99 H/L CIFN*2]. 12:25a.m.
· OLNEY (RICHLAND Co.), IL: Structure fire at the corner of Walnut & Pine. Olney FD on scene advising flames showing. [CIFN*99/HL CIFN*2]. 12:44a.m.
· BURRILLVILLE, RI: Working fire at 183 Rock Ave. Fire in an occupied house. *154.190* C304 [TAC9-C319]. 2:05a.m.
· Update – BURRILLVILLE (PASCOAG Co.), RI: Working fire at 183 Rock Ave. Fire in a 1.5-story wood frame. *154.190* C304 [TAC9-C319]. 2:22a.m.
· RALEIGH (WAKE Co.), NC: *2nd Alarm* 4749 Courtney Lane @ Courtney Square Apartments. Occupied 2-story wood frame Apartment building with fire 2nd floor & thru roof. 2nd Alarm b/o E19. 5" & 3" to hydrants. Evacuation tones sounded b/o C51. Resumed interior attack. 1.5 hr control. [CFP*702]. 2:56a.m.
· FARMINGTON, CT: Working fire in the 100 block of Brickyard Road. A building fire. *154.190* [TAC9-C09]. 4:26a.m.
· STLFN: ST.LOUIS Co. MO: Mehlville FPD *2nd Alarm* on arrival @ Delmar Gardens, 5300 Butler Hill Rd. Fire in the laundry room with heavy smoke thru-out building. Evacuations in progress. [STL899]. 6:33a.m.
· STLFN: HILLSDALE (ST.LOUIS Co.), MO: Normandy FPD *1st Alarm* @ North Market & Ludwig: Heavy fire in two houses. 2 lines off. [STL899]. 6:36a.m.
· STLFN: ST.LOUIS Co., MO: Mehlville FPD *3rd Alarm* @ Delmar Gardens Nursing Home, 5300 Butler Hill Rd. Fire in the laundry room with heavy smoke thru-out bldg. Evacuations in progress. [STL899]. 6:36a.m.
· STLFN: HILLSDALE (ST.LOUIS Co.), MO: Normandy FPD *2nd Alarm* @ North Market & Ludwig: Two houses well involved. Several lines working. [STL899]. 6:39a.m.
· STLFN: ST.LOUIS Co., MO: Mehlville FPD *3rd Alarm* & MCI Level I (5 Ambo response) @ Delmar Gardens Nursing Home, 5300 Butler Hill Rd. AMB's: 1737 1757 1327 1737 1727, EMS Chiefs: 1707 & 1706. [STL899]. 6:42a.m.
· STLFN: ST.LOUIS Co., MO: Mehlville FPD Update *3rd Alarm* & MCI Level I @ Delmar Gardens Nursing Home, 5300 Butler Hill Rd. Heavy smoke in building. Having problems with evacuations. [STL899]. 6:49a.m.
· STLFN: HILLSDALE (ST.LOUIS Co.), MO: Update - Normandy FPD's *2nd Alarm* @ North Market & Ludwig: All members accounted for. Move-ups made. Utilities notified. Red Cross ETA 60 - 90 minutes. [STL899]. 7:02a.m.
· STLFN: ST.LOUIS Co., MO: Update - Mehlville FPD's *3rd Alarm* & MCI Level I @ Delmar Gardens Nursing Home, 5300 Butler Hill Rd. Command reports all personnel accounted for. Fire is under control. Move-ups made. [STL899]. 7:02a.m.
· STLFN: HILLSDALE (ST.LOUIS Co.), MO: Update - Normandy FPD's *2nd Alarm* @ North Market & Ludwig: Normandy Command reports fire is under control & Firefighters are in overhaul operations. *FINAL* [STL899]. 7:18a.m.
· STLFN: (Overnight 00:35hrs) West Alton FD of (St. Charles Co.), MO: MVA @ Hwy 94 and Dwiggins Rd: Possible ejection. Christian Ambo, 9910 on scene & ARCH 4 flew. [STL107]. 7:24a.m.
· SCARBOROUGH, ME: MVA on Rte.95 Southbound, south of Exit 6A. Multi-injuries. Jaws in use. *154.13* [TAC9-C32]. 8:27a.m.
· EAST DERRY, NH: MVA on Hampstead Rd at the "S" curve. Rollover with Jaws in use. Medflight requested *154.13* [TAC9-C32]. 8:53a.m.
· EXETER, NH: All Companies working - 75 Port St. Furnace fire in a occupied multiple dwelling. Evacuations in progress. 1 line runs. Dry Chemical in operation. *154.400* [TAC9-C32]. 9:26a.m.
· STLFN: GRANITE CITY (MADISON Co.), IL: Granite City FD has a working fire in area of Wilson Park Lane & North Wilson Park. Structure fully involved - thru the roof. Numerous lines off. [STL899]. 10:22a.m.
· STLFN: CAHOKIA (ST. CLAIR Co.), IL: Camp Jackson FD has a house fire near 2320 Carol St. Reported to be well involved. Mutual Aid Co.'s also responding. [STL810]. 11:29a.m.
· STLFN: CAHOKIA (ST. CLAIR Co.), IL: Update - Camp Jackson FD’s - House fire near 2320 Carol St: Reported to be well involved. M/A from Prairie DuPont FD. Red Cross Canteen en-route - ETA 20-30 minutes. Heat Index is 103 degrees. [STL810]. 11:42a.m.
· SALISBURY CT: (Lakeville District) – Working fire at 189 Salmon Kill Rd. A Silo fire. Additional M/A requested. *33.70* [TAC9-C09]. 11:51a.m.
· STLFN: CAHOKIA (ST. CLAIR Co.), IL: Update - Camp Jackson FD’s - House fire @ (correction) 2317 Carol St. Dupo FD is standing by for Prairie DuPont FD. [STL810]. 11:54a.m.
· STLFN: CAHOKIA (ST. CLAIR Co.), IL: Update on Camp Jackson FD’s working house fire - well involved @ 2317 Carol St: M/A requested for Alorton FD. Illinois Power notified. Heat Index = 103. [STL810]. 12:03p.m.
· STLFN: CAHOKIA (ST. CLAIR Co.), IL: Update on Camp Jackson FD's working fire @ 2317 Carol St: 1-story Trailer fire - now on the ground - total loss. Minor extension to exposures each side. Fire may have started in vehicle next to trailer. Red Cross & Salvation Army Canteens on scene. [(H/L)STL810/899]. 12:41p.m.
· STLFN: BROOKLYN (ST.CLAIR Co.), IL: Brooklyn FD has a working structure fire @ 112 N. 3rd Street. [STL899]. 12:56a.m.
· STLFN: BROOKLYN (ST.CLAIR Co.), IL: Update - Brooklyn FD's working structure fire @ 112 N. 3rd Street. M/A is responding from Fairmont City FD. [STL107/STL899]. 1:04p.m.
· STLFN: ST.LOUIS, MO: STLFD Marine Unit Task Force is responding to a report of a boat in distress on the Mississippi River, 2 miles south of the Chain Of Rocks Bridge. PUMPERS: 26 & 20, BC806 also responding. [STL899]. 1:34p.m.
· STLFN: CAHOKIA (ST.CLAIR Co.), IL: Update - Camp Jackson FD’s working fire @ 2317 Carol St. This is a *FATAL* fire. 4 year-old child found dead on scene. St. Clair Co. Sheriff & Medical Examiner on scene. State Fire Marshal responding with a 3 hour ETA. [(H/L)STL899]. 1:59p.m.
· STLFN: ST.LOUIS, MO: Update on STLFD’s Marine Unit Task Force - Report of a boat in distress on the Mississippi River, 2 miles south of the Chain Of Rocks Bridge. Situation is under control. Units returning in service. [STL899]. 2:01p.m.
· PROVIDENCE, RI: Working fire - Box 1323 at 58 Baxter St. E-10 reports heavy fire floor 2 of a 2- story wood frame vacant structure. *151.220* [TAC9-C51]. 2:08p.m.
· HARTFORD, CT: Working fire at 81 Nelton Court. Building fire. Request for additional EMS for multi-victims. CT80 [TAC9-C32]. 2:09p.m.
· Update – PROVIDENCE, RI: Working fire - Box 1323 at 58 Baxter St. Fire in a 2-story wood frame vacant structure. 1 10-45 unknown Code to RIH. S/C for an additional Engine, Ladder and Rescue. 2 lines stretched operating - making good progress. *151.220* [TAC9-C51]. 2:15p.m.
· BALTIMORE, MD: 2nd Alarm on arrival b/o BC2: 3-story vacant building with heavy smoke on all 3 floors. Box 13-19 at 36 W. Biddle St. [DC15]. 2:25p.m.
· BALTIMORE, MD: 3rd Alarm at 18 W. Biddle St. BC2 requesting 3rd assignment. Heavy fire thru out a vacant 3-story structure. [DC15]. 2:30p.m.
· BALTIMORE, MD: **4th Alarm** Shift Commander reporting building well involved. Correct address of 36 W. Biddle St. [DC15]. 2:41p.m.
· WAKEFIELD, NH: Motorcycle Accident on Rte.153 by the R.R. Tracks. 1-1045C2 lower extremity trauma. Request Huggins Hospital Trauma Team activation in Wolfboro. *154.175* [TAC9-C32]. 2:50p.m.
· BALTIMORE, MD: **5th Alarm** Box 13-19 at 36 W. Biddle St. 3 additional Medics en-route. Still DWH. [DC15]. 3:10p.m.
· MFN-Update: BALTIMORE, MD: *5th Alarm sounded* Building fire at West Biddle St. and Maryland Ave. Command reporting a 3-story structure with heavy fire through the roof. Master streams in service. [MFN87 MFN1]. 3:10p.m.
· BALTIMORE, MD: 6th Alarm struck - Box 13-19 at 36 W. Biddle St. 3-4 story irregular shaped vacant building 100x125. All heavy fire knocked down. Several Firefighters with heat exhaustion. All interior attack. [DC2 O/S DC15]. 3:20p.m.
· STLFN: CENTREVILLE (ST.CLAIR Co.), IL: Midway FD is on scene of a working house fire @ 217 N. 82nd St. Midway FD put in a call for additional manpower. (STL 835). 3:33p.m.
· GREENE TWP., (TRUMBULL Co.), OH: 3rd Alarm brush fire 9000 Hoagland-Blackstub Rd. Station 25 with M/A from Stations: 26, 29, 17, 38 & 15. [TC911/FPO/258/D703] (C). 3:46p.m.
· Update – BALTIMORE, MD: 6th Alarm Box 13-19 at 36 W. Biddle St. By Orders of Chief of Operations: Fire is under control. 1female Firefighter injured – Priority 2 in a ground ladder accident. [DC2 O/S. DC15]. 4:24p.m.
· 2nd Alarm Equiv. NIAGARA ON THE LAKE, ONTARIO, CANADA: 14902 Niagara River Parkway. Possible Art Gallery. DWH ATT *153.770* TFN409 [TORONTO FIRENET-TAC9]. 4:36p.m.
· CHICAGO, IL: A 2-11 Alarm at 123rd & Indiana b/o 2-2-6. Reported as an outside rubbish fire that extended into a 1-story truss roof building 50x125. 1TL, 1Snorkel, 1 Deck Gun & 4 handlines working so far. Collapse Zone set up. [CHGO6/1/3/5/7/138] (C). 4:58p.m.
· NORTH KINGSTOWN, RI: Working fire on Post Rd. Fire in a commercial building. Heavy fire in the rear of the building. *154.235* C304 [TAC9-C319]. 5:12p.m.
· Update - NORTH KINGSTOWN, RI: Working fire on Post Rd. Fire in a 1.5-story brick. Fire in the rear loading dock. Fire is knocked down & PWH. *154.235* C304/C51 [TAC9-C319]. 5:26p.m.
· STRAFORD, CT: Working fire at 6900 Main St. at the Sikorsky Airport. Structure fire. CT173/156 [TAC9-C319]. 5:57p.m.
· STLFN: ST.LOUIS, MO: STLFD has a working fire next door to 1737 Marcus. Fire on the 2nd floor of a 2-story brick building. 1 line off. [STL899]. 7:29p.m.
· MANHATTAN, NY: **2nd Alarm** Box 953 at 200 E. 6th St. @ 3rd Ave. 6-story brick 150x75 occupied multiple dwelling with fire out windows of the 4th floor. 2 lines run. DIV-3 [MNS-30] * 7:33p.m.
· Update – MANHATTAN, NY: **2nd Alarm** Box 953 at 200 E. 6th St. @ 3rd Ave. 6-story 150x75 occupied multiple dwelling. Fire APT. 4B on the 4th floor. BN-10 SAFETY COR, BN-11 COMCORD. Request NYPD for traffic control on 3rd Ave. DIV-3 [MNS-30] * 7:41p.m.
· Update – MANHATTAN, NY: **2nd Alarm** Box 953 at 200 E. 6th St. @ 3rd Ave: 6-story brick 150x75 occupied multiple dwelling with fire 4th floor. Main body fire knocked down. Primary searches delayed on fire floor due to Colliers Mansion condition. DIV-3 [MNS-30] * 7:48p.m.
· Update – MANHATTAN, NY: **2nd Alarm** Box 953 at 200 E. 6th St. @ 3 Ave. 6-story brick occupied multiple dwelling. Fire knocked down & searches underway. PWH DIV-3 [MNS-30]* 7:50p.m.
· Update – MANHATTAN, NY: Box 953 - correction to address of 200 E. 63 St. @ 3 Ave. 6-story brick OMD with fire 4th floor. Searches were delayed due to Colliers Mansion. Primary search now negative. S/C for L12 for relief. Fire still PWH b/o DIV-3. [MNS-30] * 7:54p.m.
· BRIDGEPORT, CT: MVA at Park Ave and Maplewood Ave. 3 vehicles involved, (1) subject entrapped. R-5 X2. CT173/CT80 [TAC9-C33]. 8:11p.m.
· MERIDEN, CT: Working fire at 38 Locust St. Fully involved structure. Request for an additional Engine to the fire. C304 [TAC9-C319]. 8:39p.m.
· Update – MERIDEN, CT: Working fire at 38 Locust St. Fire in a 3-story vacant house. Fire on all floors. Exterior operations. S/C 1 additional Engine M/A. Engine & Ladder for cover. *154.130/46.38* C09/C304 [TAC9-C319]. 8:49p.m.
· 3rd Alarm – MERIDEN, CT: 38 Locust St. Fire in a 3-story vacant house. Fire on all floors. Exterior operations. Fire is DWH. *154.130* C09/C304 [TAC9-C319]. 8:56p.m.
· WALLINGFORD, CT: MVA at 570 Center Street. 2 vehicles involved - both requiring extrication. Lifestar requested to the scene. *154.220* [TAC9-C09]. 9:14p.m.
· Update – WALLINGFORD, CT: MVA at 570 Center Street. Extrication still in progress. 2-1045's: 1 C1 (Fatal) on scene and 1 C2+ multi-system trauma - unconscious for LifeStar. *154.220* [TAC9-C09]. 9:23p.m.
· 2nd Alarm – SEYMOUR, CT: on Roosevelt Drive, "Acts Colony Inn" 2-story wood frame - well involved on arrival. CT173/80 [TAC9-C519]. 10:30p.m.
· TORONTO, CANADA: 2nd Alarm at 6 Park Vista at Dawes Rd; Large outside fire fed by large gas main. Gas Company now on scene. Several surrounding occupied multiple dwellings to be evacuated due to gas fumes. C20 request DIV Commander to scene. TFN313 [TORONTO FIRENET-TAC9]. 10:46p.m.
· 3rd Alarm – SEYMOUR, CT: on Roosevelt Drive, "Acts Colony Inn" 2-story wood frame structure. Still heavy fire conditions. CT173/80 [TAC9-C519]. 10:47p.m.
· 4th Alarm – SEYMOUR, CT: on Roosevelt Drive, "Acts Colony Inn" 2-story wood frame Banquet Hall. All Companies ordered out of the building. Partial collapse of structure. CT173/80 [TAC9-C519]. 10:52p.m.
· Update – TORONTO, CANADA: 2nd Alarm at 6 Park Vista. S/C HR332+Haz332+SPT-7. 2 seperate fires fed by major gas pipeline. TFS to contain fire in holding stance. May take up to 12 hours to cut gas flow. TFN313 [TORONTO FIRENET-TAC9]. 10:54p.m.
· GREENE TWP. (TRUMBULL Co.), OH: 4th Alarm+ brush fire at 9000 Hoagland Blackstub Rd. Trumbull/Geauga/Portage County Tanker Shuttle activated. Additional M/A from Stations: 19, 23, 27, 44 & 33. Very extended operations. [TC911/FPO/258/D703] (C). 11:00p.m.
· Update – TORONTO, CANADA: 2nd Alarm at 6 Park Vista: 5 lines stretched operating on fire. Two Portable Turrets and 1 Ladder Pipe covering exposure occupied multiple dwelling. Fire burning during major T-storm. Fire possibly caused by lightning. No ETA for gas shutoff. Command-30 special called extra Police to keep spectators away. TFN313 [TORONTO FIRENET-TAC9]. 11:21p.m.
*** FirePage Ohio Report for July 21, 2002 ***
FirePage Ohio® covers all of Ohio, Western Pennsylvania, Northern Kentucky and we will soon add Eastern Indiana and the City of Indianapolis. Beginning in 2002, we will be sending all of our incident notifications via E-Mail. So, if you carry an alphanumeric pager, PDA or cell phone, and that device has an email address, we can get the information to you.
For additional information, you can contact us at our office, (937) 399-4197, email us at email@example.com or visit our web site at http://www.firepageohio.com.
If you'd like to report an incident, please call our hotline number: 1-888-342-0143, and leave a message. Please make sure you include your name and a call back number.
This report is complied by FirePage Ohio® Dispatcher Scott Berringer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Columbus: MVA/PIN 461 Commerce Square Ct. Cos: Eng 12, Med 195 (Franklin Twp), 12, 17, Res17cuE, Res2cuE, EMS 15, BN 5. Heavy entrapment. Level 1 Trauma. FPO/D260 ©
Columbus: MVA/PIN 461 Commerce Square Ct. BN 5 requesting MedFlight. Victim still pinned. Both rescues working. FPO/D260 ©
Columbus: MVA/PIN 461 Commerce Square Ct. Extrication complete. MedFlight # 1 to Grant with 30s male, multi-systems trauma. Sullivant Ave closed. FPO/D260 ©
Cleveland: W/F East 71 near Aetna. BN 2 reports a 2 sty house well involved. Cos: Eng 11, 26, Lad 11, Squad 1, & BN 2. Eng 13 - Worker. Lad 13 - RIT. Exposure problems. FPO/D700 ©
Auburn Twp (Geauga): MVA/TRAUMA US 422 WB Just East of Munn Rd. Motorcycle MVA. MLF # 2 (5128) S/C'd. M/A Bainbridge FD. LZ in Eastbound lanes. FPO/D703 ©
West Lake, PA (Erie): W/F 1220 Industrial. Cos: Eng 4, 9, 17 (West Ridge), Lad 2, RP 1, Util 7, Squad 6. Smoke from roof of comm'l bldg. Eng 55 (Lake Shore) S/C'd. FPO/801/D800 ©
Xenia (Greene): W/F 842 East Market St. 2.5 sty Group Home. Cos: Eng 1311, 1341, Lad 1331, Med 1335. Xenia Twp Eng 511 - FAST Team. All clear on searches. FPO/1001/D703 ©
Xenia (Greene): W/F 842 East Market St. Command requesting call back of 5 FFs & 1 Lt for relief. FPO/1001/D703 ©
Greene Twp (Trumbull): 3rd Alarm Brush Fire 9000 Hoagland Blackstub Rd. Sta 25 with M/A from Sta 26 (Gustavas), 29 (Johnston), 17 (Bristolville), 38 (Mecca), & 15 (Bloomfield Twp). TC911/FPO/258/D703 ©
Dalton (Wayne): W/F on Arnold Rd. Fully involved barn fire with extension to brush. Grass trucks S/c'd. FPO/D701 ©
Cleveland: W/F 3323 Bradwell. House fire with reports of infant trapped. Cos: Eng 20, 42, Lad 20, Squad 2, & BN 4. Eng 24 - Worker. Lad 42 - RIT. Tactical Res5cuE & AC 1 on the card. FPO/D703 ©
Euclid (Cuyahoga): Extra Company MVA Babbitt & St Clair Ave. Cos: Lad 1, Res 1, 2, 3. FPO/D703 ©
Columbus: W/F 583 Freebis Ave. Cos: Eng 14, 15, Lad 22, Res2cuE, Med 14, BN 4. BN 4 reports fire on 2nd floor of 2 sty house. FPO/D284 ©
Columbus: W/F 583 Freebis Ave. RIC: Eng 3, Med 2, EMS 14, SO 2. FPO/D284 ©
Columbus: W/F 583 Freebis Ave. BN 4 reports fire K/D. Holding Eng 14, 15, Lad 22, Med 14, BN 4. FPO/D284 ©
Liberty Twp (Trumbull): MVA/PIN SR 304 & I-80. Cos: Res34cuE, Med 35 entoure. 1 victim extricated, transported to St Elizabeths. Trauma team alerted. FPO/D323* ©
Columbus: W/F 101 Cleveland Ave. Cos: Eng 9, 3, 2 (War Wagon), Lad 2, 8 (Fire Fightin' 8's), Res2cuE, Med 2, BN 1, 4. Res2cuE reports multi-unit structure. BN 1 (Bauman) has command. FPO/221/D284 ©
Columbus: W/F 101 Cleveland Ave. RIC: Eng 1, Med 1, EMS 13, SO 2. Eng 7, Lad 1 (Top Gun), Med 18, EMS 11 on scene. Heavy fire 2nd floor. FPO/221/D284 ©
Columbus: W/F 101 Cleveland Ave. Add Eng 18, Med 7, BN 3 to the card. BN 1 reports fire K/D. Holding all companies. FPO/221/D284 ©
Greene Twp (Trumbull): 4th Alarm + Brush Fire 9000 Hoagland Blackstub Rd. Trumbull/Grauga/Portage County Tanker Shuttle Activated. Add'l M/A from Sta 19, 23, 27, 44, & 33. Very Extended ops. TC911/FPO/258/D703 ©
--- Pages Today: 20
--- Pages YTD: 2598
*** REPORT FROM THE LINE OF FIRE ***
Manhatten, N.Y. 07/21/02 @ 20:15 hrs.
Lenox Hill Section, East Side
address: 200 East 63rd. Street
between: 2nd. Ave. & 3rd. Ave.
953 @ 20:15
Engs. 39, 8, 44
Lads. 16, 2,
10 - 75 - 953 @ 20:19
TowerLadder 13 is designated as the "FAST" Truck
Rescue Co. #1
Squad Co. #18
Batt. 9 Division 3
6 Story Brick 150 x 75 M.D.
Exp. #1: Is a Street
Exp. #2: Is a Alley
Exp. #3: Is a Similar Type attach
Exp. #4: Is a Street
All - Hands:
7 - 5 - 953 @ 20:25
Batt. 8 reports, Were using all - hands for a fire in a 4th. floor apartment of a 6 story brick multiple dwelling. Fire is showing out the windows. 2 - lines stretched, 1 - line in operation. Fire is Doubtful.
2 - 2 - 953 @ 20:31
Engs. 65, 21, 54, 22
Lads. 25, 7
Batt. 10 "Safety Cord."
Batt. 11 "Comm. Cord."
Eng. 9 / Satalite 1
Fieldcom 1 Tac. Support Unit #1
Car 4 "David" City Wide Tour Commander
Division 3: Main body of fire knocked down. Searches are still in progress. Fire is Still Doubtful.
Division 3: Primary search of the fire floor will be delayed due to a "Colliers Mansion" condition "K"
Division 3: Fire is Probably Will Hold. Primary search of the fire floor is negative, with the exception of the fire apartment.
Special Call an add. Truck Co. for relief purposes. Lad. 12 is s/c
Division 3: Primary search of the fire apt. is negative.
Division 3: Secondary searches still in progress due to Colliers Mansion conditions. Fire is still Probably Will Hold.
Division 3: Fire is UnderControl.
Division 3: Secondary searches of the entire fire floor is negative.
***BALTIMORE, MARYLAND FIRE HISTORY***
for July 21st:
1966: 4 Alarms - Box#8729 - 2734-2738 Reisterstown Rd - Mondawmin (Northwest Of Downtown) - Fire involved an apartment building. (CHM1)
1969: 4 Alarms - Box#5722 - 1433hrs - 507-509 W Lombard St - Downtown West - Fire involved the 6 story brick former Turner-White Casket Company, now occupied as a storage warehouse by the University Of Maryland Hospital - A 2nd alarm was called for @ once by Captain Joseph Hasson, T-2, & 3rd & 4th alarms were sounded by DC-2, Edward J. Schneider, within the next 10 minutes - Flames & clouds of thick smoke blew out of every opening in the 6 story brick double building - (4) firefighters were trapped on the stairway to the 3rd floor by a wall of flames that mushroomed down on them suddenly - Comrades noticed their plight & rushed up an aerial ladder & poured water through a 3rd floor window to cover the trapped men, until they made their way out of the blazing building - None of them were seriously injured - They were Firefighters Brian G. Rigby, E-27, Gerard P. Derwort & William D. Lieske, T-2, & Carl E. MacDonald, E-15 - The former coffin factory interior was entirely burned out - The Reserve 1898 Hale Water Tower, responding in place of Water Tower #1 (Snorkel) which was out of service for repairs, may have made it's last stand against the demon fire - It was a real old time attraction as the 65' high mast & deck turret pipe sprayed millions of gallons of water upon the blaze - The high pipe was credited with extinguishing the fire in the top floors. (TUH)
George T. Ehrman
· The Original Chicago FireHISTORY: July 19, 1974: TRUCK 12 to new quarters at 1101 S. California Ave. at Engine 107. SEVENTY-FIVE YEARS AGO on July 20, 1927 TRUCK 24 to new quarters at 10400 S. Vincennes – site of previous house, and they are still here in the ONLY single Truck house in Chicago. *July 21, 1980 ENGINES 67 & 117, SNORKEL 4 and the 23rd BATTALION to new quarters at 4900 W. Chicago Ave. [CHGO-18/KL]. 8:29p.m.
*** ST. LOUIS COUNTY FIRE DEPT's WEB PAGE *** by Mike Land ****
Due to Mike's busy schedule at work he hasn't had time to update the web-site but appreciates all the updated info he receives. He'll use this info when he finally gets a chance to update the site.
"COLLIERS TYPE CONDITION"
A FDNY fire was paged as a "colliers type condition".
What is a "colliers type condition".
The term is derived from a turn of the century mansion owned by the Collier brothers. They were quite eccentric and obsessed with collecting things to the point that the mansion was filled with junk from wall to wall, floor to ceiling. To avoid eviction they booby trapped the place. One of the brothers fell ill. The other brother took to caring for him. While he was returning to the sick room he fell victim to one of his own booby traps and died. The sick brother died of dehydration waiting for him. It took the fire department days to recover the bodies.
The term is used to describe any dwelling that is similarly filled with trash, making operations difficult and extensive.
Supv. Dispatcher, FDNY
*** FireNet Group Of The Day: ***
CityWide Paging Hartford, CT, Connecticut's largest Fire & News Paging system now in our 8th year with over 1,200 members. CWP provides fire, accident and major news paging to our membership made up of public safety, media and buffs through out the state of Connecticut. CWP has 30 volunteer dispatchers and operates a toll free in state hotline available to all members. CWP offers service on various Motorola pagers with service customized to the member's needs. CWP operates on MobileComm Service, and now available on MobileComm Flex service. CWP offers a secondary paging service to off system pagers. We have the ability to send timely customized pages for incidents in our coverage area of Connecticut, Western Massachusetts, Rhode Island and the New York boarder towns to any individual pin number in Connecticut or in the USA on any paging service for a small yearly fee. CWP provides a free national service available to any paging group, big or small, in the US. Any group interested receiving CWP USA Paging contact Frank Papa Jr. @ email@example.com
Citywide Paging Ken Kalos / Frank Papa Jr.
P.O.Box 575 Connecticut
Newington, CT 06131
Special Thanks to everyone who contributes fire news. ALSO a BIG THANKS to ALL FireNet pager groups who provide St. Louis FireNet with fire info. For a listing of these groups and how you can get a fire pager please e-mail me at:
World Of Fire E-Mail:
SUBSCRIBE TO World Of Fire Daily Report at:
Subscribe via e-mail to: WOF_Reportfirstname.lastname@example.org
View working fires reports & pictures at:
Content Copyright © 1998-2002 - World Of Fire Report. All Rights Reserved
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)