Question Terrism Response Training

I would like to throw an idea out to the general population. Not all that long ago, I attended a mandatory WMD training class. The class touched base on some interesting topics, but, just very lightly brushed over subjects. It was very much like your basic Haz-Mat class.

But, it left me with more questions then answers. Has anyone out there put together a more in depth class? I am looking more into how we should respond to certain calls, what type of mentality we are dealing with, why certain areas would be considered a higher threat/better target. I would like to put together a class in my area focusing on those questions. If anyone has any ideas, I'd like to hear them.

Thanks and stay safe.
    9/11/01 You will not be forgotten

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree. I've had the Basic Concepts Course that you probably had. Get on the FEMA web site and navigate to the Integrated Emergency Management Course-Consequences of Terrorism.

Fill out the application, have your Emergency Manager sign it and mail it in. It is a wonderful course and I would recommend it to everyone.

I took it at Mt. Weather in June of this year. It is a week of classes and table-top drills. The instructors are all very good.
    They really put you through the paces, especially when they destroy Central City in Liberty County in the State of Columbia which is somewhere between North and South Carolina (fictional of course).

FEMA will reimburse you for your travel, provide the course and lodging at no cost, you only pay for a meal ticket which is about $100.00. And to get the training like you do there for that much is really a deal.

You are given an assignment (I was the Director of Public Health) and that is your role in the excersises. It is well worth it and my company is putting all of our Regional Directors through the course.

Hope that answered your question.

Ed
    Last edited by emsbrando; 08-05-2002 at 09:31 AM.
    I.A.C.O.J.-Member

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits".-Albert Einstien

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door"-Milton Berle

try this web sit and the course that they offer on Haz Mat. I have completed the EMS version and found it a good sourse of information

http://www.teexwmdcampus.com

Ed

Stay safe and stay low

Cool

Hey, thanks all for the good information.

Stay safe all.
    9/11/01 You will not be forgotten

MembersZone Subscriber

Default training

Had the good fortune of attending the Department of Justice class on WMD at Anniston Alabama and would recommend it to anyone that may be involved with a terrorist incident. Have had several terrorism classes over my career but this was by far the best. They use live agents and the instructors take great care in making sure you know the information and use your skills. It doesnt cost anything for the class and there are two levels, Technician and Incident Commander. You can probably access the information through the DOJ website. Try it you'll like it.

Forum Member

Default WMD Training

Lik you I have attended many WMD/Haz. mat classes that have come out recently. Your comments and thoughts are in my opinion right on the money. Unfortunityly there is in lies part of the problem.

Ther are to many opinions from knowledgeable experts, but little substance. Partialy due to not knowing, not will wil togive to much info out and not have the right information to give out. There a few good solid classes from DOJ ( live agent training) in Alabama, Anniston. and New Mexico ( Bectel) which offer a good solid program on the technical side of the response.

The NFA program are broad based. Once ou realize that , they are not to bad. EMI offers some basic classes and does other programs and states.

There is no course that can be offered to you to give you inside the terrorist mind. You best action right now is become more aware of the technical side, look at your vulerunbilties and perform your assessments. Practice and run the table tops drills for managers. One mans terror target is another mans fear. One group , individual can do do tremdous harm on a area espcially if they are unprepared to respond. We can not stop terrorist as part of our job in the fire service, we can make it difficult to do his by denying his abilty to create panic and havoc etc. We need to our jobs better, be more aware and learn from all past actions, incident ( not just our own) Just some thoughts.

Thread Information