Question Forming Honor Guard/LODD Policies

I have been given the task of creating a "good & welfare" bureau within our fire department. I have been told to make sure that an Honor Guard and LODD policy/SOP are included. I am looking for information regarding these two topics. I am looking for written policies (preferred) or suggestions covering topics like: Honor Guard Uniform Guidelines, LODD Notification Procedures, and/or Funeral Procedures.

Default Honor Guard/LODD

Hello, your best bet would be to contact Jim Byrd with Metro/Dade Fire Department. He is the state co-ordinator for all the Honor Guards. Also there will be an Honor Guard Academy class in October at the State Fire college in Ocala. The class teaches all aspects of the Honor Guard as well as LODD protocols. If you have any questions let me know.

Buckingham, PA. This is a north western suburb of Philadelphia.

When we created our Honor Guard several years ago, we contacted the Philadelphia Fire Department. We appointed a captain for the Honor Guard and a Family Liason Officer to meet with a represenative of this department to look at their SOP's. The purpose of the family liason officer is to work with and assist the family with funeral arrangements and anything else they might need. The Philadelphia Fire Department was very helpful and even offered to send members of their Emerald Society Bagpipe Band when needed. Thankfully, our Honor Guard has not been used in a LODD capacity. We have served at the funerals of several members who have passed due to natural causes. This service is greatly appreciated by the family members. We also have served during several other functions to post the colors in community events and county wide firefighter functions. This year we will for the first time be a part of the National Fallen Firefighter Ceremony. Please let me know if I can answer any questions you might have or help you in any way. FFHathaway@aol.com
    Dave Hathaway

Another excellent source of Information is with the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation. You can request info. from them and they will send you a packet on what should take place as far as your department is concerened in the event of a line of duty death. you can request the info. from the web sight[URL=www.firehero.org]. As the leader of My departments Honor Guard this assingment can be the most rewarding experence of your career. Feel free to e-mail me with any help of advise I can give you
    Never forget the fallen.

Thread Information