FIGJAM

Thumbs down Ammunition/Explosive Bunker Fires

Someone needs to help me out here.

I saw the photostory on this site of a fire involving an ammunition/explosive storage bunker. Click here to view it.

In light of reading and viewing that, I've got a few questions....

Why are so many fire fighters working around the bunker and the two trailers with fire and smoke issuing when it was known that they were storing explosives?

Why are so many firefighters not wearing full PPE? (There is photos of firefighters with no helmets, B.A. is being worn but not used and there's a shot of someone who appears to be wearing jeans- not turn out pants.)

Who does the overhaul to ensure the fire is totally out? Do they wear any special protective clothing?

Who declares this sort of scene safe to enter?

Has anyone been to a fire such as this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

Default HOLY COW!!!

There used to be a commercial (big stuff) fireworks factory about 15 miles north of us. Several years ago, it blew up. Literally. Left a crater in the ground where the building once stood.

There is NO WAY that our little rural VFD comes anywhere near being able to deal with something like this.

We would therefore use the "rule of thumb", as taught by some of our instructors from Oklahoma State University Fire Service Training: Holding it at arms length and closing one eye, keep backing up until the entire incident is covered by your thumb.
    Asst. Chief Bill

International Order of the Fraternal Brotherhood of the Club

Somewhere in or near north central Creek County, Oklahoma

FIGJAM

I'm stunned by this response, killerb! (The photo-story, not yours!)

We need to remember that our safety comes first....

Based on your comment that you could not handle a response like this, what would you do to control the fire if you have one, or would you simply back away using your "rule of thumb" and wait for it to burn itself out? (With a bit of luck, it may launch itself into a neighbouring jurisdiction! )
    Luke

I don't know about them, but I think I would go way down the road and direct traffic.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Addendum

If we were the first to arrive to a burning ammo dump or explosives factory, we would back off, isolate the scene, and deny entry.

(One of the rules that should be near the top of the list is KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS.)

For a safety zone around something like this, it would require assistance from other area FDs and local and state law enforcement agencies.

We would call Creek County Emergency Management (one stop shopping for extreme situations), who would then call for whatever resources from the county were required to deal with the incident. (Although I can't imagine what possible resources would be available to fight a fire in an ammo dump - maybe some of the military firefighters in the forum could enlighten us on that one.)

If the county couldn't handle it, they would bump it up to the state, and if the state couldn't handle it, the Governor would request assistance from Federal government.

That pic blows my mind. I can't imagine why anyone would be working that close to something that dangerous. My strategy would be to back WAY off, grab a camcorder, and let it burn, baby!

And of course, to watch for the inevitable spot fires downwind, which we are more than adequately prepared to deal with.

Come to think of it, working downwind from something like this would be one of those situations where fighting a grass fire in full bunker gear while wearing an SCBA might be appropriate.

There IS a bomb factory near McAlester, Oklahoma, by the way. A truck carrying a load of bombs on Interstate 40 exploded a few years ago, leaving a huge crater that covered both lanes in one direction, and one of the lanes in another. This happened not too far from the site where the river bridge on I-40 collapsed due to a barge collision a few months ago.
    Last edited by killerb; 08-10-2002 at 11:26 PM.
    Asst. Chief Bill

International Order of the Fraternal Brotherhood of the Club

Somewhere in or near north central Creek County, Oklahoma

FIGJAM

Here's another shot. I can only assume that this is a shot of the overhaul being done....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Luke

Forum Member

Let's remember that these pictures represent a micro-second in time.........

FIGJAM

Couldn't agree with you more ColegeBuff.

But the fact remains (Look at the pictures- it is fact!) that there are numerous firefighters in what is a potentially deadly incident with little or no regard for personal safety.

I still raise the same questions as my original post- who declares it's safe, what extra PPE should be worn, etc.
    Luke

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Smile my very small experience

I know very little about ammo fires. It is assumed that the rounds fire off like from a gun. But I have been told that they only "pop or cook off" with no travel.

BUT, I like the advise and discussion here, play it safe and isolate.

FIGJAM

I have a mate who went to local gun club that was on fire one night.

They set monitors up and hid behind their trucks becasue the ammunition was flying around everywhere!

They waited for it to burn itself out then went in and overhauled....
    Luke

Thread Information