Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: Help me out....

Lightbulb Help me out....

Hello fellow brothers and sisters!

I'm a volunteer ff in Northern Illinois. One of my non-ff friends and I got into a discussion the other day about "on-scene" priorities. He doesn't agree that OUR OWN safety comes first. he's one of those people who you constantly hear say "I pay your salary with my tax money" So what he's trying to get to is, either himself or his house/vehicle or whatever it may be should be our number one priority instead of ourselfs. we argued about this til both of our heads were blue in color Send some replys to this and let me know what you think about the subject or my friend....i will pass them on to him just to let him know i'm not the only one out there that takes care of myself first!

May God Bless!

Micheal Vest
    Harvard, Illinois

If you get hurt or any of your crew gets hurt, how are you taking care of the incident? Someone (probably several other firefighters) is going to have to attend to your injuries and won't be available to mitigate the situation.
    MGB&KY&Y-FDNY 9/11/01

Just be careful, and remember, "Safety Is No Accident".

# 1 Your friend is a jerk
    # 2 Firefighters are not trained to commit suicide
    # 3 If you are a volunteer...what kind of salary is your "friend" paying?
    # 4 Risk a little to save little ..your buddies car is not worth your life.
    # 5 Risk alot to save alot..tell your friend evry time you hit the street either responding from home or to the scene, you ARE risking your life.
    # 6 Your friend is a jerk

Unhappy hello

hopefully your so called friend has insurance,you can always replace a car boat or rebuild a sructure but the loss of a single life is devastating.never forget the brothers and sisters that lost it all in N.Y lets never forget.

stay safe
    firedog105
    local1212
    firedog105
    stay safe!

My husband and I had the same argument the other day. I, as a firefighter, follow the 2 in 2 out rule. Safety is paramount. I was taught in Rookie School years ago that our motto is SAFETY TO LIFE AND PROPERTY. The life comes before the property.
    <P>As a woman firefighter, I have been tested by my co-workers with questions to point out why women shouldn't fight fires such as this: If you are in a fire and there are 2 victims down, 1-a child, 2-your partner, who would you save?
    <P>Who would YOU save?
    http://thetravelingfirefighter.com

Never, never, never give up - Winston Churchill

Default what a spot

that would be the absolute worst!but i would take my partner out first,our safety first and formost and i hope my partner would do the same.you have to think that even under the triage sector take the most viable first.dont know if you agree or not its just my
    opinion

stay safe!
    firedog105
    local1212
    firedog105
    stay safe!

Cool

There are three rules that you know all too well...

1. Save yourself/partner
    2. Save the Patient
    3. Save Property

If you are hurt you cannot do Number 2 & 3!!

Jennifer Meier
    Northeran Illinois

-------------

Stay Safe!!
    "FIRST IN; LAST OUT"

Drive safe

Cool on scene safety

tell your friend that if we dont put our safety first and get hurt than we will be of no use to him and be able to insure his safety.he may pay our wages but he dosent pay for our medical bills.

MembersZone Subscriber

I cannot put it any better than the pervious posts have done. From my perspective, I join the volunteer ranks due to a fire related death in my extend family. Ten years later I am 2 county wide hazmat/rescue teams and joining a paid department soon. Your friend should think what if you quit the department. Who will come after him during an emergency? I know most firemen donít like these kind of statements, but if your friend doesnít care enough to volunteer his own self. He should not mind if your department adopt the policy of only saving those who will save others. I wise old lady once said, ďYou canít fix stupid.Ē

Thread Information