Default Helmet Stickers I need some advice/help

Our departmenthas been having a problem recently with people putting excessive amounts of stickers on there helmet. They are not the usual Firefighting type decals. They are stickers from very stores and they are Britney Spears type stickers and one says "Paid Thank You" and another is a wal-mart smiley face. My question to the forun is how does/would your department handle this type of situation. Any suggestion or comment would be welcome!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

That is a tough one. You could ban anything that didn't come with the helmet, but that makes for some upset firefighters.
    You could make a list of forbiden items and anything else goes. No semi nudes, little green men giving the finger, bloody knives, etc.

You could restrict stickers to the brim only, really who is going to see the helmet brim anyway.

What ever the decision people won't be happy, so good luck.

Talking Helmet Stickers

If the guys are interior Firefighters they don't have to worry about the stickers because they will blacken up.

FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF
    LEATHER FOREVER

Question

First I have a question or 2. Is this a paid dept. or a vol.? Second is who owns the helmets, the fire dept or the individuals?
    Everything that I post is my opinion only, none of this should be taken as fact.

Forum Member

Keep laughing at them until they peel them off. I don't mind some stickers, but I hate those "dragonslayer" type of things. Most of us have stars of life and a memorial sticker for one of our brothers we lost this past spring in a housefire. I don't like the "we fight what you fear" crap either.

Cool Stickers

I agree, this is a tough one. I work for a paid department and we really don't have a policy on stickers. I think common sense goes a long way here though. When I look at our gear rack, there is hardly a helmet that is stickerless. Most of the guys have a star of life, IAFF logo, clover, or a memorial sticker on their lid. We do have some guys that over do it with the stickers, but for the most part they are kept "tasteful". I think if the stickers were disrespectful, vulgar, or offensive the uppers would step in and have them removed. Also if the department issued you this helmet, it is their decision to have them removed.

Good luck,
    Firefighter45
    EGH-RFB

MembersZone Subscriber

We have no policy on stickers in our department, and most of our people have kept the decorating to a minimum. Most of us have a reflective American flag decal on the back of the helmet, and a few clovers here and there. In moderation, it allows the firefighters to express themselves a little yet maintain a uniform look.

There does come a point where it does become excessive, and the helmet looks more like a colage than anything else. Since our equipment is owned and issued by the department, our chief would have final say over how much is too much, or if something is inappropriate.

We don't really have a policy, but everyone keeps them to a minimum and tasteful. IAFF, flags, 9/11 memorials and stars of life are about the standard, with a few more that I know of being a NY Yankees logo, a Diamondbacks logo, and a Chiquita banana sticker.
    Fiberglass forever!! (they won't let us have leather)

Forum Member

I think if you just tell them how stupid it looks with all those stickers on the helmets, they might quit. That's one of the reasons I don't have a bunch of stickers plastered on my dome. I don't like all the crap the other guys give me about them. Seems easier to just leave them off.
    Life is only temporary, but freedom goes on forever. God bless those who gave all.

JeepFireNY
    Firehouse.com Guest

The "Paid" and WalMart stickers aren't gonna last too long in a fire.

We don't have a sticker policy... Most of us just have American Flags... some guys have 4 Leaf clovers too. I have the Flag from 3Decals.com and the skull with crossed axe and halogan tool. They are both reflective too, so it only adds greater visibility and my own unique stickers.

Forum Member

One's lid is a reflection of their personality. I do have a few "decorations" on my Houston...a reflective American Flag, a reflective FDNY343, a Worcester 6 Memorial sticker, and Taz in fire gear. My spare lid has the Flag and another W6 sticker.

Unless the sticker is offensive, the powers that be who worry about what someone has on their lid has wayyyy too much time on their hands!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

IMHO Unless it is for dept or business use ie Identification of some type, Rank, Name, Dept, etc it should not be on the helmut. IT really takes away from the professional image 99% of us espouse to. It would look pretty Mickey Mouse if you had Disneys mouse on it or what ever. Also if memory serves correct they are not allowed any ways because they would void any warranty on the helmut, hide any damage on the helmut sustained before or after application and could impinge on the helmuts ability to function as designed. IE disipate heat and so on. This is just my humble opinion but they would look really stupid plastered in stickers.
    Some days yer the fire hydrant and some days yer the dog.

Default Sticker shock

We also do not have a policy. But you need to look at the uniform and professionalism of your members. Numbers, flags, and the name are about all you want to maintain the professional look and appeal. See how this works.

Looking for the Penguin that stole my beer.

Default Re: Helmet Stickers I need some advice/help

Originally posted by Hoppy851
    ...they are Britney Spears type stickers and one says "Paid Thank You" and another is a wal-mart smiley face...
    Who you got working for you? Sounds like some people have too much time on their hands... Tacky looking... yes. Hurt someones feelings... no, who cares. I'm guessing most are young, full of **** and into the image thing. They'll outgrow it (or as others said they'll burnoff the stickers). Now that I think about it a Britny Spears, although very appealing to me, might offend some, sex sells, just never seen it sell fire helmets.

Be Safe, Drew
    ---NO RETREAT... NO SURRENDER---

______Look Ma'... No Hands______

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Religious Stickers??

What about religious stickers? Just curious if they are allowed at your dept. or if anyone has any? Like a cross or something like that.

Default helmet stickers

In my dept we are not allowed to put any personal stickers on the helmets. All that we are allowed to have on our helmets is a reflective us flag, star of life sticker with our ems level and SCBA sticker if allowed to maskup on fires (volunteer dept). It does make us look very uniform and professional however not everyone likes the idea and would like to be allowed to have a few personal stickers on their helmets. Oh well you cant make everyone happy no matter what you do.
    Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

I personnally don't see the big deal as long as it's appropriate. I have a shamrock. Irish flag, W6, 9/11,IAFF logo and company initials on the crown of my lid (all scotchlite). Underneath the brim I have a maltese American Flag and an FDNY Rescue 2 sticker. Briney Spears, Wal Mart smileys and paid stickers will not hold up in a fire and are kind of childish too . By the way I own my helmet (New Yorker thank you very much) and even if the dept. issues you one you can pretty much do what you want. If you want some good helmet stickers go to www.3decals.com a Lt. from Providence does these. Hold up well and reflective too.
    Last edited by PuffyNPFD; 08-10-2002 at 01:43 PM.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Default Helment Stickers

As far as putting stickers on our helments, my department's policy is NOT to put any stickers on the helments, except the required reflective stuff. In the past we have had a guy or 2 put stickers on their helments that were not appropriate.(skull and cross bones, nudes, etc.) So the departmet said NO to all stickers. However the department has lately began letting a few fire related stickers to be placed on our helments. Many of us have the IAFF sticker and a US Flag on and the department has said nothing. Personally I feel if it is "tasteful" then it's OK.

If you own it decorate it any way you like. My department issued mine with a dept. logo on the front and a rank sticker on the side. American flag on the back is okay but anything else has to be approved by the Chief.

MembersZone Subscriber

There was another post some time ago on this, but anyways, our department just went thru this and They removed everything off all helmets and purchased or had made new names and ranks and an AM Flag for each helmet, Now everyones helmet is uniform and there are no other alterations allowed or stickers to be placed on them.
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

My dept. has no rules or regulations for decorating your helmet, but we really have never had a problem with it to implement something like that. Most of us just have our names and portable numbers on our helmet's. Some do have the Star of Life on their's. and the clover, that is all we have ever had on our helmet's besides the rank. Now I do have a problem with people that go over board on them, especially with obscene pictures, or the most famous "DEPARTMENT *********" on them, now that is the worst thing you can put on it if you ask me, I mean come on you are out there to help people, and not degrade the things that they have paid for you to have.

Default Helmet stickers

My department doesn't have a policy on helmet stickers. I own all of my fire helmets and I do personalize each one. I have 2 Bullard traditional style helmets, 1 Cairns 1010 and a Paul Conaway leather helmet( by the way, stickers don't stick too well on this helmet). I don't see a problem with putting stickers on helmets as long as they are not offensive. I know that I am always replacing stickers on my helmets due to the heat of fires.

I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

Thanks and BE SAFE
    Assistant Chief
    Tim Whitham
    Wood Heights Fire Protection District

Thread Information