Forum Member

Default Can You Believe This

http://www.usfa.fema.gov/dhtml/inside-usfa/grants.cfm

Is the Seatle department not tax funded, do they not replace equipment regularly? Don't get me wrong,I think we could all use the funds, including Seatle but $660,000.00 for 1 department.
    I could buy 1 new truck for every department and a set of new Turnouts for every firefighter in my county and still have some left.

On another note, Has anyone heard if George W has signed the extra $150 million?

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow! Wasn't aware that the SFD was in such bad shape. Hope the $$$ help. It is interesting that FEMA would post this info on their site when the next round of awards, which must include Seattle, hasn't even been announced yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Their web site has pictures of all 32 of their engines and 8 ladders, command vehicles, etc. I'm sure they needed the money or they wouldn't have gotten it. Like the director said, it will help keep their firefighters safe. One good thing, it didn't take anything from my part of the program, since they're full time and my dept. is volunteer. I'm still waiting.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

This does sound extreme to me. They must have really demonstrated a great need in their grant. Wouldn't it be nice to read it for ourselves?

Large grants to career departments don't really bother me that much. They are over on the other side from me. Other career departments are the ones that should be envious, jealous or skeptic, not a volunteer department like mine.

Now if a VFD in the Southeast were granted this kind of money, I would probably try to look them up, just to see for myself what their situation was like before and after "winning the lottery".

I'm happy for Seattle, and am sure the money will be put to good use. Who knows, someday I may go out there and see it for myself.
    Grant me the strength to change things I can, accept what I can't, and to know the difference.

Thread Information