Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Anyone come across this before??

My service runs with Amkus hydraulic rescue tools and we have come across a problem recently.

During an exercise using the cutter tool, it split from the connectors at the base, right up to the top next to the jaws, obviously spraying everyone within range in fluids and bits of metal.

The item was replaced from stores and the new one stowed back in the locker. It has not been used at an incident/exercise since it was replaced. Yesterday, during checks on the gear, it was found to have split in exactly the same way as the first. AS a result, we have had to withdraw all cutters on 12 of the fleet until they can be checked thoroughly at the suppliers.

I was wondering if this has occurred with anyone in the past?
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

My Department has been using amkus for over 20 years and i have never seen or heard of anything like this before.

Forum Member

Question

Here is a GUESS, and only a GUESS. Do you know if the tool body is machined, or cast. I have heard of problems like that in other tools that had a body that was cast, or poured into a mold. Sometimes the metal has a weakness in it from the casting process. If both cutters did this, check to see how far apart they were purchased, compare serial numbers, there may have been a bad batch of metal at the plant, even if it was machined.

Again this is only a GUESS!

Good Luck, be safe!

It is always easier to get Forgiveness than Permission
    Last edited by WLynch; 08-12-2002 at 02:13 PM.

Just got an update. As was mentioned earlier, the bodies of the tools were cast and it appears that the seam of the casts let go under pressure on the first tool. Still not sure about the second. Possibly it had been mishandled and put down heavily causing the seam to crack. Luckily the other sets have all been tested and xrayed and are fine.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Thread Information