Forum Member

Question mysterious "eXt" appeared on our app

OK, call me crazy but I have to share this. I’ve withheld it too long.

After the first round of awards was announced I started to log onto FEMA’s site every day with our VFD’s username and password. I wanted to check to see if anything was changing on our login area and just review our app to see if there was anything that I could beat myself up over. I clicked on view application then I clicked on review application. I noticed that I was listed as a contact person and after the station phone number there is an “eXt” right after it with no space between it and the phone number. It was a small e, big X and small t. I thought to myself, I don’t remember putting that in there. We don’t have extension numbers at our station.

Before this incident I had learned how to search any state to see which departments submitted (or I should say started) a grant. Well I went in and searched Indiana and Illinois. You can do this under the “check to see if someone has already started an application for your fire department” link. Just put in the letter “a” in the search criteria and choose your state. Well I started to notice other departments that have “eXt” after their contact numbers. Hmmm…ok…..I checked the list of the first round award winners. Hmm...most of them have “eXt” after their phone number. Weird. Only a few didn’t have “eXt”. So I decided to run through both states of Indiana and Illinois and write down all the states that have “eXt”. After the second round winners came out, most of the departments that received an award were on my list. OK, this was getting interesting. There are still departments that are on my list that have not received awards so I’m watching the next award session to see if they are or not.

I can’t believe something like “eXt” in the application form could signify an award or any other thing. But I do know that I didn’t put it there and someone else or a computer did. Of course I was getting more excited as this went on because our department had an “eXt” by our phone number (especially since we just blew the motor in our 1975 pumper). But the other day ago I went in to check to make sure my e-mail address was correctly listed with FEMA. I clicked on save and after that the “eXt” went away. Uh oh! Oh well, I’m sure FEMA has other means of keeping track of who gets an award and who gets a “Dear John letter”.

Anybody else notice the “eXt” thing? Even if it just means something to do with a phone extension why would it be put there if I didn’t select it? I’m not convinced that it has anything to do with an award. I would like to think so but I doubt it. FEMA isn’t going to slip up like that. I just wanted to share this information with everyone.

WWW.PVFD.NET

I believe the eXt had something to do with an extension for contacts phone numbers, and how the computer reads the numbers. What I'm thinking is that the applicant could have just typed their number like this 555-555-1234 x 123. The x 123 being for extension 123, which is also written as ext 123.

So when the computer reads the contact number it added the "e and the t", because it was reading the "x" as an extension.

I ran the same search for my state, which is Connecticut. When the contact numbers come up I found the eXt came up. But if you look there is a FD with just a plan old ext there.

Smile

As I commented on in "The Missing Link" thread, I had the eXt show up after the phone number. I deleted it and hit save and it went away. The screen then showed that I should print the direct deposit form and mail it to the contact.

I haven't heard anything yet from anyone so I haven't let it raise my hopes.

As Webteam helped clear up yesterday, I don't think we should be looking at these things as signs of receiving an award or a Dear John letter.

Albeit, your findings are interesting. I think I'll just use my time to practice crossing my fingers....

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2nd time i heard that

Somebody from another Dept that got a Grant on the 2nd round and mentioned that ext thingy, he said that if that is on your app, you are getting a grant... I will take it with a grain of salt... If i can just remember my password to get back in the app area.
    BE ALERT AND STAY ALIVE
    ASST CHIEF
    TLVFD, NY

Administrator

The eXt shows up if you put an Extension number with your application. We tested it on our own department, HazMan is correct, if you type in an Extension, it shows up ... if you erase it, it dissapears.

TLFD40 ... that is a good Urban Legend though

Forum Member

Default will believe it when the money's there

I'm not taking the eXt thing as an award or no award. Just thought I would bring it up. Sorry I posted a new thread before seeing the other thread. I just thought it seemed interesting. I won't believe it until I see the money in our banking account!

Good luck everyone! I hope you get what your department needs.

WWW.PVFD.NET

Default The eXt "Bug of Hope"

Well, I thought it sounded pretty crazy when I first read your post. Then I went though and did my state, Texas, and here is the results: 22 grants awarded, 21 with eXt in the contact box, 1 grant with nothing in the contact box, and 87 departments overall with eXt in the contact box. The good news is mine is one of the 87, but the bad news is that still sounds to easy! O'well, back to the waiting game! P.S. for the WEBMASTER, I did not put an extention number on my application.
    SERVING FOR PRIDE
    PROUD TO SERVE!

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Just for the record, mine has the eXt on it and I didn't put an extension on the app either.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Ok, I admit it - I haven't spent all of my time crossing my fingers like I said I was going to. Since I didn't put an extension on my application either, I thought it would be interesting to search my state as well.

Under "search for others" you can type "fire" under the department name and it pretty much brings up all of the departments in your state (provided you selected a state).

Of the 148 departments listed for our state, only 15 had an "eXt" under the phone number. Nobody from our state (VT) has even been awarded a grant yet.

Here is the interesting part -- I deleted the eXt from my forms when they showed up the other day. However, the "eXt" still shows up next to our name on the search.

Now, I'm certainly not caving in and saying that the eXt means you are getting an award. However, I am saying that there must be a reason that some departments have the eXt and some don't.

Could be that those are the departments getting the "Dear John" letter... you never know.

Now, back to crossing my fingers.....

Forum Member

I didn't put an ext # on our app and it doesn't have eXt beside our phone #. I base my hopes on knowing that the questionaire e-mail stated we made it pass the peer review and then FEMA requesting the direct-deposit form from us. Other than that, haven't heard a peep from them Still waiting.
    Good luck to all!

"Just remember. No matter where you go. There you are!"

I am hoping that the eXt has nothing to due with who gets
    grants and who does not. In Missouri, out of 500 departments
    there was very few that had the eXt next to them. I also seen
    a couple of departments that did enter an ext after there phone
    number. The only people who know what the eXt stands for is FEMA.
    I know I'm just waiting to hear if we get our grant approved or not.

Thanks and be safe
    Assistant Chief
    Tim Whitham
    Wood Heights Fire Protection District

Forum Member

Default captfire

I hope you're right about that not meaning anything, (I think it doesn't mean anything) of the 350+ KS depts on the list only a handfull have it. I know that there are more than a couple of handfulls of depts in MO & KS that need the assistance.
    Good Luck!

I'm sure has absolutely nothing to do with the award. I think that everyone is just getting anxious (including me).

I am, however, interested in why it happened to just a handful. I'm hoping that it is not there because I goofed or missed something on my application.

Sounds like a good research project for Webteam (like they don't have enough to do).

After doing a little more research, of the 13 departments
    in Missouri that have been awarded a grant, 9 of them had
    the eXt next to there number. 4 of the departments didn't have
    the eXt, but 2 of the department were not listed. I am still sticking
    to my hope that it has nothing to due with who gets grants and who does not.

Thanks and be safe
    Assistant Chief
    Tim Whitham
    Wood Heights Fire Protection District

After checking Florida, 8 of 9 recipients had the eXt.

Now, I submitted grants for three different Departments and they all have the eXt after the phone number.

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say that maybe it has to do with when they were submitted. You know they had that EXTENSION of time for five days after the system became overwhelmed. Out of the three I submitted, all were submitted during that five day period.

Forum Member

Question Hit nail on head?

I think you might be correct. We got our app in during the first deadline and we don't have the eXt. The County Fire Dist. here submitted their application during the extension and they have the eXt by them. That would make a lot of sense to me.

eXt= extra tension!!

Checking our state however all of the announced winners have the ext behind their contact phone number, with the exception of Seattle Fire which hasn't been listed but issued their notice. We have another 20 appearing with ext by their number. Your guess is as good as the next persons. N(ext) week will tell

Be Safe Out there.

Good thinking, MJinFla. Ours was submitted using the extension period as well. I'll buy that reasoning!!!

Now, back to crossing fingers....

I submitted my Dept's application @ 3:47PM (EST) on 4/5/2002. Which was a litte more then an hour before the deadline, the day the application was due.

I have received a 5 question e-mail from FEMA, and there is no eXt next to my Dept's name.

Default eXt

As for Illinois, the eXt certainly seems to be relative to the depts that recieved or have been anounced as recipients. I hope so cause its next to mine My app was filed prior to the extension, as were a few of the others listed as eXt. This urban ledgend stuff is rediculous, but we all need something to grab on to. Keep 'um crossed and good luck to all!

Default eXt on app

after reading this thread, i too did check our app and found the mysterious "eXt". I have also received 2 calls from Fema this week getting our application info updated due to a problem with our banking info that was changed after submitting the 1199 the first time. i believe that mess is now straightened out and now we are playing the waiting game as others are. Good luck everyone.

BTW, we submitted our app on 3/29/2002, before the extension period.
    Last edited by seksffemt; 08-04-2002 at 11:55 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

The theory surely holds up for Iowa, I check them and 100% of the departments that have received funds do have eXt behind their phone numbers. There are also a few extra ones that have it, including mine. I also found this to be very odd and didnt think this could symbolize an award. So I cross-referenced the two lists in an additional 15 states. I would say that 98-99% of the names on the award list did have the eXt behind their phone numbers. To me the theory seems pretty logical (at least I hope).

Todd

Forum Member

Default ext in ark

I did the check in arkansas. i got more hits by using the letter e than with the letter a. out of nearly 500 applications, 36 have the ext beside the phone number. Both departments that have already been announced have this . i like this therory because ours has the eXt also. On july 24th i was called by FEMA and answered the 5 questions and was told to expect a confirmation email in 3 to 4 weeks. i also asked and was told we scored a 94 on our application.
    Good Luck to everyone
    Stay Safe !!
    Tyler

Default ext in kansas

Just got done researching kansas as the first post in this thread had done, i found out that 30 departments out of 300+ have the eXt in their application. I also found that all 6 departments from ks that received an award have the eXt on their application. Might be good news for some of us.

Poster john king- if you read this, are you from riley county dist#1, if so you have the ext also. i hope im not reading to much into this, but it is nice to dream a little...

Forum Member

Default seksffemt

No, our dept is Riley FD. We are in Riley Co. I am also on the Co. dept. I did the app for us and I have talked the the Co. Chief much about this as well. We don't have the eXt and we recieved the questionaire and direct-deposit e-mails.(FEMA recieved our DD form last week). I have also spoke to the Co Chief who told me that they turned in their app during the extension period and he has not recieved any thing from FEMA yet. He was ready to congratulate us on getting our grant, but I had to remind him that we haven't recieved any official notification yet. That is what lead me to believe that the eXt was for depts that submitted during the extension period. If the ext is a sign of who gets grants, that would not be a good sign for KS depts. I think there were just over a couple dozen out of 300+ or so with the ext. I still have my hopes up with knowing that we made it pass the peer review and that FEMA requested the SF1199a direct-deposit form from us.
    Good Luck to you and hope you are successful.
    Last edited by jmkfire; 08-04-2002 at 09:57 PM.

Thread Information