Default Using Thermal Imager Camera w/RF video to command

Is anyone using the video transmitter on a Thermal Imager Camera to feed interior pictures to command?

I know this is a great training tool but was wondering if anyone is using it on the fire ground. We have some members that are advocating it's use to provide command a better picture from inside.

If you using it this way what benefits are you seeing? Is it possible distraction from the overall picture Command is looking at?
    Stevejd
    www.lcvfd.com

Forum Member

I can see doing this on a major incident (my FD has the capability of doing that) but for "the run of the mill" room and contents fire, just use the TI to scan the area for hot spots and hidden fire in the walls and ceilings.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

For the most part we are like gonzo's dept. We have a TV set up in the back of the rescue command center and all we have to do is turn it on and hook in the antena. but for most of our fire's,(single family dwellings) we dont do this. only on the larger fires does command use this excellent tool.
    Never forget the fallen.

MembersZone Subscriber

While I am an advocate of using the TIC feed as a training tool, I am strongly opposed to the use of it as a command tool. As an officer on a job, (whether it be IC, Ops, etc.). There are plenty of other things to worry about than playing arm chair quarterback as to what's going on inside. That's what the the interior officer is for.

Only the officer inside with the camera man (assuming it's structure fire) is gonna know everything that is going on. It's more important for an IC to trust his officers to do the right thing.

Just ask your self one quick question. How would it look for an IC to call the shots based on the video feed? I think alot of the lower level officers (lieuts, capts) would question the purpose of an IC.

No one person can do it all.

MembersZone Subscriber

On a fire we were using it at a second floor house fire "looking" through a wall at the fire and as we were cutting through the T & G wall COMMAND saw something and pulled us out. We feel we had the fire licked. The house was lost. We use it a lot for ejection MVA when looking for patients.

JW
    "Making Sense with Common Sense"
    Motor Vehicle Rescue Consultants
    ( MVRC@comcast.net) Jordan Sr.

Forum Member

Give a LOT OF THOUGHT before using or at least recording a TI's work at a actual emergency.If you record anything it becomes a public document and can be used against you.With the exception of two Mfgs of TI cameras any transmission can be picked up by your local news truck and again can be recorded.Plus depending on your ops.and staffing you COULD wind up with the IC watching the monitor not the incident,just some thoughts to ponder.T.C.

Thanks everyone for the feedback confirmed alot of my own concerns. We'll be having a discussion on this in the coming months.

Thanks again,
    Stevejd
    www.lcvfd.com

IACOJ Agitator

We have the video feed from the camera to a TV in one of the service vehicles.

The only time I saw this actually used at an incident was during a chimney fire. We wanted to use the TIC from the roof to see if the fire was extinguished completely in the chimney. The chimney had one of those plates on top, so you couldn't look directly down into it. So we started beaming the video to the van and stuck the camera inside the chimney. The crew on the roof was not able to see the camera's screen, but they were watching it on the ground.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

I.A.C.O.J. Ventilation
    Assistant Special Agent in Charge of the Forums Investigations Division of the BMI
    Recipient of the Purple Hydrant
    Order of the Golden Helmet inductee
    http://www.bbfd.org (shameless plug)
    Thanks for the post first off but I'm going deviate for a moment to point out the extremely long signature. I believe it to be the longest I.A.C.O.J signature I have come across to date.

WELL DONE!!!!
    Stevejd
    www.lcvfd.com

IACOJ Agitator

Well, it was longer...but I shortened it...

I received two honors, so had to mention them.

And I have to increase traffic to Broad Brook's website: www.bbfd.org

Ok, now back to the subject!

PS: Did I mention to visit www.bbfd.org ?
    IACOJ Agitator

IACOJ Agitator

We did have one "major" incident since we've received the camera back in 2000.

However, they were not transmitting back to command at all during it.

I think that if someone's using the camera for a search and rescue, they should be transmitting it back to the TV. At the TV, you have at least one person, if not more watching. This way, if the guy with the camera misses a heat signal, the guy watching the TV might catch it and radio back to the TIC guy.
    IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by Adze

And I have to increase traffic to Broad Brook's website: www.bbfd.org

Ok, now back to the subject!

PS: Did I mention to visit www.bbfd.org ?
    Ok I got the hint, though it was well buried in the message.

You guys have some nice antiques appartus. That is really cool to be able show your departments history that way.
    Stevejd
    www.lcvfd.com

IACOJ Agitator

Thank you. We probably have 4 or 5 old pieces of apparatus that are not on the website yet.
    IACOJ Agitator

IACOJ BOD

Adze
    Think I spotted you in one of those structure fire photos.

Is it dangerous wearing a paper bag into a burning structure?
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

IACOJ Agitator

I tend to soak it down in water before I go in...it's hard getting a seal on the facepiece with it on though.

Bad thing about the incident pics on the website, most of the time no one takes pics until after the incident is all over (if they even take pics at all).
    IACOJ Agitator

Thread Information