Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By CaptOldTimer

Thread: Edgewater, FL Firefighters

Sr. Information Officer

Post Edgewater, FL Firefighters

Politics...politics....Don't ya love politics?!!
    -------------------------------------
    Former firefighters sue Edgewater for alleged forced resignations
    day-jcp
    EDGEWATER, Fla. (AP) - Three former firefighters have sued this
    city, saying they were forced to resign after accusing their chief
    of improperly running the department.
    In the lawsuit, firefighters Donald Jones, Anthony Shuta and
    James Castetter make more than a dozen accusations against the city
    and Fire Chief Tracey Barlow. The men first made the allegations in
    a letter to city leaders earlier this year.
    According to the lawsuit, Barlow failed to discipline his
    brother, a lieutenant in the department, after he allegedly hit a
    child in July 2001. Prosecutors investigated the incident, but
    chose not to pursue charges.
    The suit also alleges Barlow ignored drug use by a department
    supervisor, drives a city-issued vehicle for personal use,
    persecuted Castetter for an action which happened outside of work
    and engaged in sexual liaisons with female fire employees in the
    firehouse.
    City Manager Ken Hooper said while the suit has not yet been
    served to the city, the accusations have been extensively
    investigated and were unfounded.
    In 1998, Jones, who was then a volunteer firefighter, sued
    Volusia County Fire Services in a similar case, saying he was
    forced to resign after pointing out problems. The case was settled
    out of court.
    Barlow said he could not comment on the case pending court
    action.
    Edgewater is about 20 miles southeast of Daytona Beach.

(Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

I'll try to keep this reply short. The City of Edgewater is a city that borders our southern city limits. They are our Mutual aid response dept. on all second alarm assignments, and I might add that they are a top notch, and a very dependable professional department. This is all due to the efforts of Edgewaters Fire Chief. I know all the parties involved in this story, and I know them all very well. When all the facts are made public, and when the truth is told about this MUTT firefighter Don Jones and all the people that he dragged down with him, Chief Barlow and all the Firefighters and Officers of Edgewater Fire Dept can continue to do what they do best, serve the public...Please don't make a judgement on a good Fire Chief by a second rate newspaper, or by a firefighter who has a running history of lousy lawsuits and employment difficulties.

Lt. Grace
    New Smyrna Beach F.D.
    T-54, B-Shift
    FTM-PTB-EGH-KTF

Sr. Information Officer

Thumbs up

Lt., I appreciate your post. It is always good to hear from someone who may have information...other than what may have been included in the AP wire stories. Please, do not hesitate to keep us informed regarding this issue! Thanks for the insight!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

I wanted to respond to Lt. Grace's post since I am the 'mutt firefighter Don Jones'. Mr. Grace indicated that he knew all the parties very well. Inaccurate: I don't know Mr. Grace except to see him a few times during mutual aid calls.

My 'history of lousy lawsuits' and 'employment difficulties' is inaccurate and spoken by someone with political influences from within the local good-old-boy system. Yes, I have stood up for what I believe in TWICE in my lifetime of public service and have paid a hefty price. I was a district officer in charge of a volunteer County Fire Station 21 in 1993 for several years. During that time I pushed hard for career firefighter coverage for our district, which was isolated and dependent upon volunteers who could not always respond. I felt the local taxpayers in our district deserved a prompt response when an emergency threatened their life or property. If our volunteers responded help would arrive in about 4-6 minutes. If no volunteers were available then response times sometimes reached up to 20 minutes since our backup (career staffed) station was far away. I got caught in politics between the local community, a local politician who was also a volunteer, and the fire administration. I did file a lawsuit after wrongful termination as a volunteer - since the head of fire services did not have his facts correct and refused to allow me to respond. The result of my sacrifice and hard work? Today the area served by county fire station 21 is protected by full-time career coverage and Advanced Life Support. As a matter or record, the county began providing career coverage shortly after my lawsuit was settled. In case you were wondering, I did not get a huge settlement, but did right the wrong made by the fire services director.

Regarding Edgewater Fire Department, yes there were good people and great service provided to the public. Unfortunately, a few people in the department witnessed a possible criminal event involving the Fire Chief, his Brother (who worked as a lieutenant) and the police department. Then, we sat back and watched as events unfolded and things were 'swept under the carpet'. What would you do? Come forward and tell the truth or sit back and keep your lips sealed? I again stepped forward and told the truth along with a few other employees of the fire department. The result? We were all crucified and black-balled out of the department. I have learned valuable lessons about public service and bureaucracy - keep your head down and keep your mouth shut. Unfortunately, I was raised to stand up for the 'right' thing and what I believe in.

So, to Mr. Brian Grace - please realize that you are entitled to your opinion as is everybody - but you are very misleading in your statements because you do NOT know all the facts. I hope that everyone can think of a situation in their lives where they wish they had just kept their mouth shut - instead of paying a hefty price. I'm not too regretful though - since having pride in standing up for what you believe in sometimes outweighs money or career.

Forum Member

There is nothing like digging up a 10 year old thread and on something that has probably been put to rest years ago.

The airing a departments laundry on an fourm isn't good.
    WhatNow and fotowun like this.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    There is nothing like digging up a 10 year old thread and on something that has probably been put to rest years ago.

The airing a departments laundry on an fourm isn't good.
    How do you kill a zombie thread? Shoot the server?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    How do you kill a zombie thread? Shoot the server?
    Probably that or get the web team to just delete this BS.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information