Default Any one with a Pierce have chronic electronics problems?

Our 2001 pierce dash has never ending electronics problems. They started early and have continually grown worse from sporadic warnings and things like high beams won't work to a now constant warning buzzer for nonexistant problems. Pierce can't figure it out anyone else had this kind of issue?

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Pierce

We have 3 Pierces, 2 Sabers and a Dash. 85,87 and a 95. We have a recurring problem with a circuit board on our 1995 Pierce, if we have to pump it for long periods of time it starts to poop the bed and somebody ends up sitting in the cab with their foot on the gas pedal, then the next day the company comes and replaces the board and everything works. They can't figure out why it happens.......... The other two work just fine..
    Last edited by TLFD40; 08-04-2002 at 08:44 AM.
    BE ALERT AND STAY ALIVE
    ASST CHIEF
    TLVFD, NY

We have had our new Pierce just short of a year and have had no electrical problems. There is a town a few towns over that bought a ladder in 96 and I heard they had alot of electrical problems. Does your truck have the command zone, and the multiplexing? I wonder if it's that? Since that is somewhat new technology maybe the bugs aren't worked out yet.
    This is your brain... Pierce
    This is your brain on drugs... E-One

iceman4442
    Firehouse.com Guest

'98 Pierce Saber - no electrical problems.

88 Pierce works like a champ

Yes we have the commnad zone feature. We also have three old pierce pumpers that you would be hard pressed to find a problem with.

Forum Member

7 Pierce engines and trucks (first one in 84, newest 2 months ago), no major electrical problems. The 2 newer ALFs, they could fill a book.

Forum Member

My department bought around 7 Pierce engines and trucks. We've experienced some very minor problems and have had EXCELLENT company service. The department just ordered 5 more engines and 2 more trucks. Our present Commissioner wants to standardize our fleet with Pierce. In my honest opinion, Pierce makes an excellent product. Like Gunnyv says, we bought ALF's a little over 2 years ago and have had nothing but problems with them and all most all of those problems were major.
    Last edited by FireLt1951; 08-04-2002 at 07:27 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

7 pierce engines never had any major problems

We have 2 98 Pierce Dashs, we had electronic problems up the A**. We had warning lights going on and off, fuel gages telling us we had no fuel when we had over 3/4 of a tank left. We replaced the batteries and had our local diesel technician try to get all the bugs out. We haven't had any problems for 4-5 months now.

We have 4 Pierce engines 1-'96, 3-'97's and haven't had any significant electrical problems except for lights burning out quicker than one would think.

SLFD33

What did your local diesel tech do to get the bugs out? We have to keep stopping and filling it up because we don't know how much fuel is in it. Also, do your engines have the command zone feature?
    Last edited by Crunch; 08-04-2002 at 10:12 PM.

Lightbulb pierce

the one dept. i run with has had nothing but pierce for the last 15 or so years. we haven't had any problems until last year. we aquired a new enforcer/contender engine which for some reason keeps throwing a/c belts. and our new PIERCE DASH rescue pumper?? yeah a couple of electrical problems, that and it seems to make a different unidentifyable noise on every call we go to. yes, it also has command zone. am i noticing a trend?? other then that i really can't say anything bad about pierce apparatus because they are simply the best on the market. It probably is just new technology with a couple of bugs to be worked out yet. stay safe, peace!
    Matt G. Warminster Fire Dept. Station 90
    IAFF Local F-106

Forum Member

Thumbs up

We have a total of 35 Pierce apparatus. We bought 31 Quints, Heavy Rescues and First Response Engines in 1998. We had 3 1991 mini pumpers and just added a 2002 Air Light from Pierce. Other than the headlights going out at the wrong time and a few other minor problems we haven't seen too many problems. The brakes and tire wear will always be a problem on any brand of truck if you run them like ours are ran. Other than those items we are pleased with the fleet.

Stay Safe - Stay Well

Once you have learn everything about this job, it is time that you retire.

Crunch,
    I'm not sure what the tech did to get the bugs out but i know that we had a problem with the electronics in the fuel cells. I hope this helps.

We have a 96 Pierce that has had so many problems we named it Christine after the Stephen King movie, in fact it is in the shop now (not for electronics this time) and in the engine bay is a 1975 Mack CF600.....Now that's a real fire truck.

Forum Member

Cool

My Department runs mostly Pierce, we have four 2001 Dash's. No electrical problems that I know of, other than faulty sensors on the exterior compartments. Now if you want to talk about Transmision problems in our Pierce Aerials... I can tell you some horror stories.
    How about having to replace the Transmission in two of our Aerials
    every 18 months.

Don't get me started on the transmission deal, we have 4 Pierce trucks. In fairness to Pierce, it was probably the retarders that smoked the trannies, but you would have thought they would've figured that out by now....

Thread Information