MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cessna on the Highway!

While assisting the Medical Examiner at a fatal pedestrian incident at 1:00am the other day, we received a call for "an airplane crash on Highway 75". Fortunately, the image below is what we found upon arrival.

The pilot, flying with his wife and daughter, ran out of gas as he made his final approach onto a straight section of the five lane-wide southbound lanes of an expressway in our City. After touchdown, he just pushed the plane off to the side of the road. He's about 10 miles short of the airport where he was flying to. Engine actually sputtered and quit on his approach.

FD pushed the plane into a nearby parking lot where it sat for a full day. He got fined by the FAA and had to pay to have the wings removed and the aircraft trucked out.

By the way, he is a certified pilot trainer as well
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

at least he didn't try going through one of the booths on the tollway!
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Teetering precariously close to the edge of the earth.

Last year I was driving down the road, looked in my rearview, just in time to see a Cessna landing on the highway right behind my car....If it wasn't for a lead foot, we would've been chopped suey....

PS-that's actually a Mooney....Only poor people own Cessnas...

FIGJAM

Our 000 emeregency phone system (Equivalent to your 911) received a call recently for "A plane keeps flying low over my house and turning the motor off. I want it to stop. Make it go away!"

You guessed it! Not knowing what to with it, they coded the computers and put it to the closest thing, which is a downed plane!

This in turn despatched Rescue, Fire, Police and Ambulance!

We turned out to what we thought was a plane down, and upon being told over the radio what the actual call was, we promptly cancelled!

Thinking it was all over, about a week later, guess what? Same sort of call, different part of the city!
    Luke

Dispatch Dweller
    On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

lutan: Why isn't that a police-only call?

I can understand the assignment if it WAS a crashed craft, but since the caller said (if I'm reading you right) that the aircraft was repeatedly buzzing his/her house, and repeatedly turning the motor off and on, why wouldn't that have been either an aircraft in the air in possible distress (which we would have forwarded to police and the control tower) or a public nuisance/noise complaint (direct to police)?

Just curious,

--j.

FIGJAM

That's exactly what we reckon it should be! But Intergraph (Operated by B.E.S.T.) thought otherwise....
    Luke

I'm just being picky Lutan, but B.E.S.T. doesn't take over that really nice company Intergraph until the 6th September 2002.

FIGJAM

Sorry Sambo- but Intergraph is a part of BEST. The Government take over BEST in September....

It still doesn't excuse the mistakes that are being made, and that includes these type of calls. You want to see some of our "observation reports" for some potential horror stories....
    Luke

Sorry Lutan - but B.E.S.T. stands for Bureau of Emergency Services Telecommunications and is a government oversight organisation to ensure that emergency communications provided in Victoria are at an appropriate standard. Intergraph Emergency Communications Pty. Ltd. ( Intergraph Pty. Ltd ) is a private company whose contract to provide CAD ceases on the 6/9/2002. When the contract ceases and as yet un-named government corporation, utilizing all the former Intergraph staff, will take over the CAD. Best Regards -Sambo

FIGJAM

Thumbs down

Who cares! Bunch of losers- can't wait for the take over...

Maybe things will work properly!
    Luke

Forum Member

Yeah Luke,I think Sambo's got it right.Government oversight!Pretty much says it all.T.C.

Thread Information