Administrator

Default These Forums Are Free. They Will Always Be Free.

The following is a reply to a thread in another post. We thought we would post it here for the benefit of our most active users who post in these forums. Those spreading rumors and such that we will EVER charge for these forums (or any of the main content on the site) are false. We just wanted to set the record straight. We appreciate everyone's support of the site as a whole, especially our most dedicated forum users who engage in great discussion.

Thanks
    WebTeam

Now after the tempting offer to join a special feature of this site, we're told it's a "Members Only" feature
    The MembersZone has been promoted for nearly a year before it launches. This isn't something new. If you don't like how the forums are moderated, don't like the advertising (without which there would be no site, or certainly a considerbly smaller one) or don't want to follow a few simple rules, don't post here.

Why can't we just pay like 5.00 more a year for the magazine and have the "new" section included in our membership
    The MembersZone is not simply a new "section". Again, we encourage you all to visit the Preview Site at http://www.firehouse.com/members and see what its all about. Its a substantial service that could not otherwise be afforded or maintained without a subscription service. It requires its own staff, its own servers and a considerable investment in technology, the first sizeable investment of its kind since Firehouse.com launched four years ago.

The MembersZone simply isnt a few extra articles here and there, its considerable new content from dozens of new contributors, plus tons of interactive features including ways to tie yourself to your own department and keep in touch with lost friends. The forums have little to do with the new service. And again, NOTHING currently on the site is lost. We know where our bread is buttered and we are firefighters ourselves. We are offering incredible services for just a few dollars a month. And we'll continue to offer the web's best source of news, information and discussion for ALL users on the main site.

Again, folks, you're not losing anything. These forums aern't going anywhere. The main site isn't going anywhere.

This is all new stuff, all interactive, and very thorough. The forums have very little to do with the new services, with the exception of some new moderated content specific forums and a few others. Nothing that exists now changes, except getting some upgraded back-end content management that benefits all users.

Its like getting a new magazine every week, instead of every month, plus a completely interactive services where you get the content you want, quickly. Not to mention a jobs service and so much more. The preview site includes thorough reviews and features listed at http://www.firehouse.com/members/

To those of you who keep insisting, for whatever reason, that these forums are somehow tied to MembersZone subscriptions and will go away, you are wrong. If anyone wants to see what it takes to manage, update, maintain, and grow this site we encourage you to visit.

Firehouse.com is not a buff site run part time by a few people. It takes a substantial amount of manpower, financial resources, and content to do it. And we are all dedicated to continuing making this the #1 site by far for first responders. in EVERYTHING we do the user comes first. Thats why the MembersZone is cheaper than the price of any industry magazine or journal, despite the fact it will deliver CONSIDERABLY more services and content than anywhere.

Nothing on the site will change, only there will essentially be a 'new' segment added with tons of features that thousands of people will enjoy for a very minimal fee. If you choose not to participate, you still won't 'lose' anything that exists now.

You are free to not desire to participate in the MembersZone or ANY service on Firehouse.com that requires a fee or personal information. But we can promise in the short and long term, the MembersZone itself will be the best thing online for first responders, and the investment in technology and support therof will benefit every user, whether member or not, by enhancing the overall user experience.

Its not about a paycheck or making tons of cash here. Whether its dropping everything on a weekend when a firefighter is killed in the line of duty to report it to you, or getting up at 6 a.m. to post the latest round of grant winners, we don't do it because of some financial benefit. We work together to produce the best site, content and community possible. If we could offer every service free or at minimal cost we would, but it takes tons of work, and tons of resources to run, manage and grow Firehouse.com.

We've worked very hard to make the MembersZone something every user will enjoy their experience of, while at the same time not sacrificing the majority of content and community of the base site that will, and will always be, free for all users.

Thank you

Dave J Iannone
    Publisher & Founder
    Firefighter/EMT
    Firehouse.com

Christopher Hebert
    Co-Founder & WebTeam Director
    Firefighter/EMT
    Firehouse.com

Looking for the Penguin that stole my beer.

Talking Freedom!!!

They can take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!!

Sorry I'm tired, it's late and I still have to work for another 9 hours... I'll probably erase this in the morning.

Hey as long as the webteam never says: "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here."

OK I'm done, I think. Drew
    ---NO RETREAT... NO SURRENDER---

______Look Ma'... No Hands______

Administrator

We'll defenitely never say that We want this to be everyone's home online. Thats our goal.

WebTeam

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Question

To webteam.
    Dont take this the wrong way, but I always wondered is the "webteam" really a team? or is it a single omnipitent person? or a computer? just always wondered that.

take care dfdex1

Administrator

Default And the Answers Are

(posted from another forum) ... (P.S. Hope you REALLY don't think it could be a computer....although that would be a VERY impressive computer)

How many people is the webteam made up of

- Firehouse.com has 15 full time and 5 part time employees, of which five manage the actual posting/development of the site. The rest are sales, news, research and support personnel.

Do you folks have other jobs

- A few of the full time and part time employees also hold 'second' full time jobs ... as firefighters.

Are you all located in the same area of the US

- Firehouse.com is a full time operation with headquarters office in College Park, Maryland. We have a full time reporter based in California and regular photographic and editorial contributors all over the country. That contributor list expands greatly with the MembersZone.

Are you each assigned a certain area of the forums to monitor, if not, do you consult with each other before posting

- Everyone views the forums, but for the majority of the issues that come up here, they are brought to our attention by the users themselves, especially when there are problems. With hundreds of posts per day, its impossible to monitor everything. Only the two most senior members of the WebTeam at the moment edit or engage in discussion on the posts.

Although for things like the grants, we may be posting information obtained by other staff members. The fact is monitoring the forums and dealing with issues here is probably only 5 hours a week total in personnel time, unless there are specific major issues which happen, but not that much.

And a few other routine answers:

- Of the 15 full time and 5 part time staff, about half are paid and volunteer firefighters in the Maryland and Washington, D.C. area, on both the sales and WebTeam sides. The full time news operation, with the exception of one part-timer, are strictly professional journalists.

As you can tell by the number of staff, it takes considerable personnel resources to run a site like Firehouse.com and keep up with the major news and information seven days a week. As we grow on all sides, especially with the MembersZone and new content and interactive features throughout the site, the staff is expected to grow to about 20 by the end of next year.

Thanks
    WebTeam

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Thank you - your right that would be a impressive computer!
    Thanks dfdex1

FIGJAM

I throw my full support behind the Members Zone- I can't wait....

Bring it on!
    Luke

Looking for the Penguin that stole my beer.

Question ?

Do I feel a group hug comming on here? No? Ok, didn't want to anyways...

Drew
    ---NO RETREAT... NO SURRENDER---

______Look Ma'... No Hands______

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I signed up!

Thought about it for all of 10 seconds. Bring it on! The pre-view is great, but I want the real deal.

Forum Member

Hey Webteam,

er ah...I love you guys......

Come on Drew, back to your desk.......the hug is over.

Seriously WT..you have done well to explain the memberzone, thanks.

Dave

IACOJ Agitator

Webteam, you are much better now that you show personality as opposed to being the IWT.

Drew, my 21 month-old daughter is addicted to Braveheart...I've watched it about 10 times over the last week, at least.

I'm contemplating paying. I'm the type that would like to see a "live version" for a demo before I decide to invest my money. Must be the software developer in me.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

District Chief

I also was skeptical about the "members zone" and the purpose. Could not figure out why we needed it if the "forums" were working. But none the less, I pre-registered months ago just to see what it is all about. If I don't like it I can certainly drop the subscription. I really enjoy the "forums" as they are and the new friends I have made and am very very proud to be a member of the IACOJ!!!!

I also responded to the request for correspondants and following all the information given, supplied everything requested to be considered. I had not heard anything after several weeks (over a month) so I asked the WEBTEAM..What's up? They pointed me to "brian" at the WEBTEAM and I contacted him and he advised me to send in the information requested. I responded that I had submitted all my paperwork and had received an acknowldging email for it....Have not heard another word. I am very disappointed in that fact...It does not seem someone is playing on the correct page.

But...I still am anxiously waiting to see what this "members zone" is all about... Will never leave the "Real Forums" though.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Talking drewbo, follow me......

follow me to freedom!!!! no, seriously, i was just goin to the bar. well, i'm running to get away from that penguin, do you know what his tabs up to?!?!?! hehe WT you never let us wonder far from the truth and reality of things. thanks for keeping us strait!! now could ya just get this pesky penguin from followin me for just a second....? stay safe, peace!!
    Matt G. Warminster Fire Dept. Station 90
    IAFF Local F-106

Forum Member

I think the penguin's tab is running a close second to mine... I just sign my pay cheque back over to the place every other week.

As for the memberzone, sounds good, but when you convert those american funds to the great canadian paso, damn, I would need to take out a second job to cover it, and my tab!

You guys don't take Canadian Tire Money do you?

Second thought, how about empties? I could pay for it in empties...

Serously, the Webteam does a fran-freak'n-tastic job of running this place, and I do consider it my online home... Hell, I met my future wife on here, had my bachalor party on here, and shared many a thought (and drink) with my fellow brothers when I feel a little down, not to mention meeting a truck load of what could be considered the world's best people (yeah, I am talking about you guys, but don't let it go to your head).

As soon as I figure out how to get my Canuck money to ya I will. I want to be in on the ground floor, besides, maybe if enough of us canucks join up we might get to read some Canuck-ian stories (BTW, I sorta like it how every fire department north of the boarder is refered to as "The Canadian Fire Department" in the headlines...) Naw, just giving ya a hard time, I know it can be hard smuggling info out of here, you know, with our crack team of boarder commandos...
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

IACOJ BOD

26 the penguin just called and said "It cannot be free all the time, cause after the fird birfday you are four"

I guess you need a beak to say it right.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's a thing of beauty. I love youse guys.
    Michael "Mick" Mayers
    Acting Director, Urban Search and Rescue
    South Carolina Emergency Response Task Force
    www.sctf1.sc.gov

District Chief

WEBTEAM....Can you refer back to my previous post on this thread??...ok....now that you have had a chance to read it... What can I do?

I sent in all the documentation and requested information and was acknolwedged....however, the person you referred me to seemed oblivious to my submissions to the WEBTEAM. I understand your ranks are limited and everyone is busy....but..I dont want to miss the boat.

And....lastly.....when will the "members zone kick" off?
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Administrator

captstanm1

You need to send Brian a resume and some writing samples and correspond via him on e-mail, not on these forums which we may not review for a few days at a time depending on what else is going on. You most likely won't be included in the initial launch wave of contributors at this point.

There will be an email going out to those who pre-registered today with an update, the service will launch the bulk in early September and then be full operational with all the features within a few weeks.

Thanks
    WebTeam

Thread Information