Default Problem getting hired

I've been in this field for 3 years part-time/POC. I just left my FD cause of 2 much BS. I was in the process of finishing my FF2. I have a ton other certifications. My problem is everywhere I go no one will hire me because I don't have FF2 and I can't take it or go for Fire/Science w/o being on a department. I can't find anyone to sponcer or Anything. Any ideas on what to do in this situation. Is there any way around this.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Lightbulb Try these...

One- I dont know what state youre in, so no info on the FF2.

Two- Talk to Fire Captain Bob. He is pretty smart and may give
    you some ideas on your problems. You can reach him at
    www.eatstress.com and his 800 number is on the website.

Good luck........

Forum Member

Question ?

bnh610,

It'll be kinda hard for the folks here to offer any help given the limited information you've provided - what I'm puzzled about is your statement that "no one will hire me because I don't have FF2" - as far as I know, most fire departments will train you if you don't have any experience at all - I don't know why they would require ANY certifications to hire you, but then again, not knowing any more about your situation, it's hard to say...
    - Remember our brothers in FDNY -

Sorry for the limited info. I live in Il and out here for every department I have applied you need FF2 and paramedic unless you go to Chicago w/ has a 2 year waiting list. I tried to get it through fire science courses but you can't take a FF@ through them if not on a department by state law. The problem is I've studied for the tests just can't take them because not on a department anymore. It is hard to find departments taking part time people w/o a 2 or a medic. I'm only a EMT and don't wish to take paramedic. hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

bnh610,

I don't think you are trying hard enough. Contact the Illinois Fire Service Institute they have a website. Also contact you local college that has a fire science degree program. As far as paramedic you do not have to be affliated with a service. I just finished Paramedic and there was a few people in my class that were not with a service. Some colleges offer a degree (Applied Science Degree) for Paramedic. Good Luck.......
    The opinions and views expressed herin are solely mine and not on the behalf of the organization I belong to.

MembersZone Subscriber

and I know my profile says I am a Cheese Head but, I work for an Ill. Dept. Also you do not want to take Paramedic.....well good luck getting a job as a Fire Fighter. If you haven't seen any run stats Fires are down and Medical calls are up and will continue to go up because all of those baby boomers will be getting older and with age your body tends to have more medical problems.
    Last edited by SBFire333; 07-25-2002 at 05:52 PM.
    The opinions and views expressed herin are solely mine and not on the behalf of the organization I belong to.

listen you .......... i think it is time that you realize that they dont have to bend to you you have to bend to them. If they want medic get it if they want ff2 get it even if you have to go out of state to do it. Then make sure you are ready for the phys. part and do it. If you really want it you will get what they want instead of b..ching about it. Sorry to go off but too many think that depts are their to help them get on but hay were not. In life if you want something bad anough you will do what ever it takes to get it........................
    Just my 2 cents.
    You have to love this line of work.

MembersZone Subscriber

Another thing to consider is applying elsewhere. I can't think of any large departments in CO that require EMT-P or FF2. Most depts just require EMT-B and prefer EMT-P if they have ALS. If you're interested...

www.poudre-fire.org (Fort Collins)
    www.southmetro.org (just got hired here, start academy in 19 days)
    www.westmetrofire.org
    http://www.springsgov.com/SectionIndex.asp?SectionID=5 (Colorado Springs)
    http://www.denvergov.org/dephome.asp?depid=239 (Denver)
    www.northmetrofire.org
    http://www.drcog.org/legis_member/fire.htm (Regional hiring center)

They are all great depts along the front range. I have only listed the ones that I considered applying to. That doesn't mean that other depts (Loveland, Boulder, Longmont) aren't good, I just didn't list them.

Eric

Unhappy I dont feel sorry for you...

I dont feel sorry for you. Did you look at the
    web site I referred you to? Do you honestly
    think coming in here and whining a little
    would sovle your problems?

Start with YOU, not anyone department. What are
    you bringing to the table? Are you even making it
    to the oral boards?? Passing the written test?
    Have your script down when interviewed??? Wake
    up!

When was the last class you took? Do you need coaching?

Trust me...go to that website. I think you might be
    in for an eye opener. AS FOR BEING A MEDIC, read this--

Who's Making the Decisions?
    This should be a wake up call if you want to get hired. Those candidates who might not be the best in the world have figured out
    if you want a badge, go to medic school. This, while too many other candidates are beating their heads against the wall trying to find their way through the maze with the army of other candidates.

It wasn't long ago there were enough medics. Now, medics are being hired when they are certified. Some can take a fire/medic test while they are still in medic school.

You know what they call the lowest scoring student who graduates from medic school? Paramedic. Patients on the street are not going to ask what medic school they attended or about their scores.

Large and small cities who were still trying to hold on to hiring under their affirmative action programs are having difficulty meeting public demand by hiring medics. You have seen these cities giving medic and lateral testing only. They need seasoned medic's NOW!

With several rounds of hiring by the big cities, the supply of these seasoned medics has dwindled. Where are they going to turn to next? YOU; AS YOU COMPLETE MEDIC SCHOOL.

The problem has stripped the available medics at AMR. In one Northern California County this weekend, AMR was only able to staff 3 rigs; when they normally had nine. This same area had to send out engines, that normally carry paramedics, with EMT's.

Some of our medic candidates (three this week) are getting multiple job offers.

Could the message be any clearer?

Absolutely nothing counts 'til you have the badge. Nothing!

"Captain Bob"
    Last edited by CAFFBOU; 07-27-2002 at 01:16 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: I dont feel sorry for you...

Originally posted by boukca
    I think you might be
    in for an eye opener.
    I agree. Going by the numbers, FD's are harder to get into than medical (1:2.5), dental(1:4), and veterinary school(1:7). Just keep trying and working at it. Make yourself into a better candidate.

Eric

Your last line is the red flag......

You think I was dying to become a paradork.

No, but I did it because you almost have to.

It's either spend 1-2 years in medic school and land a job shortly thereafter, or spend 5-10 years looking for a FF / EMT job in a metro area, where you can test against 100-1,000 other FF's that don't wont to go to medic school either. I took the quicker route, and have been working FT for 5 years. (27 y/o).

Good luck though, I might be moving to Chicago, you can have my job if you get you medic license!

Forum Member

You must not be looking hard enough, because every cit dept in my area doesnt require paramedic. Springfield, champaign, decatur, bloomington, normal, peoria, etc... It helps to have FF2 but it isnt a necessity, get on a vollie dept to take the tests if u have to. I could prob list 20-30 depts from 15 min research that wouldnt require paramedic in IL, they might not be in the burbs or wherever u are from but thats the way it goes. In fact off the top of my head the only areas that do require paramedic are prob around St louis area, im not sure about burb depts. IL is a big state. look around.

Forum Member

Oh by the way, before i got on I had absolutly zero EMS or fire classes and no prior experience. If u show them u are dedicated, motivated, a hard worker, and want nothing more to be on their dept youll get hired. Most Captains on oral boards in my experience will hold those things WAY over some lil certificate on a nice lil shiny piece of paper.
    Last thing, every fire dept has 2 much BS, u just have to deal with it and do your job.
    Last edited by dfd3dfd3; 07-26-2002 at 08:04 PM.

Forum Member

Default Re: Problem getting hired

Originally posted by bnh610
    I've been in this field for 3 years part-time/POC. I just left my FD cause of 2 much BS. I was in the process of finishing my FF2. I have a ton other certifications.
    Do you want to know the name of a fire department where there is no BS, everyone gets along great and they make a ton of money?

News Flash!!!!..it does not exist!

Questions...

1. How old are you? My guess is late teens or early 20's.

2. If you were close to finishing you requirement for FF2, why did you quit?

3. Why do you think having a ton of certifications makes you a qualified candidate? Some of the "firefighters" I know have certifications up the wazoo, but could not use them in real world applications because the real world has nothing to do with what is in the books...to paraphrase something stated here quite often by my fellow "crusties"...if you throw a certification at a fire, will it go out?

Another news flash!

BS in the firehouse is a way of life. It is one of the fuels that keep thngs going...you just have to know what side of the fan to stand on when it starts flying!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Default I love it....

gonzo..youda man. I love the saying- "When
    was the last time a cert put out a fire."

I gotta remember that. Sometimes I see other
    people at the www.firecareers.com site say-
    "But I got a degree and certs, etc..."
    And I wonder if they carry copies in their
    pockets..

Thanks for the good post...I still dont think
    he gets it.
    Last edited by CAFFBOU; 07-27-2002 at 12:57 PM.

Talking

Now I dont know much becasue I am not a firman but I am trying to become one. In my area (Illinois) you do not need certs. or ff2 or emt to be hired. In fact Rockford is taking apps. right now. Thats just my two cents if it helps out.

Talking Go from "firman" to FIREMAN!

From www.eatstress.com-

Where Are You Stuck?
    Take this simple test to check how you're doing getting a badge.

1. Are you subscribed to a service that notifies you when a department is testing?
    2. Are you taking every test you can get to?
    3. Are you passing the written?
    4. Are you passing the physical ability?
    5. Are you preparing for your oral interviews (100% of the score)
    6. Are you passing the oral?
    7. Are you getting conditional job offers?
    8. Are you passing the psychological interview?
    9. Are you passing the medical?
    10. Are you passing the background?

If you can't answer yes to all these questions, you will never see a badge! Wherever you answer no, you cannot go onto the next step to gain a badge. Where are you stuck?

I get calls from candidates all the time telling me about all their wonderful credentials. They have been testing 3, 5 or 7 years, have been number one 30 on this list, 22 on that list, volunteer firefighter, AA in Fire Technology, some medics and every certificate and merit badge you could imagine. I have to stop them before they get into warp speed with all their stuff. I do this with one simple statement: Do you have a badge? They go off again with more of their great stuff. I bring them back with: But, you do not have a badge? You are the brides maid. Never the bride.

Here's what we know after 30-years of experience. Since the written and physical ability are pass/fail, 100% of the score to get a badge is in the oral board. This is where you go for all the marbles. After being on over 100 oral boards, I have seen candidates with great credentials. Yet, they couldn't present the package. And, if you can't present the package, you will never, never, ever see a badge!

Our candidates are improving their interview scores up to 15 points and nailing that Badge. They begin by getting our Audio/Video Entry Level Oral Board Program, use the work booklet, practice with the all-important TAPE RECORDER, and come back for a private coaching session. They catapult themselves into the Olympic camp. That's where you get a shot at that badge you have been looking for.

You can stay ahead of the curve by signing up for our FREE FireZine e-mail newsletter. You can easily sign up by clicking here:

http://www.eatstress.com/firezine_signup.htm

One on one coaching sessions are where you get dialed into making your best presentation. It can make the difference between being down on a list and being in the top 10 going for the chief's oral. Candidates armed with this information are the one's who are smoking past you in the oral, grab the badge and leave you as the bride's maid again. We know because we get the calls when they get their badge! When you're ready for private coaching, call my son Rob direct @ 707-869-1330. Rob's e-mail address is nrtc@sonic.net

You start by ordering our Entry Level Audio/Video Program from the products section of our web site below. This program will keep you motivated! The program comes with a no questions asked full refund if you're not satisfied. You're at no risk except you might get a badge. Consider also getting our new book "Eat Stress For Breakfast" to help you along your journey.

Check out our Free "101 Inside Secrets How to Get a Badge" by clicking here:

http://www.eatstress.com/faq.htm

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing! And, there is no feeling like proudly wearing the badge." The ball is in your court. How are you going to return it?

Let me know if I can help you further.

Absolutely nothing counts 'til you have the badge. Nothing!

"Captain Bob"

Fire "Captain Bob" Smith has coached countless entry level and promotional candidates to get their badge. He is a retired 28-year Hayward, Ca. Captain, speaker/author of the audio/video program "Conquer the Job Interview," the books "Eat Stress For Breakfast", "Fire Up Your Communication Skills" and a member of the prestigious National Speakers Association. You can book him as a speaker or get a copy of his books and tapes by calling toll free at 888-238-3959.

E-mail: captbob@verio.com Web site: www.eatstress.com
    Last edited by CAFFBOU; 07-28-2002 at 02:41 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like a sales pitch here to me.......but I cant tell a lie I looked at the site and it is very good

Question Sales pitch???

No sales pitch from me. I dont even work for
    the guy, but I will tell ya what, he helps
    people get hired. He doesnt give you answers,
    rather points you in the right direction and
    make you find your own. He will call you long distance
    on his on dime (who do you know who does that?),
    answer all of your email, spend time with you on
    the phone if you need help in an area. He has done
    a lot of homework for you in regards to the background
    and pyshc. test. AND he helped me score high on a