Cool New to the scene

Hi everyone. I am new to the field and not exactly a spring chicken. Right now I am only a vol. at a fire dept., but I want to work full-time. So can anyone tell me what my next step should be? I just received information that I passed all the state exam for EMT-B I just have to wait for my cert.# I should also say that I am willing to do what needs to be done in order to work full-time. Should that be going to FF 1 and 2 classes going to medic classes(which I am very interested in doing). Someone give me a clue.

Forum Member

First of all meet all the requirements for training for the volunteer department you are in.

Next decide if you want to be strictly EMS, strictly fire, or both.. Then check out the services that are paid and get a list of requirements you need to join their departments. Most paid fire departments will send you through their fire acedemy and if you past that you then get hired depending on number of students, grades, and number of openings... As far as EMS - you are ready to go as a Basic EMT, if you desire you can go to paramedic school now or while you are working.. Best to get a couple of years experience as a basic before making that step up. May sure this is what you really want to do..

So basicially seek applications - look at their requirements for hiring and then chose which ones you are qualified for and apply..

Hopefully this will help..

FYI - I was an EMT for 2 years before seeking my Paramedic...

Thread Information