View Poll Results: Have you ever used a TIC while doing an Incident Size-up?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • I didn't know it could be done

1 5.56%
  • We do not own a Thermal Imaging Camera

4 22.22%
  • Yes, I have

7 38.89%
  • No, I have not

6 33.33%
    IACOJ Agitator

Question Incident Size up with a TIC

Fearing my question got buried in another post, I'll ask it again...this time with a little poll.

How many of you have used a TIC when doing an incident size up? And by TIC, I mean a Thermal Imaging Camera not one of those pesky critters that give you lyme disease.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

Had to vote No. We have not used our "pesky critter" on initial size ups, although we just relocated the camera to a more accessible location, so might soon. We have used it extensively for further size ups though. I'd also be interested to know how many vehicle mounted ones are out there and get used effectively.

IACOJ Agitator

vehicle mounted meaning that it is in a bracket instead of a case, or vehicle mounted meaning it is permanently attached to the vehicle?
    IACOJ Agitator

Forum Member

Sorry - Permanently attached. I know there were some put on the end of "Snozzles" along with a piercing nozzle. I also saw one that was mounted above windshield on a truck with a view screen and remote control on the passenger side.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't have a TIC yet. Applied for 2 via the FIRE Act - still waiting.

If we are lucky enough to get them, they will most likely be religated to an obscure area of an external compartment due to the style and way our trucks are designed (No room for in Cab Mounting and compartment space is already at a premium).

However - if the fates smile on us and we get at least 1 TIC - I'll see if we can't get this into a SOG for fire attack.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

n2dfire,

U can always put the camera in a spare seat and strap it in with a seat belt.

IACOJ Agitator

Our second one (received through a State gant that got TIC's for all FD's) just arrived today.
    IACOJ Agitator

Forum Member

Adze,

You must be drinking a lot of coffee lately....good questions.

We have 2 TICs. Both Bullard, Both in truck mounted chargers.

The one on our HQ engine is mounted in the jumpseat area on the Officers side, I usually grab it and the irons when I get off the truck. While appraoching the building I will do a qucik scan and let the Officer know if I see anything.

Our other camera is mounted at the Officers seat in our Sta 2 engine, so usually the Lt will grab it. It is much smaller and easier to carry.

Dave

IACOJ Agitator

One of our cameras is mounted next to the officer's seat in ET-239. The new camera will be mounted in the officer's seat of our new ET-139 when the rig (hopefully) arrives by the end of this month.

One thing for people to remember when doing a size up with the TIC on approach is that the Infrared waves that the camera senses reflect off glass. So if you are looking out a closed window, the only thing you are going to see is your reflection and any other heat source near you. You will not see through glass.
    IACOJ Agitator

Adze,

We have found it to be a valuable tool in size-up. Though nothing can replace getting inside a finding the fire, a good outside check with a TIC has become S.O.P. in our department. The initial 360 is now done with a TIC in the chiefs vehicle. The initial engine also has one in case the chief is out doing public relations.. . The chief then hands the second TIC to the officer of the 2nd incoming engine.
    In this day and age all interior crews should have TIC's. We were fortunate enough to get a TIC when they first came out as a demo and never gave it back. The district then bought a second one after the first succesful rescue of a 70yr old woman. I understand not every F.D. has one but its deffinately something the IAFF should fight for if you dont have one.

fireray89
    Rhode Island

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by dfd3
    n2dfire,

U can always put the camera in a spare seat and strap it in with a seat belt.

Good thought but No Can Do - We are "victim" to the Conventional Cab Chassis. Seating space is reserved for the few warm bodies that we can carry.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

IACOJ Agitator

So far, 0 people have said they didn't know they could do it.

Do you think this is true? Or do you think people are too proud to admit this?

Also, do you think if this post was in the general FF forum it would have a different result for the poll?

Maybe I'll put a link to this thread over there to find out...
    IACOJ Agitator

Default good question!

we have a tic on the arial truck its in the back of the cab with the firefighters on the way to the the call they get it up and running when they get on scene they are ready to go,we have even used it in quick attacks,ie;we had a highrise fire and upon arival we were told that a small boy was still inside,the crew took the camera and with 1ff pulling the hose and a2nd helping the capt guided them to the room through zero visability to the chid who was removed a survived the ordeal.

firedog105
    firedog105
    stay safe!

Thread Information