Thread: Banners

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Banners

The pop-up banners encountered while trying to browse the site are past the point of annoying. I have enjoyed visiting this site and have found it to be a great information source and sounding board for fire fighters, but I am discouraged by the bombardment of ads that make browsing an unpleasant experience. This trend of banner pop-up advertising threatens to kill the web media experience.
    Retired FEO DFD

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire truck.
    Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

"The best thing to ever happen to me in my life, has been the priveledge & honor of serving with you men, and the men before you"
    George C. Patton

Administrator

There is only one pop under ad which visitors shuld only see once a day at most, promoting the MembersZone. We have no plans, and likely would never, have pop ups or pop unders, promoting anyting other than our own projects. And even then, like the current pop under, program it to appear more than once per day or session.

WebTeam

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pop-ups

Perhaps I am mistaken about the origin of the window that keeps popping up when I browse firehouse.com. Each time I go to a page a window appears announcing that it is downloading a file stating "banman.asp from V-ads.cygnuspub.com". I get this only on your site so I assumed it is your ads. If you have any suggestions on how to avoid this, I would certainly be appreciative. I have always enjoyed firehouse.com and would love to keep visiting.

Thank You

Administrator

The only pop under on the site right now is the MembersZone preview, which shows up for each visitor only once per day.

Sounds like you are having some other sort of error, what kind of browser and machine are you using?

WebTeam

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pop-ups

I am using the same browser (Internet Explorer version 6.0.2600) & the same machine (Dell 1.4 Gig Intel4 with windows ME) It has only been recently that these windows have started appearing.

Administrator

How recently? What do they say specifically? Do you have flash installed, is it promoting you for that perhaps?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Banners

Every page I go to a file download box appears and seems to be downloading a file from cygnus-publishing. I never had this happen before last week. Any idea what the cygnus-publishing is?????

Administrator

Some of our banner ads (for the next few days anyway) are served from our parent company. We have just moved to a new software which will eliminate any issue within a few day.

What does this box say? What is the name of the file its trying to download? We need a little bit more information to know for sure what is causing your problem. Its the only known report of such an instance occuring.

Thanks
    WebTeam

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Banners

File Download

Getting File Information
    Get&siteid=13&x=102/785939520 From V-ads.cygnuspub.com

The box appears & never seems to finish downloading. Takes 3 or 4 attempts to close the window. Only happens on firehouse.com.
    I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I figure there has to be some explanation. If you haven't had any other complaints, it must be something on my end.

Administrator

Try going to your browser preferences and ensure you have JavaScript turned on. This is a very unusual error that will go by the wayside soon regardless as we'll be moving off of the v-ads.cygnus ad server to the new faster software, but we'll continue to look into it. We expect to be fully transitioned to the new ad server technology by the end of the weekend.

Thanks
    WebTeam

Thread Information