Thumbs up Strategic Planning

I am a Captain with the NH Fire Academy and we are beginning to undergo a strategic planning process. I will be facilitating the process and would like to talk to anyone who has going through this process in their Department or Training Academy. If you have any examples or copies of complete strategic plans that would be extremely helpful.

I look forward to e-mailing you about this process.

Mike Walsh
    Last edited by FieldTrainingNH; 08-02-2002 at 10:10 PM.
    Mike Walsh
    Captain
    NH Division of Fire Standards and Training

The views presented here are my own and do not represent the Division of Fire Standards and Training

Capt. Walsh; Here are a few suggestions to help you with this project. I would suggest that you take a look at a couple of business related books on Strategy Development and Meeting Moderation. These will help you far more that taking a look at someone's end result (a strategy document). As a facilitator/moderator your job is to set a proper environment, insure that meeting rules are followed, and that the end result is attained in the most expeditious fashion. One rule is to keep the meeting to no more than 2 hours in any one sitting, and to keep to this track start the meeting at 10 a.m. (lunch will force an adjournment). You should also insist that you have no more than 10 to 12 individuals with varying skills which are being brought to the meeting (diversity is good).

Here are the phases that you should follow: Phase I - Planning, members, meeting location, date/time, setting ground rules, advance preparatory reading & organizing. I would also ask each member to prepare a list of strategic goals in advance of the meeting. The submissions would be consolidated in advance of the first meeting and used for purposes of discussion. In Phase I you may find it necessary to have a preparation meeting to discuss ground rules, objectives, etc. that might be of a housekeeping nature but that will help in the independent preparation of the goal lists. Phase II - Meeting 1 (plus additional ones as might be required). The meeting should be focused on discussing the goals as each member has presented them (not argue the merits of whether they should or should not be). If done properly new ideas will come forth and can be added to this list. As facilitator your job is to ensure that the meeting stays on track and that rules are followed (and the most difficult thing is not to interject your opinions, you can do this through the advance list that is used when entering into Phase II). After the meeting you will finalize the list and let it sit for a week. Other issues may come up that will require your attention on it. After a week if it's stable, then disseminate for final comments and closure. Subsequent phases will be of a 'Tactical' nature, and will deal with the 'how' whereas up to this point you will be dealing with the 'what & when'.

I hope this helps.

Default Thanks

FireAdvocate,
    Thanks for your thoughts, I will put them to good use and hopefully come up with a decent end product.

Thanks again for your reply to my posting.

Mike
    Mike Walsh
    Captain
    NH Division of Fire Standards and Training

The views presented here are my own and do not represent the Division of Fire Standards and Training

Forum Member

FireAdvocate is right on the mark. In fact it sounds a lot like he's quoting from the National Fire Academy's course: "Fire Service Planning for the 21st Century."

If you haven't taken the course - I highly recommend it. If not, I'm sure someone at the NFA can be of assistance to you in outlining the planning process.

Best of luck.
    Stay safe. Train often.

Tiger Schmittendorf
    MembersZone Contributing Editor

Deputy Fire Coordinator
    Erie County Division of Fire Safety
    Department of Emergency Services
    716/681-7111 - FAX/681-3645
    www.erie.gov/fire
    schmitte@erie.gov

Chief of Training/PIO
    Evans Center Fire Company
    Town of Evans NY
    www.ecvfc.org
    tiger5@firehousezone.com

Mike,

If you need further advise and guidance please let me know. Since I am local to you I can always stop by to consult.

Tiger...

Thanks for the kudos and glad to hear that the advise which I gave is compatible witht he NFA course materials. Unfortunately I have never taken the course but I was a consultant for a number of years and the model that I have used is the result lots of trial by fire events.

Best of luck to you both....

Thread Information