Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation DANGER- High Voltage Headlights!

It has been reported that the voltage output of the headlight connection on the Honda S2000 sports car, which is also an option on Mercedes Benz and BMW vehicles, is greatly increased to 25,000 volts .

The workshop manual for the Honda S2000 gives the following warning:-
    A transient high tension (25,000 V) occurs at the bulb sockets in the high intensity discharge (HID) lamps when the combination light is switched ON. It may casue serious electrical shock...
    Another caution note reads:-
    Do not service the headlights assembly in wet conditions, such as rain or snow, near a sprinkler system, or when your hands are wet, to prevent electrocution/
    Based on this information, there is a dnager to responders at MVA's where the headlight may be damaged but still working. This has the potential to seriously injure or kill those coming into contact, directly or indirectly, with the connection. Also, the high tension leads between the invertor and lights would pose a threat, as would the invertor (residual current).

Information from "The Fireman", Vol. 56, No.12. Dated 19 June 2002.
    Luke

BUMP!

JW@NB87 emailed the following link to me which backs upo what I've posted- these lights are out there! BE CAREFUL....

HID INFO
    Luke

Lutan, this time you are 100% correct I presume you are talking about Xenon gas discharge lamps. They provide much better light output for less energy required, however in the warmup phase they use much more energy than a standard bulb. These lamps are the same type as used on outdoor stadiums such as the MCG.

Thread Information