FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Unhappy "members only" forums

I have been a Forum Member since Jan 1999. Now FH wants to have a paid "members only" forums. So this means if I don't PAY for the "members only" forums I'm out???? Or I'm in till FH has enough people signed up to drop "FREE" FORUMS all together???
    I for one don't feel we should have to pay for our story. And it's not about the price. It's the principle of the whole thing. I know that this is a subject that the Webmaster will say FH is losing money with this web page. But all I see is advertisements. I buy from your advertisers ALL THE TIME. Ask Larry from Advanced.
    I just wanted to put my 2 cents in before FH "FREE" Forums are history...STAY SAFE BROTHERS
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 08-08-2002 at 10:09 AM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Are they getting rid of these forums? Or are they just adding new forums that you have to pay for?

Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

That would be too bad-this website is one of the best out there--since my day job is an ISP maybe I'll set up some free forums--Regarding the ads blitzing this site --since they stay away from annoying popups I think they have a good mindset--I actually click these ads to show support AND because they are relevant to this website and my interests (saw posts about Ben2 helmet, clicked firestore addy--bought Ben2 helmet).

Ooops got a fire call......
    "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

I, too, have been around since the inception. I understand the need to make money, but I don't agree to closing off firefighters, many of whom have excellent ideas and suggestions, from being able to participate just because they can't afford to or more likely, just don't want to, pay for posting on an internet forum. Bad idea in my book too.

Default Re: "members only" forums

Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
    ... Now FH wants to have a paid "members only" forums. So this means if I don't PAY for the "members only" forums I'm out???? Or I'm in till FH has enough people signed up to drop "FREE" FORUMS all together???
    I for one don't feel we should have to pay for our story. And it's not about the price. It's the principle of the whole thing. I know that this is a subject that the Webmaster will say FH is losing money with this web page. But all I see is advertisements.
    E40FDNYL35-

You're right on the money with everything you say here.

A couple of other things the Webteam will probably say:

1. "Oh no, we're not doing away with the free forums." (If they aren't, why bother to have duplicate forums, one free and one pay.)

And,

2. "Wow man, there's like way too much negative energy around here, man."

The good thing is, somewhere, someone will find a way to may this thing work with just the revenue from the ads.

Be safe brothers.
    "Go ugly early."

Unhappy na, they can't pull the plug, can they??

i am also worried about the outcome of this venture. there are A LOT of forum members right now, and i think it would just be bad buisness to leave them out in the cold. plus, as stated before, a lot of people do visit teh sponser sites and make purchases. we give them a reason to sponsor this site. hey webteam, can you add a little insight to where this situation may be going?? are we all over reacting or is there reason to worry? stay safe, peace.
    Matt G. Warminster Fire Dept. Station 90
    IAFF Local F-106

Forum Member

Default A Bunch of Bull*&@#

I have to agree with E40FDNYL35. The bad thing is that firehouse.com is the leading emergency services site on the web. They brag about having over 20,000 registered users and all of the pop-up adds but they still want our money. Doesn't make any sense to me.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Administrator

Default THESE FORUMS ARE FREE ... AND WILL ALWAYS BE FREE.

I have been a Forum Member since Jan 1999. Now FH wants to have a paid "members only" forums. So this means if I don't PAY for the "members only" forums I'm out????
    DO NOT believe anyone or any site that makes it appear we'll be charging for virtually anything we have on the site now.

Everything we will be offering is new, interactive online services which in no way could be done without a subscription ... no different than a subscription to a print magazine or online service. The new service has zero impact on the existing forums. These are ALL NEW THINGS WE WOULD NOT OTHERWISE BE ABLE TO OFFER WITH JUST ADVERTISING

In Fact ... The existing forums will, and always will be, free. The new service has ZERO impact on the new forums. And all forum members will benefit regardless as there will be much more in-depth profiles for all members.

The new forums will be tied specifically to new content sections and new state-by-state and regional forums. There will be no duplication. Many of the new forums as they are added will be moderated by some of the industry's top educators, like the University of Extrication currently is by Ron Moore.

Bottom line is if we don't expand our services and find new ways to generate revenue, there is no way the site will grow from its current state. The advertising does help, but it will not ever allow us enough to truly grow and offer new and exciting services which require a sizeable investment in technology.

The fees for the MembersZone, which are less than a one year subscription to any publication, is no different than subscribing to a magazine or other service...only instead of getting monthly content you get exciting new content every day and tons of interactive features. Other sites for jobs alone charge upwards of $10/month, and we're offering much much more for much much less.

And, the investment into the MembersZone and the success of it will benefit EVERY part of the site, FREE and MEMBERS including expanded infrastructure for news delivery, state by state pages with content for both FREE and PAID members.

The new forums are only a fraction of what will be offered in the MembersZone. No one is being left out in the cold at all. This is all NEW services that require a substantial investment in technology that will cross the entire site. Do NOT believe people who say we'll be charging for these current forums, its just not the fact.

You pay for subscriptions to magazines, we just ask you give us a chance to show you what we're going to offer by going to our preview section at http://www.firehouse.com/members/. If we could do it just on advertising, we would. But these are new things that just require such an investment and additional staff and content costs to maintain, it would be impossible.

But still, we are fireifghters too and the fees are extremely minimal (just a few dollars a month) and we're confident that when you see whats being offered, you'll enjoy it very much. When it comes to new training content and instant delivery of the content you want, and new interactive features that long-term will be the 'Classmates.com' of the fire and EMS service, you'll see its well worth it. And still for less than the cost of one magazine a month.

If you don't want to pay, you're not going to get anything less than what we offer now on the site, and you'll still benefit from those who do by some new services that will impact the entire site.

BUT ... If you do pay, you'll get some awesome content, access to magazine archives and contributing editors in more than a dozen new content sections, enhanced live chat, a personalized start page to get the content you want quickest, access to hiring information from hundreds of departments and so much more. PLEASE visit the preview page at http://www.firehouse.com/members and see what its all about. Its so much more than just a few new forums.

And educational content wise, long term, imagine getting your favorite monthly magazine with top features, columns and more EVERY DAY for the same price you pay every month. A year from now, thats where we hope we're at. Already more than two dozen of the industry's top educators and columnists have signed on board.

And we're about to annouce the launch of the Firehouse Network, which will allow Departments to post in-depth profiles on the site, tied to searchable Apparatus, an "Alumni' type site where registered members (paid and free) can tie themselves to up to two departments where they're members, multi-page profiles of your Department, searchable run surveys and MUCH MORE! All of this, as membership grows, will only enhance the entire site.

Thanks
    WebTeam

Thumbs up thank you.

hey, thanx for clearing that up for us web team, it actually sounds kinda cool. who knows, maybe i will sign up for the heck of it. thanks again. stay safe, peace.
    Matt G. Warminster Fire Dept. Station 90
    IAFF Local F-106

Permit us to hold back our judgement till we see what happens

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a quick question for the Webteam... If the subscription area is being paid for by the member's fees, are you going to do without twelve adds on every page?
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Administrator

There will be only minimal ads ever on Members Only pages specifically (like paid job ads on the 'public' Jobs entry page). There will still be the regular ads on pages that are all access.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Wink One question...

If we join the "Memebers zone" do we get those cool
    "Member's only" jackets from the 80s?

Default Webteam

Is the Member's Zone going to have a free preview period to all members, say for a month so we can actually see what we are paying for? Just like what I would do if I picked up a magazine in a store prior to buying it,I would like to actually read your editor's particular contributions and make my own decision if I like the content.

Administrator

Is the Member's Zone going to have a free preview period to all members, say for a month so we can actually see what we are paying for? Just like what I would do if I picked up a magazine in a store prior to buying it,I would like to actually read your editor's particular contributions and make my own decision if I like the content.
    There isn't a free access period for all folks in general, but all the section pages will be open to anyone and the articles will be whats part of the actual service.

Additionally, since the service will launch throughout September, pre-registration memberships will run from the launch date in early September through October 30, 2003, so you will get some 'extra time' to play around.

There will also be preview articles like John Salka's now (clickable from the front page) throughout the month.

But due to the nature of the content (and the interactive features that will be customized for each user) there isn't a free preview persee of everything. There will be, however, quarterly registrations so you can try it for three months and renew for the full year or another quarter, or cancel.

Thanks
    WebTeam

Thumbs down Popularity?????????

Popularity comes and goes..so too do Web Sites. As a member back in 1998 as RESCUEDAWG........I ceased coming into the Forums due to cases of non-intelligence. I re-entered as FDNYRR hoping things were better.........they were until the Web Master decided to get fancy! First we're told our everyday jargon is no longer accepted, then we're deluged with advertising, and asked if we had any ideas to spead up the site. Now after the tempting offer to join a special feature of this site, we're told it's a "Members Only" feature. FH Forums are extremly popular now.........keep it up though, and someone may decide to start a site to bring back the old common place talk and discussion area! Personally......I smell a snake in the wood-pile! I guess this calls for admonisment...oh well, admonished I've been before
    "All gave some...Some gave all!"
    9/11/01 Lest we forget!
    FDNYRR

Why can't we just pay like 5.00 more a year for the magazine and have the "new" section included in our membership? There are MANY online journals that allow subscription to their sites because the user has a print subscription as well. You are going to only serve to split up this web site into paid and non-paid...kinda like the fire service...

Why not try charging those who pay to advertise more before passing it onto those who are the only reason you have a web site to start with. Besides, most of us are volunteer and pay enough for the magazines and journals to stay informed...make a deal with the magazine price for online access or raise the price for advertisement.

Administrator

Now after the tempting offer to join a special feature of this site, we're told it's a "Members Only" feature
    The MembersZone has been promoted for nearly a year before it launches. This isn't something new. If you don't like how the forums are moderated, don't like the advertising (without which there would be no site, or certainly a considerbly smaller one) or don't want to follow a few simple rules, don't post here.

Why can't we just pay like 5.00 more a year for the magazine and have the "new" section included in our membership
    The MembersZone is not simply a new "section". Again, we encourage you all to visit the Preview Site at http://www.firehouse.com/members and see what its all about. Its a substantial service that could not otherwise be afforded or maintained without a subscription service. It requires its own staff, its own servers and a considerable investment in technology, the first sizeable investment of its kind since Firehouse.com launched four years ago.

The MembersZone simply isnt a few extra articles here and there, its considerable new content from dozens of new contributors, plus tons of interactive features including ways to tie yourself to your own department and keep in touch with lost friends. The forums have little to do with the new service. And again, NOTHING currently on the site is lost. We know where our bread is buttered and we are firefighters ourselves. We are offering incredible services for just a few dollars a month. And we'll continue to offer the web's best source of news, information and discussion for ALL users on the main site.

Again, folks, you're not losing anything. These forums aern't going anywhere. The main site isn't going anywhere.

This is all new stuff, all interactive, and very thorough. The forums have very little to do with the new services, with the exception of some new moderated content specific forums and a few others. Nothing that exists now changes, except getting some upgraded back-end content management that benefits all users.

Its like getting a new magazine every week, instead of every month, plus a completely interactive services where you get the content you want, quickly. Not to mention a jobs service and so much more. The preview site includes thorough reviews and features listed at http://www.firehouse.com/members/

To those of you who keep insisting, for whatever reason, that these forums are somehow tied to MembersZone subscriptions and will go away, you are wrong. If anyone wants to see what it takes to manage, update, maintain, and grow this site we encourage you to visit.

Firehouse.com is not a buff site run part time by a few people. It takes a substantial amount of manpower, financial resources, and content to do it. And we are all dedicated to continuing making this the #1 site by far for first responders. in EVERYTHING we do the user comes first. Thats why the MembersZone is cheaper than the price of any industry magazine or journal, despite the fact it will deliver CONSIDERABLY more services and content than anywhere.

Nothing on the site will change, only there will essentially be a 'new' segment added with tons of features that thousands of people will enjoy for a very minimal fee. If you choose not to participate, you still won't 'lose' anything that exists now.

You are free to not desire to participate in the MembersZone or ANY service on Firehouse.com that requires a fee or personal information. But we can promise in the short and long term, the MembersZone itself will be the best thing online for first responders, and the investment in technology and support therof will benefit every user, whether member or not, by enhancing the overall user experience.

Its not about a paycheck or making tons of cash here. Whether its dropping everything on a weekend when a firefighter is killed in the line of duty to report it to you, or getting up at 6 a.m. to post the latest round of grant winners, we don't do it because of some financial benefit. We work together to produce the best site, content and community possible. If we could offer every service free or at minimal cost we would, but it takes tons of work, and tons of resources to run, manage and grow Firehouse.com.

We've worked very hard to make the MembersZone something every user will enjoy their experience of, while at the same time not sacrificing the majority of content and community of the base site that will, and will always be, free for all users.

Thank you

Dave J Iannone
    Publisher & Founder
    Firefighter/EMT
    Firehouse.com

Christopher Hebert
    Co-Founder & WebTeam Director
    Firefighter/EMT
    Firehouse.com

Looking for the Penguin that stole my beer.

Talking

hehehe...

Dang you rattled the bee's hive on that one.

hehehe...
    ---NO RETREAT... NO SURRENDER---

______Look Ma'... No Hands______

Administrator

We only get rattled when folks still wanna think we're charging for the forums. Its just a rumor that needs to end. There will be some new specially moderated forums based on new exciting content. But we'd never take away the base news, forums, links and other features of the site for all users that have made it what it is.

P.S. If you're going to call us a snake, at least us be one in a old abandoned firehouse or something, not a wood pile. That would be much cooler.

-WebTeam

Thread Information