Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Looking for Roto-Ray light

Our department is trying to fix the visibility problem with our ladder truck. Basically you cant's see the silly thing with the lights on day or night. We would like to put a roto-ray light on it but have ben unable to find one. If anyone knows were we can look, we would appretaite it.

Thanks

You should try contacting some of the boys from Maryland. I have yet to see a truck from MD without one of these things on it. It must be a specification requirement by law or something.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Question Good Question!!

I've been wondering where to get one of those things for a while. Anyone have any ideas as to how much they cost?

I am not sure if I have seen these or not. Are these "Roto-Ray" lights, those round kalidescope lights that spin. I have seen something like that on a few trucks and I was unsure of what they were called.
    K.A. Dempsey
    fire69dawg@yahoo.com
    "If you want to make God laugh, tell him what you are doing tomorrow"

Fire69Dawg,

You are correct. You don't see all that many of them outside of Maryland and I have never seen anything about their effectiveness but logic leads one to believe that they are good since they have been using them for years.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

I saw one at the Sutphen plant in Ohio and one on a ladder truck in PA. When you turn them on, they really show up . I was hopnig to find a manufacture name to track one down but no luck so far.

Default Roto-ray

If you're trying to fix a visibility problem...you dont need to be looking at a rotoray. They are only good for the ooh-aah factor at parades. It has NO visibility beyond the very front of the vehicle. For the price of the roto-ray, you can get A lot better lights.

PLUS...they take A LOT of power to run. The halogen lights and the motor to turn it...a whole lot to tear up and expensive to fix too.

Question

Can somebody point me to a picture of one of these things?
    Theo B
    MFP 454
    '70 Fasty
    '74 & '77 Wagoneers

Thumbs up

kewl!
    "bout how much do them things run?"
    I have a parade project in mind.....
    Theo B
    MFP 454
    '70 Fasty
    '74 & '77 Wagoneers

When I was searching for that pic I found some info regarding personnel being hit by the light while on the scene of a call. If you get one I would have a parking brake interface to stop when the brake is popped.

Default Re: Roto-ray

Originally posted by SCOOBY14B
    If you're trying to fix a visibility problem...you dont need to be looking at a rotoray. They are only good for the ooh-aah factor at parades. It has NO visibility beyond the very front of the vehicle.
    That exactly where you can't see the truck! The bucket obscures the roof lights and the flashers don't show up well either. The ones I have seen do show up well and don't take up any more space than the Q.

Keep up the discussion.

The Roto Ray IS sort of a parade attention getter but you have to admit there is nothing else like it out there. Yes, it does have a big amp draw but it is the most traditional light still on the market. It was patented on August 12, 1930, by Edward C. Ramsey and assigned to the Buckeye Iron and Brass Works. It is definitely not a new invention. Sort of like chrome, gold leaf and leather helmets.

The current versions are hand made by a retired firefighter in Herndon, Virginia.

By the way, no one has answered the original posters question.
    The light is available from:
    Roto Rays Incorporated
    722 Park Avenue
    Herndon, VA
    (703) 437-3353

The town where I live has one on the front of their Truck Co. The rig is only a couple of years old. The light looks ok, but I dont think it has any great advantage over other lights. I have noticed some on rigs from Florida if I am not mistaken..The old Mars 888 is another good light for attention grabbing.

Thread Information