Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Fiberglass Tool HAndles

Has anyone experienced any problems with using fiberglass ax and sledgehammer handles? Does UV exposure affect fiberglass? Any information you can provide will be appreciated.
    Lt. Dan

we used to have fibre glass handles on our tools but found that after a while they start to deteriate and if you use them without gloves you get fibre glass splinters in your hands which aren't to pleasant. we ended up going back to wooden handles.

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

we have a mixture of tools with fiberglass handles and we haven't had much trouble with them.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Temporarily/No Longer Active dfdex1's Avatar

In some of our training we used a fiberglass axe .I got splinters from it not pleasnt and hard to spot.I Just wear gloves to aviod this.

Originally posted by static
    we used to have fibre glass handles on our tools but found that after a while they start to deteriate and if you use them without gloves you get fibre glass splinters in your hands which aren't to pleasant. we ended up going back to wooden handles.

Any tool handle, whether it is fiberglass or wood needs a little TLC to keep it good condition.

Anytime you are using a firefighting tool, you should be wearing gloves...'enuff said!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

We have some very old FG handles here, once or twice a year they get TLC in the form of a wipe down with fine grit sandpaper to remove those pesky little splinters, some steel wool on the heads, and a little Rustoleum paint, good as new! Newer stuff comes with a plastic overlay which protects both you and the glass. That plus what Capt Gonzo says, wear gloves, always always always, even when cleaning up. You think FG splinters are a pain? While cleaning up after a fire I found out the hard way that window glass splinters are much worse.

ok ok i get he hint ill wear gloves any time i pick up a tool now even when just cleaning or moving them not just when attending a fire lol and ill give a go at using the fine sandpaper to get rid of the splinters on the handles as well.
    Last edited by static; 08-01-2002 at 11:44 AM.

Thread Information