Default Laws governing Volunteer Firefighters

If anyone knows where I can find information concerning laws governing volunteer departments in the State of Texas please reply. I am looking for information such as traffic laws and equipment on personal vehicles. Thanks

Thanks for the reply, but there was no accident involved. I am having a problem with a sheriff about us responding emergency traffic in a POV. The best I can tell is that volunteers in Texas fall under the same guidelines as other emergency responders as far as traffic rules are concerned.

I tried to send you a message through your profile, but not sure if you got it. Volunteer POVs in Texas do follow under the guidelines as "authorized emergency vehicles". I am not sure why a deputy is giveing yall greif in Harris County. Departments such as Spring VFD, Cy-Fair VFD, Northwest VFD and Cypress Creek EMS run with Lightbars and sirens on their POVs. Look at the Traffic Code sections 546.000 and 547.305, basically this says that a Volunteer POV can meet the def of an emergency vehicle, which has the equipment of two front and two rear flashing red lights as high as possible and a siren or as a volunteer you can use a red light temporarly atached to the roof. Your departments liability insurance should cover you as you drive to the station. Just drive to some of the stations in North/Northwest Harris County and you can see all the rigs the volunteers have, everything from a mini lightbar to so many lights most fire trucks would be put to shame.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Vermont Statutes

Quote Originally Posted by jjtroutkiller View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but there was no accident involved. I am having a problem with a sheriff about us responding emergency traffic in a POV. The best I can tell is that volunteers in Texas fall under the same guidelines as other emergency responders as far as traffic rules are concerned.
    http://www.leg.state.vt.us/statutes/...&Section=01015

Forum Member

Look on the Big Country Firefighters Association Home page BCFFA.net and then go to training there is a link about the state laws governing the use of red lights on POVs

Wyatt Oakley, Chief
    Stamford Fire Department

Thread Information