Thread: Race Car crash

Forum Member

Default Race Car crash

For those of you who haven't heard, Jason Priestly, a star who played a character on Beverly Hills 90210 years back and starred in several shows was involved in a race car crash today. It was reportedly a head-on crash into the wall. He is reported to be in recoverable condition.

*Mark

MembersZone Subscriber

What possible relevance to the fire service does this post serve?

Forum Member

Automobile crash... some fire departments still respond to them. Movie star, some people still watch shows for the entertainments value. Race car involved, there are race fans that follow these boards.

*Mark

MembersZone Subscriber

Automobile crash... some fire departments still respond to them. Movie star, some people still watch shows for the entertainments value. Race car involved, there are race fans that follow these boards.
    And some fire fighters own stocks. But we don't post the stock market quotes. Take it to the off-duty forums.

Well actually, he may have a point here. The CART series is coming to St. Petersburg and SPFD handles the fire protection in the pit area as well as backing up the on-track CART crews. Also NFPA has/is writing the 610 codes that give specifications for on track firefighting. As far as wrecks are concerned that particular car did hi t the wall head on, the bulkhead that protects the driver's feet has clearly marked the wall, you can actually see the outline with the tire marks on both sides. Straight in or straight back in, is always the hardest hit, probably because the vehicle cannot shed energy as well and more is transferred to the driver's compartment. Stock cars are a little different in this respect because they are not designed to shed parts to absorb energy. As far as whoever it was in the car, a driver is a driver, This wreck would have never made news if he wasn't an actor, and I hope he does well, but the other story is that the person sitting on the pole for the Indycar race at this track is Sarah Fischer (fisher?) a first for the female types.

Administrator

Really. Enough.

If you want to politely ask someone to post something in a proper or different topic, do it. But if you can't do it without being rude or basically telling another user what to do as if you are in charge, don't post and go elsewhere.

To the rest of you who chose to not just bash someone for posting a topic in a slightly incorrect category, feel free to continue the discuss HERE in the Firefighters forum ... we'll let this one stay here. Even the most basic stories about pit fires are ALWAYS popular on the site

Thank you
    WebTeam

Blacksheep,

He knew the job was dangerous when he took it.

No really, I don't know the in's and out's of rescue for that type of vehicle but I do know one thing. IF, for whatever reason, the media is watching when you go to pull the guy (or gal) out of the car, you will be scrutinized by EVERYONE. So do it right... Get the KED out from under all the gear in your rig (remember that green thing we used once in EMT school?) and use it. Yes, a driver is a driver, so do everyone else right if they crash too.

I'm sure that the track has some sort of policy on fire crews and rescue crews and what is expected, so go over that stuff and drill once or twice before you're actually out there on the track. Nobody want's to look like the Keystone Cops when it's for real.

Have fun, and enjoy the races!

Amen on the scrutiny deal, SPFD has worked with the Sports Car Club of America for years on the downtown Trans-Am races.You are really under the microscope. The racing fire/rescue operation is pretty interesting. Some of the vehicles seats are designed to maintain c-spine and are removed with the driver, but if not I'm a big fan of the keds. Being a racer myself I had the opportunity to field test some of this hardware in turn 1 at Sebring. I healed faster when I was younger.

Forum Member

Webteam, thank you.
    I posted this before I saw any photo's or video footage of the crash except for the Rescue crew wheeling him away. I have since saw the image of the wall that was hit. It is pretty amazing to see the imprint and outline of the vehicle and tires on the wall. How many of us have actually been on a crash with a speed of that? I know I haven't and hope to never.

*Mark

Forum Member

I was at the Kentucky Speedway about four hours after the crash to see the IRL Belterra 300. The Fire and EMS crews appeared to be very professional and on the ball. Hate to see anybody hurt in any type of crash. Its amazing the abuse those cars can take and still keep the driver alive. To update, Priestly was moved to the Methodist Hospital in Indy (famous for treating race injuries) on Monday afternoon in serious but stable condition. A full recovery is expected.
    See You At The Big One

Forum Member

First I heard of this, he hit the wall in a type of car that can go 175 mph. Then, he was doing that when he hit the wall. Now, it's up to 200 mph. I saw the car (or at least pictures of the car that the media was showing over and over and over) and I must say, it's in remarkable shape for a vehicle that was involved in a 200mph collision with a concrete wall. The only damage I could see was to the nose cone at the front of the car. When Indy type cars wreck at those type of speeds, you're lucky if the driver's cage is still intact. And these are mostly glancing impacts. The front suspension and wheels looked to be intact on Priestly's car, whereas they are usually the first things to go in most accidents I've seen, even at speeds much lower than 200mph. Just wonder if the media is blowing it out of proportion. Any forum members out there that pull duty at speedways or drag strips??

StroutKristen,

Actually I haven't heard anything about adding kevlar to the belts. NASCAR did a good job of analyzing Earnhardt's crash, although many people still believe the car was still going well over 150mph when it hit. I would have never, in a million years, thought that a belt would come apart the way that one did. To be fair to Simpson products, I reaaly don't think that could've been predicted. I happen to believe in Simpson and try to use their products whenever I can because I feel that they are not only pioneers and innovators but also have the best quality product there is. (if you have a $100.00 head, wear a $100.00 helmet).

Sorry, I had to go on a call there, those cars that Priestly drove are in the feeder series for the Indy cars. That class is designed to give drivers experience before moving up. His hit was about 175mph, but I assume he was probably hard on the brakes before the impact so it may have been a lot less. The car held up real well for that kind of an impact.

Forum Member

My, wasn't there a frisky debate over whether Earnhardt's seat belt was cut or torn? From the looks of it, it had to be torn. No seat belt cutter would leave one looking like that.

That was a bad wreck, but anybody who saw Geoffrey Bodine's truck crash at Daytona a couple years ago--where he rolled down the entire straightaway & his engine bounced to the infield--has to be impressed with the capabilities of these cars. I think the soft walls hold a lot of promise too--as Earnhardt said, he'd rather they be fixing the wall than scraping him off of it.

Thread Information