Default Embarrassing Correction

For anyone who has teenage boys who think that it's cool that mom is firefighter and needs an interesting user name(rescueangel247) knows what I mean! I am single and my boys thought that this would be a great way for mom to get a life and get out of theirs. I guess I should be greatful they did not go to an online dating service. I am relativly new at KFD and am only the 3rd woman in the department. I am enjoying this new world and so are my kids.

Default Hello

Hello Jo Ann. Congratulations on joining the KFD. How do you like it? What made you decide to join?
    Good luck and take care!

I have always had a calling to serve and have been active in my church. After 9-11 and talking to a friend who is also with KFD, He suggested to go to a meeting and see if this is what I wanted. At first, I was kind of reluctant, but the more I went to meetings the more I liked it. I had wanted to be a cop when I graduated from High School, but was talked out of it by my parents. They told me I needed to stay in more traditional womens rolls(nursing, teaching, etc.). I tried to get on with Austin FD, alas my age became a factor. I enjoy what the guys allow me to do, but want to do more. In my own family I have one brother, now in the KFD family I have 30 brothers. Mannn! It's not the care and concern that gets to me but the over-protecting. They are a great bunch of guys, however the more I can get them to see me as more than a secretary the better.

Default Hi Jo Ann

How many stations does Kyle FD have? How many runs a year does you Department do? Have you caught any good jobs since you joined? I'm always curious about other Departments so I like to ask questions.
    Take care!
    Mike

Thanks for asking! We have 35 ff including Officers, 2 stations and working on a third one. At the main station we have two engines, two brush trucks, and a tanker(this is our new toy!). At the second station, we have one engine, a brush truck and a smaller tanker. I think we are working on a ladder truck since we now have our first apartment complex. I am not real sure how many runs we have been on this year, but I know that I have been on 10 since I joined in February.(Veterans go first on the runs then probies, you know.) I then took medical leave for three months and returned in July. The last run I was on was in March for a tree that did not move for a brand new Ford F-150 at 2 A.M. It turns out the driver had numerous DWI's and did not stick around to see if his friend was alright. Through the grace of God, the friend came away with a broken arm and some scratches. The one with the most harm was the F-150, the roof had to be cut and opened since it rolled and landed on it's side. Since returning, the guys are a little leary about having me back and are a little overproctective or maybe just worried I will be hurt again and a big liability to the deparment. So far I have only seen the inside of the office and taken run info. But soon things should get better I just have to show them. What is your department like? Very much different??

JoAnn

Default Hi Jo Ann

Did you get hurt on the job in the first place? They're probably a little overprotective and a bit leary. Give it time they will open up as you do more work with them.

I agree, it sounds like your Department is going to need a ladder company with the addition of that apartment complex.

My Department is a little bit bigger that yours. I work for the City of Philadelphia. We have over 2000 members in the Department. We have 60 engine companies and 31 ladder companies, about 40 medical units, 1 heavy rescue, 1 light version of the heavy rescue, 1 haz-mat unit, 1 back-up heavy rescue that responds as a collapse unit, 1 back-up haz-mat unit, 2 brush trucks, 2 fireboats, 11 batallion chiefs, and 2 deputy chiefs.

My company is located in the South Philly section of the City; Engine 53 and Ladder 27. Last year we had 2,200 runs on the engine. We were the 13th busiest engine company; 23rd in fires and 5th in medical runs. This year, as of yesterday the engine has 1,340 total runs, so we do get some work.

Look forward to hearing from you.
    Take care!
    Mike

Default Hi Mike

I did not get hurt on the job. My sister past away last year the first in my family and I did not handle it well. On the day of her anniversary I had some kind of attack which paralyized my entire right side including both legs and left hand. According to my Doctors there is no physical reason for what happened and concluded that it had to be stress. During the initial testing, a Cervical Syrinx was found. This is a small hole in my cervical spine(C6-C7) that is 2mm x 8mm and is not detrimental to any activity done off duty or on. This is a formation that could have been there since birth. I have given the department these reports from my Doctors and medical releases stating the same. I am not the first in the department to have something like this happen to them, but the other was a man and is still active in the department. I don't regret telling them because if I were to get hurt on the job and then it was found out I would be in bigger trouble. I just want them to do their research and ask the doctors or ask one of their own and not rely on the opinion of the assistant chief who is an EMT. Don't get me wrong he is a great EMT and real knowledgeable, just not a Doctor. I keep a positive attitude about everything including this and only do what the Lord will allow.

Now, let's analyze this other thing...................................
    ............................Hmmmmmmm.............. ...................
    yeah your department is just a tad bigger then ours.(hee,hee)

2000 members, WOW! I don't have a realistic idea of how big Philadelphia is, but I would guess about as big as Austin or San Antonio...Right? I have led a bit of a sheltered life. You see I have never been to any major city out of Texas, except for Lansing Michigan and that was limited because of the snow. Pretty sad, huh? I hope to change that and broaden my horizons someday.

Stay loose and keep safe,
    Jo Ann

Smile Howdy JoAnn..

..from a transplanted Texan. I'm in New Jersey with a small volly. company, in a small town (.9 sq. Miles). We average about 120 calls a year. I miss home.
    9-11-01
    Never Forget, Never Relent

Default Hey Firehawk

Where in Texas are you from? Were you a ff when you were here and how do you like New Jersey? What do you miss most?

Keep safe,
    Jo Ann

Default Hi Jo Ann

I'm very sorry to hear about your sister. It almost sounds like you had a anxiety attack, but you can never really tell without testing.

You did the right thing by letting the Dept know about your neck. Besides they cannot prevent you from going back unless the doctor says you can't resume your duty. If you chief says you cannot go back, he's in violation of the Disabilities Act, since he's not a medical doctor.

I had to get x-rays for an old wrist injury to prove to the City that I can perform my duties. I had to give them the doctor's report. Boy was that a royal pain in the butt.

Probably San Antonio would be somewhat close to Philly in size. Well look at it this way; you never been to a big city and I never been to a small town..lol, so we're even.

You live near Austin right? I think they had a fire fatality there at an apartment complex yeterday or sometime this week. I don't recall the details, but i'm almost positive it was in Austin.

I got to get some sleep now. Chat with you later.
    Take care!
    Mike

Default Re: Hey Firehawk

Originally posted by Jo Ann
    Where in Texas are you from? Were you a ff when you were here and how do you like New Jersey? What do you miss most?

Keep safe,
    Jo Ann
    Born in Jersey, but raised up in Marathon..West Texas.
    Wasn't a FF til I got here. Just went active in spring 2001...
    Went to school twenty years ago when I was runnin horses up here...
    Hafta go back to school in Sept. to recertify....Gonna be the old guy...LOL
    Love Jersey for the surf, and the surf fishin.
    Hate the crowds and traffic.
    Great food, but if you ask for tea, they bring you hot water and a tea bag...Ya have ta ask for ICED TEA!!!
    What I miss the most....Hmmmm;
    Ridin' REAL horses, not these broken down hacks they've got up here!
    REAL refried beans
    Tea (without an explanation)
    Real lemonade,,,you can only get the real stuff on the boardwalk at the beach here
    Real chili...they put BEANS in it up here!!!!! AHHHHHHHH
    Beans and rice on the side
    Fresh juevos rancheros from my aunt Dorothys' garden and henhouse
    Real milk from a cow
    Lone Star Beer...I know I don't like it, but it sounds like home
    Fresh steaming steaks from a cow my uncle Donnie and I just butchered
    Dry air
    The scent of the desert
    Coyotes howlin
    scorpions in my boots and bed
    cleanin stalls
    cleanin tack
    Rodeo'in
    I could go on and on...
    9-11-01

Default Hey Firehawk

Boy, I know that I should know but explain it like "i'm a six year old", ok. What is lol?? Forgive me but I am in the dark here!

You do sound homesick! Do you visit your relatives at all? If not, maybe a short trip to refresh your yearnings is in order. I too like rodeoin', but don't take the chance very often. I like your explination of TEA and your right. I don't think I have ever had to ask for ice tea! I am not a true TEXAN either I was born in Salina, Kansas(Dad was military-Air Force), but have adjusted very well. I know it sounds strange, but I miss the snow!!! We were able to move fairly often, and were able to be stationed in Weisbaden, Germany and encountered SNOW for the first time and fell in the love with the stuff. Hey, since I live near Austin and San Antonio is there anything I could send you? Nothing too big, alright! I might be able to talk some friends I have in the USPS to help out with postage.

Just a thought,
    Jo Ann

Wink Homesick...Oh Yeah!

Hi Jo Ann,
    Sorry for the delayed reply. It's been a busy week up here.
    As for your question, LOL is web-speak for "Laughing out loud". And, in case you might encounter this one....ROTFLMAO.....
    Rolling on the floor, laughing my A** off
    Gosh, that's an awful nice offer, to send me something from home. I'd love it! I just have to think of something small that just might do the trick. I'll let ya know. Thanks darlin'!
    9-11-01

Default Boy, howdy!!

I haven't been called Darlin' in a month or should I say many years of Sundays. Hey are you married?? Got a brother??lol Hey just kidding we wouldn't want to start something, now would we? Let me know what you want and I'll see about getting it to you. The Money is no object! Oh, I'm sorry, I meant No money is the object.lol Hey, how about swapping department shirts?? Just give me your size and I'll give you mine that would be real cool. It's no replacement for good Texas BBQ or Tex-Mex cooking, but it's a start. How 'bout it?

Jo Ann

I'll Take A Free Shirt What Does Your Patch Look Like?Any Way I Could Get One?
    Shane
    Do not fear to step into the unknown...for where there is risk, there is also reward.

Oh,While I'm Not On A Fire Department Yet(I'm Only 15)I Can Tell You Some About My Hometown Fire Dept.I Live In Las Vegas NV.I Was Born In Los Angeles,CA.We Moved Out Of Los Angeles Because My Mom Had A Bad Feeling Like Something Was Going To Happen.About 6 Months Later Was The 1994 Earthquake.Well,Enough About Me.My Hometown Fire Department Would Be Las Vegas Fire And Rescue (NO Patch Trades For One Of Those Patches,Please)There Are Two Fire Department's In The City Of Las Vegas.Las Vegas Fire And Rescue And Clark County Fire Department.Las Vegas Fire And Rescue Serves About 1.5 Million People.And Even More Tourists.The Department Has 12 Stations With 3 More Opening By The End Of The Year.One Of Them Is Right Up The Street From Me .Every Day There Is About 106 Firefighter On Duty Daily.Feel Free To Ask Me Anything More About The Department.
    Shane
    Do not fear to step into the unknown...for where there is risk, there is also reward.

Default Hey Rascal

OK, the way this works is I send you a tee-shirt from my department and you send one from yours. I can tell you that these are not free they do cost about $10-$20 depending on the Department. Since you are only 15, you can send me one from the station nearest yours. What I need is your address or if you talk to the Senior Officer I can send it to thiers for you.(Maybe you could talk them into donating one that way it does not cost you anything) By the way, our patch has enblem of the maltese cross in front of State of Texas with the words Kyle Fire Department around the cross.

Thanks

Sorry,i only wish i had a t-shirt from Las Vegas Fire & Rescue.So it's looks like i'm out of the running for the shirt.But what about a patch trade?
    Shane

that would be great, but I still need your address.

I Just Emailed It To You
    Shane

Thread Information