Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default DC Fire Cadet Fatally Shot Outside DC Night Club

Washington (AP) - A D.C. fire cadet is dead after being shot early Sunday morning near a Southwest Washington nightclub.

Police say 19-year-old Marcus Holness was found near the intersections of Half and O Streets, SW. Holness is from the 800 block of Ingraham Street, NW.

Investigators believe he had been at a nearby nightclub called the Abyss. He was taken to George Washington University Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Police have no suspects and no motive. The department's violent crimes branch is investigating the shooting.

D.C. Fire Department spokesman Alan Etter says the man was a former cadet who was about to get his first assignment with the department.

Forum Member

Unhappy

God Bless Marcus. May he rest in peace.

Tanker5117
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

How very sad. Rest in peace. My sympathies to Marcus's family and friends.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Man that sucks. Rest in Peace, brother, you definately have some good company up there now.

I've heard of that club. I was more of a Georgetown guy, hanging at Winston's and Crazy Horse, when I was stationed at Quantico.

Forum Member

Before anyone gets too teary-eyed about this wasted young life, it should be revealed that this morning's Washington Times reported that a search of this person's car after the shooting yielded an assault rifle and ski mask, among other things. He had also been in a vehicle in which another cadet was shot (allegedly by shots fired from the car of still another cadet last January 1st). He had also been critically stabbed in May.

While prayers for the repose of the soul of this troubled young man are certainly appropriate, there are more troubling aspects about the fire cadet program that need to be investigated.

Unhappy Condolences

May you rest in peace brother. Our hearts and prayers go out to your family and the members of your department.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Default The rest of the story.

D.C. fire cadet fatally shot
    Matt Cella
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Published 7/29/2002

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A D.C. fire cadet who had witnessed a shooting between two cadets in the winter — and who had been the victim of a stabbing in May — was fatally shot early yesterday morning in a street outside a Northwest nightclub.
    Cadet Marcus Holness, 19, was one of 20 involved in a yearlong firefighting course paid for and sponsored by the D.C. Office of Personnel and the federal government as a form of affirmative action.
    In a story published July 15, The Washington Times reported that firefighters questioned the backgrounds of several of the youths allowed into the federal program after one of them was charged in connection with the shooting of another cadet in January.
    Cadet Holness was a passenger in a car driven by the cadet who police say was shot and wounded Jan. 1. All three were part of the special class of cadets that graduated two weeks ago.
    Cadet Holness had not yet passed a physical agility test and was serving light duty at the department's training academy because he had been critically wounded in the stabbing. A firefighter told police yesterday that Cadet Holness' death is likely to be linked to that incident in May.
    Police furnished no details yesterday of the stabbing, including the name of the person responsible.
    Sources say the shooting yesterday occurred about 3 a.m. as a crowd of about 200 was leaving Club Abyss at 1824 Half Street SW. They say a man outside the club fired a weapon in the air, sending patrons running in all directions.
    Cadet Holness, who was at the club with other cadets, was crossing Half Street running toward his vehicle when someone fired twice into his head at point-blank range and disappeared into the crowd.
    The cadet, who was wearing fire department-issued shorts and whose department identification was found near his body, was transported by ambulance to George Washington University Hospital. He was pronounced dead there.
    Police say a subsequent search of his car turned up an assault rifle and a duffel bag containing ski masks and gloves.
    "It's very disturbing and saddening when you have a young man who was determined to make a career in firefighting lose his life so abruptly and violently," D.C. fire and Emergency Medical Services spokesman Alan Etter said. "We'll stand by his family and let them know we'll help them out any way we can."
    Many D.C. firefighters had serious questions about the cadets' level of maturity and the quality of instruction they received in the federal program.
    In interviews with The Times they pointed to the case of the cadet who faces charges of assault with intent to kill stemming from the January shooting. Cadet Holness was a witness to that incident and might have even been the intended victim, fire department sources said.
    According to court records, in the early-morning hours of Jan. 1, Cadet Holness was a passenger in a car driven by Cadet Michael Holmone, 21, when the driver of another car — Cadet Michael McKnight, 21, — pulled up beside it at a traffic light on Minnesota Avenue NE.
    "A moment later, gunfire erupted from the defendant's car," court papers say. Bullets struck Cadet Holmone in the face and neck. Cadet McKnight then drove off.
    Both Cadet Holness, who was not wounded, and the driver crawled out of the car and escaped.
    D.C. Firefighters Association President Ray Sneed said, "First of all, we've got to be concerned about the family. He was a member of the fire department, and the pain is throughout the department."
    Lt. Sneed has openly criticized the cadet program for setting low standards in its selection of cadets and for not holding them to the same level of accountability as is done with firefighters.
    "Once we deal with the pain and suffering, then we have to look through this program to determine what the problems are," he said. He believes a cadet program can work but said that officials in fire administration made too many concessions to discipline and quality of training to receive the $365,000 in federal funds.
    Just 12 of 20 cadets passed the program, and sources close to the class said several members, including Cadet Holness, failed the emergency medical technician component of the course.
    When instructors began the process of removing cadets from the program, Fire Chief Ronnie Few stepped in and directed the instructors to work overtime with the cadets to bring them up to speed.
    Mr. Etter said the shooting yesterday would have no effect on the training program. Another class began July 15.
    "There's no way you could extrapolate this and apply it to the other members of the cadet program," Mr. Etter said. "This program was established to give kids that might not otherwise have it a chance. [Mr. Holness] was part of this program and part of that spirit."

Copyright © 2002 News World Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sad, but all too common these days. May he rest in peace.

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

While this is a tragedy and my thoughts and prayers are with this man's survivors, a bigger picture is looming here. If there are cadets involved in behavior such as this, and this is not the first time, then there is serious problem in recruiting. This is liberal, tree hugging politicos at it's worst. If these recruits were involved in these activities now, what were they like before they were put into the program???? It puts yet another smear on the name of a great dept. that is trying to clean up it's image. Like myself and others have argued here before, the best should get the jobs and that affirmative action merely gives jobs to people that didn't earn them on their own merit. I'd be willing to bet that if criminal record checks of cadets were done before their 18th birthday (unknown if it is legal in DC) many would probably not be considered as worthy of an honorable job.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

My question is, if brother cadet is killing brother cadet, how can you trust them to watch your back in a fire?

Is this a carryover of gang related activity?

Two words...background checks!

I have a problem with judges sealing a juvenile record of his/her crime. If a kid got in trouble once for a misdemeanor and got his/her act together, there's no problem. Unfortunately, you have young punks that have rap sheet longer than a spoiled brat's Christmas list at FAO Schwartz and they get the same treatment!

I agree with LadyCap'n... you can't trust them....I can see a "shots fired in the firehouse" scenario coming up...unfortunately, it will be all to real....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Witness to a shooting, a stabbing victim, then shot. Hmmmm...I would hate to speculate on this one, but it sure would seem to be related to "something"...The ski mask and the assault rifle may be related to "something" too.
    Last edited by MIKEYLIKESIT; 07-29-2002 at 08:52 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

My guess would be that a few phone calls to the Metro PD would have revealed that these guys were gang-bangers. There is lots of intel on street gangs these days and it usually is not too hard to ID a gang banger (Did you ever stop to think how many Pittsburgh Penguin fans there are in the hood?).

Also, the practice of sealing juvenile records is well established and it is unlikely that it will ever change. If you think about it, there are alot of people in the fire service (and law enforcement) today that screwed up as kids. Seems to me that it is not a bad idea to wipe the slate clean when you turn 18. If you are a criminal, than it won't take you long ot get into trouble again.
    Last edited by GeorgeWendtCFI; 07-30-2002 at 03:46 AM.

Default Honorable profession

If we are to make our chosen profession honorable, then we need to all understand and act to make sure that the first job of any public servant is to get and maintain the publics trust. How can we do that when we (read Chief Few) in the service don't insist on appropriate checks on persons backgrounds and then act on information when it appears that problems exist.

George,
    It seems as if Cadet Holness proved your point.

Thread Information