Default Starting Jr. Dept

I would like to propose to the chief of my local volunteer fire department that they start a junior ff program. I recently asked him if I could somehow join the dept. but he said I couldn't, only due to their insurance not covering anyone under the age of 18. I have looked into the BSA stuff, but we cannot do that since it has a minimum of 5 jr's, and we won't have that many. Would expanding an insurance policy to cover volunteers under 18 be something that is very expensive? If not, I was going to propose that the Jr. program have membership dues to cover the cost of the insurance. Has anyone else worked on a program like this?
    Also, how should I approach him about this? We are friends, and I currently go out with the dept on weather calls, but I thought I should sit down with him one-on-one and show him the benifits of a junior program. Any pointers in this area?

Thanks

IACOJ Agitator

Convince him of the benefit of teaching the juniors the skills they need for the job before they are actually able to do it. So basically, when you turn 18 and join the regulars, you already know all/most of what you need to be a firefighter. This will reduce the down time of training you after you turn 18 and they can put you to use sooner. yadda yadda yadda
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Default Explorers

We only have 2 others beside me in our post and we got the BSA insurance.I had to go and get the insurance and talk to the guy who does it and I said we dont got the 5 kids but we got the 7 advisors but he looked and asked some people and they said ok. So we got the insurance.

When I asked to start this I had to do alot of negotiating and meeting to get it up and running. So dont get discourged and be willing to make trade-offs to get things done in the start-remember your here to learn not get hurt. Like we had to impose limits on the number of people and what we can do and such to get started.

And ask some of the FF if they would like to participate, becuase the chief may not want to start this and make his guys do it. So if you can get some FF to sign a pledge or have them say to the chief im willing to help your jr. program your chances may improve.

Just my advice
    Good luck brother
    DFDEX1

Temporarily/No Longer Active

P.S
    If you have any more questions about the BSA this is there site.

http://www.learning-for-life.org/ex...fire/index.html

Good luck
    DFDEX1

Forum Member

By your post, it sounds like you know some of the members of the department. See if you can get a member to volunteer to be an advisor for your junior program. Having a member tell the Chief that he will be responsible for the program will make it easier for the Chief to OK the idea. Secondly, have all your ducks in a row. Think through all the questions he might ask besides insurance problems. What will juniors be allowed to do or not allowed to do. One of the best points you can make is the fact that it can be the best recruting program he can have. At our department, three quarters of our current seniors started out as juniors. It would also help to show him there are more interested juniors than yourself. Talk it up among your friends and see if anyone else is interested. If you would like a copy of our by-laws and SOGs, feel free to e-mail me. Good Luck!
    Kevin Sink
    Fair Grove Fire Dept.
    Thomasville, NC USA
    kevinsink@northstate.net

If you are able to get the members of the department to back you it is a big help, if the members dont want you there your not going to last very long.

Thread Information