Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: close calls?

Default close calls?

Has anyone had a recent close call while responding to a call and avoiding a collision?

Nothing is worse than crossing three major roads to get to the firehouse and having to deal with midday new york traffic!
    " truck till the casket drops "

www.lynbrookfd.org

My views and opinions do not represent the views and standards of the Department or Company that I belong to.

We almost had a head-on once with the county dept. that I'm also on. We were responding to a structure fire approx. 10 miles from the station. We were responding w/lights, strobes, and siren, in our 95 E-One, 55' snorkel down a major 2 lane hwy. When an oncoming vehicle was slowing and moving to the right, another car passed it and came into our lane! I'm here to tell ya, at 65mph that truck doesn't turn or stop on a dime! We went onto the shoulder and the car missed our front bumper by inches. We could have had a mess by just inches. Hopefully this will never happen again, but when the pager goes off, you never know.
    Stay Safe!!!!

"Just remember. No matter where you go. There you are!"

Riding in the back of an ambulance, I'm in the swivel chair. We're headed north, on one two lane highway crossing another.

My "OH****AMETER" redlined when I saw a car in the westbound lane of intersecting highway through the side door to the box. This is not good, Mav...this is not good...he pulls an "escape right" and we had to end up side-by-side for a brief moment as he executed a high speed right angle turn while trying to avoid us.

How close? The other cars evasive maneuvers landed him 200' up on the NORTHbound highway before he came to a stop...with me seeing him through the back doors of the ambulance.

I still really have no idea how he managed to get where he got without loosing control of the vehicle.

Fortunately, that's the closest I've come. Other than a couple times in my (much) younger days involving inattention resulting in unplanned donuts on snow, but neither of those risked anyone but myself and POS truck.

My deatmenrt awnsered a one car rollover the other night and on our way the RCMP passed one of our teucks and dam near ran them off the road, the hit the shoulder and the cops flew past.
    Always Remember:
    FireFighters Never Die,
    They Just Eat Smoke and Breath Fire!

Ok, worse than a seeing a car out of the side door of the ambulance. About 10 years ago before closed cabs and intercoms (by the way, can anyone explain why the Batt Chief needs one alone in his suburban??), we're on the way to a structure fire, victims trapped, multiple calls.. The whole nine yards. The place is right one the border of our first due so we're trying to get there first of course. We're going south, other company is coming north and we both have to turn at the same place. I'm in the jumpseat trying to remember everything I might need to do and kind of amazed at the speed we had reached, make the turn and what do I see coming right at me? The other engine, coming right at us, I thought for sure I was going to be a hood ornament, almost had to change pants.
    I still have no idea if the drivers or capt. had worked it out over the radio about who was going first, or if it was just luck. Looking back, it sure was fun. But I'd rather not do it again.

BTW, it turned out to be a fully involved mobile home, victim died way before we got there, found what was left a few hours later.

Stay safe... I've noticed that nowdays I really don't drive any faster weather the lights are on or not (except maybe at three am), nothings worth taking out that family on their way home or the bus full of nuns. You won't get there any faster.

Originally posted by JrFF
    My deatmenrt awnsered a one car rollover the other night and on our way the RCMP passed one of our teucks and dam near ran them off the road, the hit the shoulder and the cops flew past.

what?

www.lynbrookfd.org

My views and opinions do not represent the views and standards of the Department or Company that I belong to.

When I first got in I was on my way to an automatic alarm at an apartment complex. I wasnt really familiar with the names of the apartment buildings, and I wasnt aware if you turn your pager to 2 you can hear units giving a 21 and 22 ( leaving and arriving ). So I see a green light at an intersection on the way to my firehouse that is NEVER green and I floor it a half a block away from the light, and an engine who is housed 2 blocks away is now at full speed ready to blow the light. As I hit the dip in the intersection I now hear the siren and see the lights comming at me. A quick hard right and a hard left across oncomming lanes ( no traffic ), its about 1 am and I come to rest in a parking lot white as a ghost.

Of course the engine company swears their light was green, and their word to a probies is almost as good as gold until another deptartment member witnessed the whole deal and cleared my name, of course everything was squashed in the end. No call is worth getting wiped out for, espcially burnt toast at 1 am.

www.lynbrookfd.org

Default Self Stupidity Close Call

I sort of had a close call last week...It is very stupid now that I think of it. When I pull into the hall parking lot I make a very sharp left turn (to angle park nearly 180 degrees from the direction I came). I am normally driving a standard transmission so the truck is shutoff and I am often opening the door as I roll to a stop. Here is were the physics come into play. Last week I was responding to the hall, however my girlfriend was driving (also a FF)....There are a number of factors that made this particularily dangerous (as tempting as it is I will refrain from any women driver jokes .

1) The doors on her old Buick are much heavier and longer than the doors on my little toyota truck.

2) I wasn't driving so I had more time to think about opening the door and getting into the hall ("think" is a questionable word here .

3) I was on the passenger side instead of the driver side while going around a sharp left turn.

Long story short....I opened the door too soon and the centrifugal force whipped the door open and my body promptly tried to follow...Luckily I managed to hang onto the door handle and catch myself and the door missed the vehicle next to us (and the FF getting out of it) by just a couple of inches...

It wasn't necessarily a life-threatening situation (unless I did a lot of damage to the other FFs truck with my head but it shows how quickly things can go wrong when you aren't thinking...

Default Close call in a snow storm

Happened about 25 years ago in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California. The ambulance was a 60's Dodge panel truck. Driver was also the owner of the private ambulance service. Emt in the passenger seat and me kneeling between the seats. (no third seat)
    Heading north in a blizzard on a divided 4 lane highway enroute to a major crash. Just approching the summit when out of the snow we see a southbound car coming straight at us. I hit the deck, as did the right seat passenger. Just knew we were going to hit hard.
    After a few momments, I raised up to peek out the window to see we're still northbound,nothing to see but snow falling. Partner and I look and each other, then look at the driver and ask, "What happened to that car?" Driver glanced at us and as serious as a heart attack, replied, "What car?"
    My partner and I looked at each other and we both felt the hair raise on the back of our necks. Can still feel that sensation recalling the story now.
    A quote from Firefighter Timothy Stackpole, FDNY (borrowed from Bits & Pieces magazine)<br />"The greatest high you can get in life is by helping somebody."

Thread Information