Post working with tow trucks

I am wondering how many of the departments have and do use towing companys or have there own heavy duty wreckers (L.A.F.D) for serious accidents where lifts are nessesary or some other extreem situations.

there is a good example of this in the july firehouse. LAFD has a HD Wrecker and lifted a trailer off of a car. ended up saving a life.

i know of other situations

are there any departments that train with towing and recovery companys?

i know chicago does occesionaly with the ilinois department of transportation emergency traffic patrole

Thumbs up BIG RIG RESCUE offers cross training

YES, there are departments that are proactive in cross training with local tow operators. These firefighters leave their training with a new appreciation of what capabilities are provided by professional operators and their eqt. Many tow operators recieve professional level training and achieve national certification through such organizations as Towing and Recovery Assoc. of America, Wreckmasters, plus their state agencies. Their eqt. is well maintained and offers tremendous advantages to rescuers.

It is a wise idea to seek out your local tow folks and offer to train with them. Further, seek out high quality training for tow operators and complete the program as a rescuer. There is lots to learn that will help you! The BIG RIG RESCUE book provides a wealth of information for the topic as well. It is available from Firefighter's Bookstore (800.727.3327 or firebooks.com) and A&W Direct (800.243.3194). The price is well worth the information.

The BIG RIG RESCUE program offers valid information regarding interacting with tow operators. Such information includes lots of winching, heavy lifting, and cribbing information, plus vehicle anatomy and extrication. Its very simple to offer a BRR program and is inexpensive too. If you're interested please send me an email.

Forum Member

LAFD's heavy rescue is actually a HD rotater tow truck.I have seen this truck being used in ways I wouldn't use it but I'm sure there was some logic in why things were done in that manner.In our area we rely heavily on several towing companies who are well trained and well equipped to handle situations outside of the equipment we carry on our Heavy rescue.The best thing you can do is locate qualified Towing companies in your area,see if they would be interested in being on your resource list(Most will)and involve them in cross training.This will involve a Fire Dept. attitude change as well as educating the towers to the IMS system.A tow truck in qualified hands is a powerful tool,capable of feats beyond a lot of firefighters beliefs.Billy Leach is one of the country's leading authorities on Fire/Towing interface,his program Big Rig Rescue is second to none.There is a BRR class in Concord,NH on Sept 6-7-8-02 but time grows short to get in.Details can be had either by seeing BRR in The University of Extrication or by contacting Billy.There is enough action in this program to challenge the most experienced Extrication Tech.A very reasonably priced program for the information recieved.In our area alone,in the last 6 months,my towing company has been called out 14 times to assist with a rescue.We have trained almost 20 local firefighters who are now qualified to assist my operators in recovery rigging.This greatly cuts down the time required before the actual rescue commences.It has been good for the Dept. and a help to the company.Hope this helps answer your question.T.C.

i am extreemly involved in my towing assosiation and always interested in improving my skills and working with fd.
    if i put together a big rig rescue class in the chicago area do i have any one in here interested?
    please post a reply or e-mail me

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

YES! We have a particular tow operator that has anything from a regular tow truck all the way up to a crane. We've used him on big rig rescues, body recoveries off bridges and in trenches (crane). Training is a must - and knowing you have someone you can trust makes things much less stressful!
    Susan Lounsbury
    Winston-Salem Rescue Squad
    Griffith Volunteer FD

Thumbs up Trng. is fundamental

Mutual trng. is fundamental to ensure success during extrication. I urge you to seek out your local towing professionals and ask that they cross train with you.

Large recovery units are obviously well equipped for heavy rescue, yet rarely used. Why? Lets try to answer that question, and develop solutions to problems.

Forum Member

JRM,you gotta do this school,it's awesome!Think you'll see some fresh posting on it soon.T.C.

Thread Information