Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Exclamation Frustrated Prospective Volunteer

On October 31,2001, I submitted my application to my hometown fire department in Perry,NY with the desire to give something back to the department for the great rescue work they did at my traffic accident of Monday, July 21,1997. I cleared the investigatory process satisfactorilly and had the deparmental physical on January 28,2002, at which time I had a physical conditioning program I more or less concocted myself in conjunction with using a gym with the goal of eventual active duty. I got cleared for administrative duties, which while important would be a great start. However there is the matter of departmental bi laws that according to my chief, need to be changed to accommodate social members who would handle administrative chores. So far I have been in limbo for 9 months having not been allowed to give back anything to the department or to the community. I can't help but feel useless and the feeling of uselessness is getting to me.I only want to give back to the department and community that were there when I needed them. I did not exactly expect to be in limbo for such a lengthy time. I can't help but feel useless and virtually without purpose. I just want to serve my community in any worthwhile and useful manner that I can. However, my physical conditioning program is going to continue with the expectation that next time around I will be found fit enough for some active duty as well as administrative duties in the Perry Fire Department. My goal is to maximize my value to the department and the community. A concern of mine is that I have not gotten the complete picture of my condition at the time of my physical by those who pronounce the fitness of prospective volunteer firefighters. Another concern is whether my physical conditioning program will be enough to make a significent difference so that I will ever be fit enough for active duty on exterior work. One way or another I want to give back to my hometown fire department, which would, in my opinion be cheated of a potentially valuable asset. As things now stand, I can't help but feel anything but valuable and it really hurts.
    Last edited by Rangerjim; 07-25-2002 at 01:46 PM.
    Jim Mancuso

Forum Member

First of all, you are to be commended for your desire to serve your community. You should also be commended for your physical conditioning program. The problem is that you are not looking at the big picture. The NFPA just came out with the firefighter fatality statistics for 2001 and after taking the losses of 9/11 out of the picture, more firefighters were killed by heart attacks than anything else. The fire department and the health department are looking out for your own interests as well as those of the department and the people they serve. Firefighter training programs are physically demanding and some of the fatalities included in the NFPA report occurred following training evolutions.

Keep working out and don't lose sight of your goal.
    Last edited by HM604OH; 07-25-2002 at 03:30 PM.

Posting your name and insulting the people that have to pronounce you fit for duty isn't going to help you win friends and influence people to get on the Perry VFD.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Temporarily/No Longer Active dfdex1's Avatar

Thumbs down Wrong road

My friend your not going down the right road with this one. I agree with the Capt. your not gonna win friends by insulting your department and then putting your name at the end.Even if you didnt put your name down im sure they could figure it out.

I had the same problem a couple weeks ago,where I didnt get hired and as you could read from my posts I was so f&^$@# ****ed off.But some of the crustys here just told me to shut-up and ask why ,not just cry about it.And there advice was harsh but good and now I got a chance of getting on with that department.

My opinion is listen to the advice you get here and use it for your situation-keep doing it for the right reason's.

Just my opinon,Good luck.

Forum Member

Default Perhaps time to give up and get out of town

Perhaps the guy who said I may have committed hari kari is right, all the more reason to give up trying to serve this community and think about getting out. I apologize for going overboard on the bitterness and all that, but being in limbo like this greatly diminishes my self worth among other things and he is right I could have been dead. With the ferociousness of a 60 mph head on collision such as what I was involved in, the Ranger I was driving could have easily blown up had the tank not been nearly full. I felt like I was being punished for trying to give something back to the community. Are there any railroad buffs among those who may be reading this? I may be liquidating my timetable collection soon to facilitate leaving this town.
    Jim Mancuso

Forum Member

Maybe its not too late to delete or edit your post. The longer it remains, the more your chances of getting on the department are diminished.

Temporarily/No Longer Active CAFFBOU's Avatar

Exclamation Yup...

ONE- I would delete your post.

TWO- I would get ALL of the FACTS in your case. Not the
    "maybes" and "I thinks"...FACTS! Then write it all down
    in order that things happened. Key words in polictics
    whether fire, police or Bill Clinton/Monica...DOCUMENT!

THREE- Take the above information and maybe consider
    seeing an attorney if you are passionate about your
    case.

Lastly- The way I see it, if some group or organization doesnt
    want you, say "Fine." I will take what I have to offer and go
    elsewhere to someone who will can benefit from me.
    (basicly-> F-them)

Good luck!

Forum Member

Default Edited Posting-Frustrated Prospective Volunteer

I was unable to delete this posting as I attempted to do, but I did edit it enough to really clean it up and get rid of all the offensive material for which I apologized to all concerned. It really hurts to be in limbo for such a length of time, with the desire to give back to the hometown department and community strong and end up feeling a sense of uselessness and with a convention in town this week on top of that, I cannot help but feel I am getting my nose rubbed in it. It is not the Dept.'s fault either. My fault lies in letting myself go for too long for openers and not starting the conditioning program sooner. And putting my foot in my mouth does not help either, but if I had gotten a more complete picture at the time of my physical as to what I could do and whether it would make enough difference would have been nice. Right now I have to use the seat of the pants approach to getting into shape. Not my favorite way. At any rate, I edited the original post and cleaned it up so the cleaned up version is what should be seen, not the piece of trash I produced the first time off. Nice it would be had I gotten it right the first time.
    Jim Mancuso

Jim,
    Try talking the them. If you explain you frustration maybe they'll see that your desire got the best of you for a moment.

Good Luck
    Stevejd
    www.lcvfd.com

Forum Member

Jim, a couple of suggestions if I may.........

1. From the sounds of your rather eloquent posts, I think maybe you are far too educated to belong to some of the NY Departments we have heard from in here, perhaps that would be the problem with the one you are trying to join? (That is a joke for those of you ready to flame)

2. Get over it. I don't mean this in a mean way, but don't let your self worth be measured by whether or not you can join a Fire Department. There are far more ways you can give back to the community as you so desire to do. If you can't do it this way, think of some other way that would make you feel good.

3. Let this experience motivate you. You say you wish they had of told you what you need to do to improve your physical condition, but did you bother to ask? Did you ask them how you can improve yourself, or your physical stamina in order to be better prepared next time? Call a local Department, ask if you can talk to someone regarding preparation for tests, or a work out geared to specific areas of your body you want to improve. You have expressed the desire to change your body, now follow through. Go back to them new and improved, show initiative and committment.

Thread Information