Thread: Bikes and Dogs

Default Bikes and Dogs

What do you do when you are riding a bike and dogs start chasing you and snapping at your legs? I like to ride but lately it is more dangerous from the dogs than the other traffic.

Forum Member

Pedal faster!

Sorry could not resist. Never really had that problem, there is a rails to trails trail ner my house and that is where I ride.
    Brian Jazudek
    Moon Run Fire - Rescue
    Assistant Chief/Training Officer
    http://www.moonrunvfd.org

"People ask me, why do you do it man? They don't understand, it's about the men next to you. That's all it is."

Forum Member

My community has a leash law, most people are pretty good about it.

I ride my bike often, never really had a problem being chased by dogs, but jusit in case....

I have a small "belly pack" that I keep dog biscuits in (milk bone small size). If "Fido" starts to come after me, I toss a few "cookies" to the pooch...then make note to return via a different route!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

They usually stop chasing you after a kick in the mouth. At least that has been my experience.

Or the more PETA touchy-feely warm fuzzy version: Pedal your *** off, stand on the opposite pedal so the bike is between you and the offending canine, and hope that you had enough speed built up for a painless escape. If you regularly come across rabid Greyhounds, I'd reconsider my route selection.

If that doesn't work, kick 'em in the mouth.
    ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...
    -Andy "Nozzles", SQ18, 9-11-01

Is there an animal control person you can call...(I love dogs, but I must also admit that the kick in the face method has worked for me as well...it doesn't hurt to follow up with a call to the animal control people). We had a serious problem with dogs in my area (I was attacked by two huskies, and my girlfriend has had numerous close calls while walking our dogs on leashes). After a few written complaints to the town the problem was dealt with. Unfortunately a few dogs had to be put down but better that than to have them attack a child. (If 2 large huskies will attack me at 6'1" - 260lbs unprovoked while I walk down the street what the hell will they do to a 5 year old!?).

Thread Information