Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Truckie Tips & Secrets

This thread is similar to the one featured in the firefighters forum. What do you truckies keep in your gear and/or the secrets of basic everyday things you use? Example: Golf Tees to hold the doors open..ect. My gear is feeling a bit light and need to heavy it with some goodies. Thanks.

Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Just have some questions for ya! Were you THINKING when you posted this? Did you ever think that most EXPLORERS AND JUNIORS (hence the forum name) aren't entry level, therefore they can't do much? Which means they usually can't be on the stick or anything else a truckie does for that matter. So why are you asking this question here if you already asked it in the Firefighters' Forum? What do you think we're gonna say?

Example: Golf Tees to hold the doors open..ect
    I always thought golf tees were used with other things to help seal minor leaks in things such as gas tanks, gas lines, etc. I also think tees are a little small to hold doors all by themselves, did you ever think of that? Try a wedge, works wonders, and I hear Drewbo gives some awesome deals on them, too.

My gear is feeling a bit light and need to heavy it with some goodies.
    Why the HELL would anybody want thier gear heavier than needed? Just makes you work harder, which wears you out faster.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

WFDJr

Just take it easy man. All you had to do was just tell him that the post didnt belong here. And YOU THINK the golf tees are a little to small. Have you ever used them?? Acutually golf tees and nails work pretty good on doors. And arent you the one who started the post about what do you carry in/on your gear? Whats wrong with carrying some goodies like webbing and rope, rescue wrench or an purpose knife. Those are the things that could bail you out of a situation.

Default Re: Truckie Tips & Secrets

Originally posted by Engine7 Ladder1
    My gear is feeling a bit light
    Then put some bricks in your pockets
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

WAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT A SECOND...... He stole 90 Truck's question!

And Tw93, I didn't say you shouldn't have anything in your gear, nor did I start the "What do you carry in your gear?" topic. At the very beginning of that post, I said, "I know this was on here a few months back... blah blah, yadda yadda"

And YOU THINK the golf tees are a little to small. Have you ever used them??
    To answer that, NO! And I'm not planning on it. The door usually stays open by itself. If it won't stay open, use a wedge, I would rather trust my life in one of those than a golf tee or nail anytime.

Whats wrong with carrying some goodies like webbing and rope, rescue wrench or an purpose knife. Those are the things that could bail you out of a situation.
    I didn't say that there was anything wrong with carrying those things. I carry them, as well as some other stuff. But if you have more stuff in there than you will ever need on a fireground, especially as a Junior or Explorer, then there really is no need for all the extra crap, and the extra weight wears you out faster. In this heat, that is not a good thing. Would you rather be on the fireground helping the guys out with only the lighter weight of the tools you need, which won't wear you out as quickly because you're not carrying around so much, or would you rather be in the hospital because you had a heat stroke because you were so exhausted from all of the useless extra weight you chose to carry in the 90+ temperatures outside?

LOL @ Adze!!! That was a good one!
    Last edited by WFDjr1; 08-01-2002 at 02:08 PM.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Forever in our hearts

Originally posted by WFDjr1
    [B]Two things to say to that, usually when we are done forcing entry, the door is destroyed, and it stays open by itself. If it won't stay open, use a wedge, I would rather trust my life in one of those than a golf tee or nail anytime.
    If forcible entry the only way you enter a structure?

Anywho...

Ok kiddies, let's all get a long. Keep this somewhat civil or the Webteam will lock it down.
    IACOJ Agitator

Looking for the Penguin that stole my beer.

Cool Amazing Golf Tees

I want some of these amazing golf tees. I really never surfed the Explorer and Jr threads till someone pointed out they were a good place for comic releif. What is a junior concerned with about doing Truck Co. work anyhow, Save that crap for the Big Dogs.

I do want golf tees that hold doors open, Hell I break mine just trying to play golf, must be for screen doors. I'll do a one for one trade Drew Door Wedges for amazing golf tees!!! They do plug a gas line quick though. But I have seen those kind.

I should stay out of the Explorer land, I could get myself in trouble here!
    ---NO RETREAT... NO SURRENDER---

______Look Ma'... No Hands______

No, sometimes we like to open doors like normal people too...

But then there those times when it won't work and we sick Big Bernie on the door, there isn't much that that 6'5, 200+ size 13 foot can't get through...

But seriously, if there is smoke and flames visible upon arrival, we will try the door first. If locked, that's when it comes down.

Forever in our hearts

6'5, 200+ size 13 foot
    Never really learned forcible entry using tools?

How bout this for a deal, I'll give you 1 of those Oh So Cool tees for free!

Now, has anyone seen my golf bag...

Forever in our hearts

Yes Bones, if you will notice below that line... "But seriously..." I was JOKING! We use tools most of the time. It's just that every once in a while, Bernie gets a little impatient...

Forever in our hearts

Administrator

Default Final Warning

This will be a final warning for some of our juniors here in the forums. Keep the attitudes to a minimum, dont pick apart every post like you are a know it all, and don't attack other users here or in private messages. It will not be tolerated.

If this continues, we will have no choice but to remove users and potentially shut down the Jr. Explorers forums. A few users will ruin it for everyone. Report posts that are problematic, do not engage in a battle online.

Thank you
    WebTeam

Sorry WFDjr1, didn't catch the joke. Unfortunately, I have a few too many members who use that same technique. They are also cops and get the "macho" feel about doing it. Then one day, the guy kicked a door that looked like wood, but was metal...broken foot.

Looking for the Penguin that stole my beer.

Cool Sorry

Good Call Webteam,

I should have never opened my mouth here, probably had too much fun with the Juniors, only chasing some rumors of funny posts.

I forget that younger people take offense easily.

I'll keep my trap shut here. Thanks for the check and balance.
    Last edited by Drewbo; 08-01-2002 at 03:55 PM.
    ---NO RETREAT... NO SURRENDER---

______Look Ma'... No Hands______

Drewbo

Funniest one I saw was in the military, guy wanted to be Sgt Rock or something. Shoulder charged a wooden door on a house clearing exercise.

After he was lying in the dirt groaning with a dislocated shoulder, I walked up, turned the handle, and opened the door, OUTWARDS.

Always check for hinges.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Default Re: Sorry

Originally posted by Drewbo
    I forget that younger people take offense easily.
    They gotta learn to thicken their skin sometime if they want to hang around a firehouse.

Maybe we should give the J/C/E's a "Timeout" card or something...if their feelings are getting hurt too much in the forums they can just call a "Timeout" and no one can make fun of them...at least not for 30 seconds
    IACOJ Agitator

Red face

Sorry y'all, I just needed to vent a little bit. It's been a bad past 24 hours.

Forever in our hearts

I just was curious about what you guys know about truckie secrets. a few times a firefighter has asked me for a wedge or a golf tee.. Thats why Im running low and was thinking about stocking my gear with some new stuff... And I did have a brick in my pocket once, Someone could of tripped over it, so I picked it up and stashed it.
    9-11 Never Forget.
    "When you hear a 10-75 or a 10-60 you better be heading to the rig"-Von Essen

Question tower 93, 7&1

um, beings that we're from the same township, what kinda "situations" do your guys and gals put you in that you might need something like that? i'm curious to know b/c we have the same rules for juniors at our house and i just want to make sure our neighbors aren't slipping....

E7L1, don't mind that you stole my question, its good that u want to learn. just think of better ways to ask it, b/c WFD is right, exp. and jr's don't have a lot of knolege to these things. more appropriatly, try "has anyone been told any truckie tips and tools from more senior guys?" just my couple cents worth, have fun.
    Matt G. Warminster Fire Dept. Station 90
    IAFF Local F-106

Default Re: Re: Truckie Tips & Secrets

Originally posted by Adze

Then put some bricks in your pockets

hahahahaha good one adze
    " truck till the casket drops "

www.lynbrookfd.org

My views and opinions do not represent the views and standards of the Department or Company that I belong to.

Thread Information