Thread: XRT Combi

Question XRT Combi

I looking to update my rescue Pumper with a XRT combi unit. I'm using Amkus tools. Yes I have looked at the ultimate system but it will not work on my truck. We are using elect. power units at this time. My Dept. hopes to increase tool speed by going to the XRT 3 tool system.
    Can anyone ease my mind on this system and its operation with amkus tools.
    Thanks,

Forum Member

I have played with the XRT system on their demo trailer, and what a system!! On their trailer we ran 3 tools at the same time, maxed them all out, and the system never slowed down. They have a light tower on the trailer to show you that the generator maintains its output even with all the tools being maxed out. You can call them, and I'm sure that they would bring the trailer out for you to play with. They offer a PTO driven pump as well.

Thumbs up xrt combie

this is a great system if you have the money if not try the new TNT diesel pump the first stage is 7,500 psi and will increase your speed and efficiency of your Amkus tools and yes it is 100% compatible!

dazed and confused

Default thoughts

Remember it's fluid flow that increases tool speed, not the pressure. All 10,000psi tools are basically the same as far as "strength."

What makes the tool faster is how fast it can flow 10,000psi fluid.

Amkus Ultimate System... a great option. We love ours. Pros: full-time 10,000psi operation with full fluid flow (I want to say it's 7gpm), no loss of power up to 300' from pump, Safety Controller Pendant, ability to operate 6 tools/pumps/generators/etc. simultaneously. Cons: COST, fixed system... 'bout it.

Westerbeke/XRT Combi unit: I, too, got to mess around with this system with our Amkus tools. Basically it's a diesel generator with a HRT pump that operates off the shaft of the generator. Yes, you can run 3 tools and the generator at the same time. But my experience was tool performance was sorely lacking in terms of speed. It took a while for it to build to pressure. And while the lights never really dimmed, a strain was definetely put on the engine and you could tell it didn't like it. Plus, it's another seperate engine system to maintain. One thing: if the truck fails, you still have your lights and extrication gear... it's completely independant which definetly has its benefits.

If cost or type of vehicle is an issue, the Westerbeke/XRT system is probably the way to go. But if you can swing it, (I know you said you can't... just saying) the Ultimate System offers the best performance hands-down.

Forum Member

Resq14,

Have you ever used the TNT Diesel, or 3.0 gas pump? I put it side by side with the "Ultimate". With the TNT pumps, I could open and close the cutter, before the Amkus Ultimate could even open the cutter!

Try it, you will love it, and can't beat the price!!

dazed and confused

Given that the Ultimate system is using the horsepower of your truck's engine to flow its hydraulic fluid, I would be very surprised if a stand-alone unit could beat its speed. The Ultimate system allows tool speed to be set... perhaps this truck you saw was throttled back, which some departments do due to concerns about the tool being "too fast." It's a simple adjustment. We run our tools at full speed.

No, I have not seen or used the TNT diesel or 3.0 pump. If you're sure what you compared them to was the Amkus brand PTO powered Ultimate HRT system, I would be very intrigued. There are still things the Ultimate system has to offer besides speed though.

But a faster tool? I'll have to do my own test I guess.
    Last edited by Resq14; 08-15-2002 at 12:15 AM.

Exclamation

You might want to try that test!

Thread Information