Actually, I don't know if the infamous eXt is there or not! The guy who wrote our grant application has been dealing with this, and although he told me what the password to the application on the web was, I forgot it (Doh!)! Sorry, can't help there, but I read on another thread that the eXt was just how the computer abbreviated "extension".

UGHHHHHHHHHHH as if i wasnt bald enough already. I was sitting here thinking about NOT getting the Dear John letter and guess what, It's going to be even worse now. Now when i receive an e-mail from FEMA i wont know if it's the question e-mail others have received, the request for the 1199 form,or, the Dear John letter. Oh Well guess it makes it worth waiting for. But i'd rather know we got the grant sooner then later. Hang in there everyone and be ready for the long haul. BE SAFE

Default chief350

If your from the Melbourne Ky Volunteer Fire Department and Benton Sr. Clift sent in your application than the answer is "NO" there is no "eXt" by your contact number. CONGRAT's ON THE GRANT. May your family at the firehouse prosper from this good furtune! Best of luck to all and stay safe!!!
    SERVING FOR PRIDE
    PROUD TO SERVE!

Forum Member

Default No eXt

I recieved the call that our grant application was approved on Thursday, and we do not have the eXt by our phone number!
    Good luck to all!

"Just remember. No matter where you go. There you are!"

Default Re: chief350

Originally posted by JAMESBENNETT
    If your from the Melbourne Ky Volunteer Fire Department and Benton Sr. Clift sent in your application than the answer is "NO" there is no "eXt" by your contact number. CONGRAT's ON THE GRANT. May your family at the firehouse prosper from this good furtune! Best of luck to all and stay safe!!!
    Nope, that's not us. Melbourne VFD is a neighboring department, but we both get our mail from the same post office, consequently the address confusion. We are Campbell County Fire Protection District 1.

Default Chief350

I found your grant app and yes you do have an "eXt" beside your contact number. There is a second Campbell County F.D. on the list. It shows to be #5 and they do not have the "eXt".
    SERVING FOR PRIDE
    PROUD TO SERVE!

congrats to everyone!!!!!!

Forum Member

Default Round 3

When is FEMA supposed to give out the "official" announcement for round 3? there are confusing dates listed in the forum. Also, can you call your State Senator and get any info on the process? Seems like some have done this and got info.

MembersZone Subscriber

Round 3 will officially be announced Monday morning on Firehouse.com around 7:00 AM. It will also be posted on FEMA's website sometime tomorrow morning as well.

I personally know a person that works in my senators office and I have called her several times. She has been more than helpful to us.

Good Luck to All!!

TM

Who do they call if you will be awarded a grant? I wrote the grant but listed my Chief and a Captain as additional contacts. Just wondering b/c my Chief and Captain are part-time positions. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

Forum Member

Default Dear Loser-uh, I mean, John....

We got the thumbs down today. Kind of cruel to tell losers at the same time as winners, isn't it?

Congratulations to everybody else. Please fax me a copy of your successful apps so I can trash mine and plagiarize yours!!

P.S. Why is FEMA so secretive about their criteria for grants? We heard conflicting things (somebody says no vehicles if you have anything less than 25 yrs old, somebody says only in that category of vehicle, somebody says an FD they know has a '90-some model and got a vehicle grant, etc.) and decided to take our chances. The vehicle was our biggest need, but if we had known we didn't have a snowball's chance in a flashover of getting it, we sure as hell wouldn't have blown the opportunity to apply for something else. We have no shortage of needs.

Combine that with getting zero feedback on our app, and I feel like I'm trying to do an appendectomy blindfolded.

I have no problem with whatever the criteria might be. I would just like credible info on what they are so I can know whether or not to bother. If we won't get a truck with our current circumstances, we would like to know that so we won't keep applying for one.
    Last edited by EastKyFF; 08-12-2002 at 10:48 AM.

Forum Member

If you have a valid e-mail and phone number, FEMA or your congressional leader should contact you.
    Good Luck!

If they were to call- who would they ask for, the person who sumitted the grant, or the person listed as additional contacts? I am the Admin. Asst.. and I'm just wondering if they ask for the Chief or what. He is a part time Chief and is not always here and I don't want to miss the call.

Forum Member

Default Contact person

From what I understand, they will contact the person who submitted the application.

Did you electronically apply?

If so the e-mail would come to you.

Hope this helps.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Thank you timm1960. I did apply electronically. I just didn't want to miss a call or whatever. I have only seen about three or four people say they have gotten the turndown letter. I wonder where that stands. I really wish they would let us in on a little more than they have been. Also, how far in advance will they send the five questions and the 1199 if you will be receiving funding?

Forum Member

Default ORFD_ADMIN

Since you submitted the application, They will ask for you if/when they call. Any e-mails regarding your application will come to the e-mail address that you gave them. You would be the primary contact person! That is how it work here for me. Check your profile on your application page to make sure everything is accurate. That is where your phone # and e-mail address should be. You should be able to edit any info there if it needs to be changed.
    Good Luck!

P.S. We recieved the questions 3 1/2 weeks, D-D e-mail 2 1/2 weeks before this round. We got to be in this round.
    Last edited by jmkfire; 08-12-2002 at 12:06 PM.

Question

I've always said that the only stupid question was one that wasnt asked. So,i'm gonna ask. Where on the application is the e-mail address you gave. I've looked several times at mine and all i can see is the contact phone number. I received the confirmation from FEMA when i sent the application in so i am assuming they have the correct e-mail addy. Any help in locating the e-mail addy on the application would be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to miss out on a grant award for not having the right contact addy. Thanks and BE SAFE

I really hate to keep asking so many questions but I don't have anyone else to ask about this- so here goes. I was trying to see if our e-mail address appeared (ffmedic1161's question). I didn't see mine either but what I did find, on the paper application that they asked you to print off, I noticed my home phone number on the printed application but on the electronic application is my dept phone number. I am aware that they asked for multiple numbers but how did they become transposed?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default e-mail address

The e-mail address can be seen in your profile.
    NCVFC17

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I received the 5 question e-mail on July 23rd and promtly responded in the affirmative to all questions. That was the only contact between me and FEMA.

This morning, I came in to the office and first thing I did was check FIREHOUSE.COM for round three winners. Patiently read down the list of Tennessee awardees, and my department was close to the bottom.

But Yippeee !!! We are on the list. $70,000+ for hose and SCBAs. My guys will really be excited.....and so am I.
    Grant me the strength to change things I can, accept what I can't, and to know the difference.

Forum Member

Even though I recieved a call from my Represenative on Thurs., I still had that nagging feeling "I hope this isn't a mistake" and to actually see our dept. on todays list takes that feeling away.
    Congrats to all and good luck to everyone still in limbo!

Forum Member

Default Congrats!!

Good job John King and farmun751.

Several people have asked that those who are awarded post their application, at least the narrative here for all to benefit from.

Please do.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

MembersZone Subscriber

EastKY,

The only word of advice I can give you is don't listen to anyone and go for what you need and justify it. We were straight forward and did our own narrative, gave facts and supported our needs and we got a very large grant. I can tell you that we have an apparatus that is only 13 years old but needs to be replaced, so hopefully I'll win my arugment to try to get funding to help do that next year, we just bought a 700,000 dollar ladder to replace the one that rusted out after only 12 years, so we won't be able to replace this one without any help. Good luck to all next year, and congrats on this years winners!!

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

To ALSfirefighter:
    If you guys can buy a 700,000 dollar ladder truck, you can buy just about anything your department really needs. We struggled for 6 years to pay off a building because a new truck would not physically fit in the old one, plus we did a lot of the work ourselves to be able to afford the building at all. We have a first out pumper that is only 500 gpm and 30 years old. Our next out pumper is 45 years old and won't pass a pump test. Yes, we told FEMA all about that in the narrative, plus a lot of other interesting tidbits. We got the Dear John email anyway. What ever you and all the other better-to-do departments that have gotten and will get grants,said in your narratives, I wish I had that much creativity. I hope each and every one of you told the truth. We did, and it does hurt to be turned down this year as well as last year. We will try again next year.

Congratulations to everybody that gets a grant and really needs it. This is a great program that should have been started years ago. Hopefully it will keep going long enough for everybody to eventually get their piece of the pie.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Default Right on jboczek

jboczek, I agree with you. $700,000.00 is more money that my department has accumulated in it's 51 year history. We are in the same boat. My firehouse has one 10' door, and one 12' door, and we have 4 trucks, so depending on what we have, we waste time shuffeling trucks to get to the correct one. Not the best situation.

If I bought a truck, and it rusted out in 12 years, I might think about going back to the manufacturer and getting a rebate. Our oldest one is 35 y/o, and we can no longer buy parts for it, but at least it has not rusted out yet. Maybe we didn't pay enough for it?
    Non Volunteering Volunteer (Retired)

Thread Information