Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default A little time spent today may help tomorrow

For those that are spending much time here beating each other up over who, where, and why they may not get a grant, why not change our tact a bit. Take a few minutes to write your congressmen/women and senators to thank them for the support of the supplemental appropriations bill that is ready for "W" to sign. My Congressman responded to my e-mail with great enthusiasm and pledged his support for additional funds next year.

I recently had a conversation with an ex-Congressman from NJ who told me that the letters, calls, and e-mails from the constituents really do make a difference. As they are running from a meeting to a vote, their staffers are briefing them on the feedback from their consituents regarding the particular bill. Not many will be ready to deny firefighters today, as they know that we have to prepare for things like weapons of mass destruction as well as performing our normal duties.

Just a thought! Good luck to all in the grant process!
    NCVFC17

Forum Member

Default Representative contact

NCVFC17, I contacted our Senator, who is on the appropriations committee, back when we first heard there was a move to add addittional funds to the Fire Act. I recently received a reply thanking us for the contact. He told how the several days of oversight hearings to review funding proposals were going, and of the witnesses who represented the firefighting communities, including the NVFC. We now see that its on the Presidents desk, I think he is going to sign it. As you said it never hurts to make the contact now for tommorrows sake. Hey who knows, maybe that contact might put in a good word for you to the folks who are handing out the funding!!!! Sometimes desparation brings out the worst in us, sometimes the best, hoping to keep it positive for our community's benefit and our satisfaction. The people are watching us closer than you might think.

Default You mean your reps. respond!

For months I have e-mailed both my Rep. and my Senator asking them to support the Fire Act, the supp, approriations bill, and even what their position is on them. With neither one of them up for re-election this year, I guess my questions and comments are not important enough to deserve a reply. I haven't heard of any of the few depts in their respective districts, that have recieved a grant, even hear a peep from them! I feel that I have done the best that I can for our dept. and community, but I guess us "small town folk" don't matter!
    As far as the grants go, We applied last year and were denied. No one one the dept., even the chief, wanted to even try. I kind of jumped in head over heels to do it. If anything, it was a learning experience. This year I spent a lot more time researching and going to a seminar put on by KU fire services. The individual was on last years peer review panel and gave me some very good tips. If at first you don't succeed, you try again. Yes it hurts when you don't succeed, but if you learn how to improve on it, your chances can only get better. This year we recieved the questionaire and the auth. to send in the direct deposit form. Just maybe, a year of learning has paid off.
    Stay Safe!!!!!

"Just remember. No matter where you go. There you are!"

Exclamation Contact your reps!

It does help, although I have not heard if we have been selected, I spent a great deal of time contacting both my state and federal reps and senators. the (D) from my state is quite active with the CFSI and has been keeping me up to date via emails and the such on all aspects of our field, from fire act to homeland security to the possibilities of new USAR teams in our area. Utilize your legislators, contact them now for assistance for next year. We are!
    Good luck to all!

Forum Member

Thumbs up They need to hear regardless!!

John you said you never hear back? Keep calling them and sending e-mails if possible or letters, they do get read. I spoke to one of our representatives several years ago and he said if they don't hear from the people, they figure that the issue might not be important enough, but strange as it might seem only a few contacts can make a big difference. I have called the offices and would not give up until I new what the position of the representatives were, they have even called me back with the info I wanted. Our Firemen's Association in ND is also good at contacts, as they should be. Even if you don't get a reply back, you know you have done your part, next step is the ballot box. By the way we are a small dept., 24 vollies, town of 100 people and 140 square miles of rural farm area, our needs are as great as any and our budget smaller than most, been submitting for grants for 12 years and hopeing this year is a charm, if not I see there is 900 mil in the works for next years grant! Luck to all!

Thread Information