Forum Member

Default EMT-B certification

does anyone know the minimum age u have to be to get certified EMT-B in illinois. i think it is 16 at the time u take the test but im not sure. i want to be certified so i dont have to cram certifications later. thanks for ur any help u can give me.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

call your state dept. of health. here in new jersey it is 16 by the start of the class

Forum Member

thanks for ur help sfdjrnj. there is a hosiptal around here that is going to have one i will have to call them maybe
    wont be able to take the class because i wont even be 16 when the class is over

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am not sure about the state level, but our EMS system requires 18 to start the class.

ne one habve ne idea a bout pa how ould you have to be ???
    When you walk through the fire you will not be burned, the flames will not set you ablaze PRAY FOR THE FALLEN

To All the Jr's Good luk n be safe

The previous comments are myn and have nothing to do with the department I represent
    LMTVFC

Forum Member

in illinois it is 18 at the state level?

Bakdrft1314,

I live in southeastern PA. You must be 16 when you take your exams. When you're 16 and 17, you are only a third man on the crew. Once you're 18, you're like everyone else.

K.
    Last edited by Kiernan; 09-09-2002 at 06:21 PM.

Every Class that I've seen offered in Illinois requires you to have a high school diploma, so you probally have 18.

thaks Kiernan great info
    When you walk through the fire you will not be burned, the flames will not set you ablaze PRAY FOR THE FALLEN

To All the Jr's Good luk n be safe

The previous comments are myn and have nothing to do with the department I represent
    LMTVFC

In Connecticut (which uses national registry) it is 16. But most ambulance companies want you to be 18 before they'll employ you.

Jason
    Jason Zigmont

MembersZone Subscriber

I took the EMT-B class here in Maine this past spring as a senior in high school. I was part of a pilot program offered through the high school. Although the class is great, the knowledge is great, and the experience is great, I would not recommend you to take it if you are still in high school. Unless maybe you are 18 or 19. This field as well as firefighting requires an incredible amount of maturity which unfortunately not everyone has. And no, I am not saying you are immature because i do not know you, I am speaking in general. But I would not recommend someone to take the course if they are under 18 especially someone who is only 15. I'm sorry but if I need help, I don't want a 15 or 16 year old coming as the 'emergency healthcare professional'. I mean it is hard enough for me being 18 breaking into the EMS field.
    Just take this as a word of advice from someone who has been there.
    Stay Safe

Ryan Dennett
    FF/EMT-I

"Some ask why. I answer: I know where I am going when I die, and so I do not fear it. Some people need more time to figure it out. I am that extension. My life for yours."
    Marc 'SkipJack270'

For national cert you have to be 16 or older, so your state should be the same.
    Megan Barnum

Who would I contact to find out about my EMT -B cert in my state,i live in tennessee

Default Contact The Department of Health.

You can contact DOH or DOT. Ask any of your local EMT's for the #. If your to young for EMT, you may wan't to try certified first responder. It is like EMT with some similarities. I took it in the Boy Scouts.
    “Just when you think something is made to be Idiot Proof. They go a head and make a better Idiot”

Smile Hi ff_woo

ff_woo you're from post 104 right? Well me too. And to answer your question you can take the class now, but you won't be certified until you take the test at 18

Exclamation Correction

sorry, it should have been what is your post number

Forum Member

no im not from post 104 or any post from that matter. i am a jr. which isnt with the bsa.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Minimum Age For EMT-B Certification in Ohio

Ohio requires that a person be a high school graduate before taking the National Registry exam for their EMT-Basic. Some vocational school permit seniors to take the class and test after they are 18. However, in most cases, you have to be 18 and have a high school diploma or GED before enrolling in the class.

Ohio has similar requirements for obtaining any firefighting certifications.
    Proud to be honored with IACOJ membership. Blessed by TWO meals cooked by Cheffie - a true culinary goddess. Expressing my own views, not my organization's.

Hey, thanks for the reply. In PA you have to be 16 when you take your exams, but you can take the class before and turn 16 during.

I'll be taking the class in January. Look out everyone who said they wouldn't want a 16 year old to work on their squad. :-)

Thread Information