Default Stupid People...

Do they not see the blasted overpass fire that their driving under?

(From the photo diary of the Florida tanker fire)

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

DUHRR... Looky at tha purdy orange far wit da purdy black smoke from this here overpass. It won't fall down on me cuz it's up there, and I'm down here... DUHRR...
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

MembersZone Subscriber

Dal:
    They were probably talking on their cell phones and didn't see it!

Forum Member

Come on Dal, can't you see that they are in a hurry......

Default How are they stupid

Maybe im missing something but how exactly are these people stupid, they are driving on a road that appearently was deemed safe by those in charge and kept open, so what would make them stupid. If anything the stupid ones here would be those who choose to leave this road open for traffic.

MembersZone Subscriber

Come on Dal, can't you see that they are in a hurry
    perhaps they are searching for common sense.

Talking on a cell phone, eating spaghetti with meatballs, drinking a bottled soda, putting on makeup, reading the newspaper, looking for a better radio station, and looking for the lit cigarette they just dropped.

Another lifetime volunteer proud to serve my community.

Forum Member

Cheffie,

Commonsense is long gone, but we can still keep looking!

Funkyfire,

Smile...relax...have fun.

Dave

FIGJAM

Who's stupid?

The ones driving on the road or the emergency services and authorities that kept the road open and allowed them to drive under it?
    Luke

Looking for the Penguin that stole my beer.

Talking Scared of the Cops...

The OIC was probably scared of being tossed in the back of a squad car if he closed the traffic. He was remembering the incident in Washinton DC a few years back... (DC Chief got arrested for closing down a four lane highway to protect his crews)
    ---NO RETREAT... NO SURRENDER---

______Look Ma'... No Hands______

Forum Member

My exgirlfried was both on and under that bridge all week, on vacation in Orlando. They left Saturday afternoon.

Administrator

. If anything the stupid ones here would be those who choose to leave this road open for traffic.
    The OIC was probably scared of being tossed in the back of a squad car if he closed the traffic.
    Who's Stupid? The ones driving on the road or the emergency services and authorities that kept the road open and allowed them to drive under it?
    So perhaps the answer is....

Who's stupid?
    Answer: Those of you bashing the incident commander and emergency services personnel who weren't even there yet when the photo was taken.

Once again....the 'instant bashing' that happens here without knowing (or even reading) the full story is getting REALLY old, or even just using some common sense.

The photo in question was taken minutes after the crash before any emergency services personnel were on the scene. A firefighter, just getting off work, was the first arriving while driving on the road below.

Yes, the people shouldn't drive under but this is minutes after the explosion. But hey...maybe they had some eggs on their hoods they needed cooked. Make fun of them all you want...driving under an inferno of liquid flames they could see from miles before they got there is obviously pretty ... well, stupid. But why turn against the responders instantly here?

Hard for emergency workers to close a road before they get there. As you'll notice in the later photos (since most of you failed to look at the actual PhotoStory itself which would've answered it) you'll clearly see all roads around have no traffic once firefighters arrived.

http://www.firehouse.com/hotshots/ph...2/8/11_fl.html

This isn't meant to be rude...but really..this is a perfect example of how things turn negative immediately and those who are being negative don't even attempt to look at the facts before bashing fire services personnel elsewhere.

For those of you who are experienced in the emergency services, you would think you'd have thought about it twice before posting the assumption that they'd leave roads open directly below a flowing, flaming river of thousands of gallons of gasoline burning and multiple people killed and injured in an inferno right above.

You see some cars and trucks in the photo above ... do you see any fire trucks? Click http://www.firehouse.com/hotshots/ph...2/8/11_fl.html for the real scoop.

Thanks
    WebTeam

P.S. Had they not closed the road, at least the cars and trucks that drove through would've gotten a nice bath in a river of foam.

FIGJAM

Thank you for pointing that out WebTeam- I was one who bashed the IO's and emergency crews, and YES, I did read the article before posting my bash...

A firefighter, just getting off work, was the first arriving while driving on the road below.
    Let's see now, what's more important- attempting to stop traffic to prevent this incident escalating or taking a photo?
    Luke

Administrator

Let's see now, what's more important- attempting to stop traffic to prevent this incident escalating or taking a photo?
    Attempting to stop traffic going 65MPH on one of the busiest Interstates in Florida by yourself with no protective clothing underneath a flaming highway?

What would you do, run out in the middle of the road? Based on those circumstances, wouldnt it be better to just let the traffic get out of the area then stop it and create a bottle neck before crews arrive and set up road blocks further away? Or cause another accident as you're trying to flag down traffic to stop and someone doesn't pay attention to you (so you're thinking the same people who don't stop for a flaming overpass will stop for some man standing in the highway to stop) ...within a few yards of an inferno that could go from bad to worse at any second? Or let them pass at high speed until under it until the calvery arrives?

Why risk your life in an already dangerous situation without benefit of any of the tools necessary while in your POV on the highway below? Would you run up to the accident scene while the truck explodes and a river of flaming gasoline runs down the highway? This isn't TV.

More power to you if you'd do that....but lets be a bit reasonable given the situation.

Once again, maybe some of you enjoy just picking apart every situation and demeaning everyone and every agency you can in the process without any regard or any reason. But don't do it here unless you've got some facts and reasonable assumptions to back it up. Be reasonable and at least somewhat respectful. Its been out of control here lately in some instances and it will stop.

Thanks
    WebTeam

Forum Member

Default On the lighter side

Thanks webteam for your insight.....I will say that my comments were meant in the spirit of which I believe this post was intended. Not to bash the Orange County, or the Police, just to point out that some people (non-fire service oriented) are in such a hurry to do whatever, that common sense tends to leave them. I don't about any of you, but I am pretty sure I would have stopped, roadblock or no, there is a lot of fire on that bridge.

Remeber, better than 50% of the population was put here for our entertainment.....

These comments are in noway intended to represent Dal90. He can speak very well(actually much better) for himself.

Dave

Question Whats with the webteam

Why does it seam like the Webteam has a awful lot to say about everyones posts lately? Haven't they heard of constructive criticisms?
    Everything that I post is my opinion only, none of this should be taken as fact.

Forum Member

Thumbs up 2 points for the WebTeam

They win this round.

Forum Member

Dead on, Webteam.

Even if the FD had been on scene and not gotten traffic blocked, do these drivers need someone to tell them that the situation is dangerous? The belief that everyone needs their hand held by some expert or professional is the reason lawn mower manufacturers get sued by people who cut their fingers off. If they are too dumb to realize this is dangerous (without PD or FD to tell them so), they are too dumb to drive.

Do you want to share the roads with somebody that dumb?

Administrator

aven't they heard of constructive criticisms
    Since we're talking about other people here for the most part, its not bothering us any ... but no matter who you are criticizing, if you don't base your posts on facts, instead of your version or the presumed version of the facts thats wrong, we will call ya on it.

Forum Member

First off, have to agree with the ever present Webteam on this one. There is not a chance in heck I am going to step out and try to stop traffic on an interstate highway full of regular motorists let alone when the majority of them are probably in rental cars searching for Mickey Mouse......... These motorists probably think they stumbled onto the back lot of the Earthquake ride at Universal Studios....

My personal favorite part of the scene is what appears to be a storm drain on the left side of the bridge with burning gasoline running right through to the road below!!

Time to call the Health Department because I think that maybe it's time to up the chlorine treatment in our gene pool

Exclamation Wow

The webteam is pumping!!!

I have edited my post for the first time I was just blasting away at the webteam, as Kiwi had pointed out.

I do stand by my statment that the OIC was probably pretty fearfull about closing a major highway after the whole DC fiasco. Though he did do it and I applaud the obvious right dessision.

I also feel that the webteam is becoming increasingly more active, not so much a moderator, but a player in the forums. Don't know if that is good or bad. It just is. But do we want a contributer that has a final say, and can take action against people... hmmm.

Be Safe All. Drew
    Last edited by Drewbo; 08-12-2002 at 05:02 PM.

Forum Member

Default The Web Team is Right

Afterall, this is their website. I make the rules in my house and I expect the FH webteam to do the same in their house. When someone makes a snide remark about your department, I am sure you defend your brothers. The webteam is defending the department that is not here to defend itself. My mother often told me as a child "think before you speak". It is still good advice today. That "Preview Reply" button isn't there to keep the "Submit Reply" button company. Try it out.

I start my visits to FH at the front page, which gives me a chance to see what has happened each day in the fire service. I highly recommend it.

As far as the off-duty fire fighter being bashed for not stopping traffic:
    If the morons driving under the fuel tanker fire failed to see the danger in continuing under this obviously compromised overpass, what are the odds they would see a human in street clothes waving his arms at them? Firefighter safety comes first. Always.
    See You At The Big One

IACOJ BOD

George, about zero methinks.
    Drewbo, the webteam did not bash anybody, they talked about facts, and thinking about things.
    Kristen, Then you come straight in and do EXACTLY what the webteam was talking about?

Now where were my notes about scene assesment and safety.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Unhappy Errrr....

Made a boo-boo, I re wrote the post above. Had time to think and attempted to dislodge foot from mouth. Just wanted to fess up.

Later Drew.

Administrator

If we're going to engage in the debate, wouldn't you rather we did it as ourselves, rather than an alias? Not that anyone here has more than one alias :

Actually we would never stomp on anyone who has an opinion or idea thats different from ours ... we're just trying to reel a few folks in who post on things without knowing all the facts, or presuming they know it all. And of course, we will always step in if someone is disrespected inappropriately.

And sometimes, like in this case, we'll just state the obvious when it needs to be stated. If I roll out of here right now and a huge tanker explodes in front of me on the highway, I defenitely WON'T be trying to stop traffic on the D.C. Beltway

WebTeam

Thread Information