Thread: Weight Vest?

Question Weight Vest?

I have my CPAT coming up and I was wondering if anyone has used a weight vest for preparing for the test before. Does anyone know any disadvantages or advantages to training with the vest vs. just throwing some weights in a back pack and working out that way? Any help/advice is appreciated.

Somewhere near the shining Dome, 7-0 baby

I have a CPAT coming up too. My opinion is to train with a weight vest or backpack. Which ever you can get your hands on is going to help. Have you done your orientation yet? I strongly recommend getting on the stepmill to get a taste of it. I use a weight vest that is actually used for our dummies (manequins). It is only 50lbs. and is nothing like the one used for the CPAT. The one for the CPAT will be a lot snugger and will fit better. I made it through the stepmill in our orientation. Whatever you do, train with the weight. As you probably already know, the test will require a lot of leg endurance. So when you practice with the weight try to go beyond the 3mins and 20 seconds at a constant pace. Cardio, cardio, cardio!! If you have any more questions, let me know, I have been through 2 orientations recently. Good Luck!!

The weight vest is a great way to train. It really builds up your legs which is essential for the agility test. Try wearing it around the house or doing yard work. You'll get a decent workout without even trying. About 2 weeks before the test though, quit using it entirely. Let your legs recover. A backpack with weights works fairly well, but the vest much more uncomfortable and you probably won't want to wear it around the house or running. Good luck!

I meant to say the vest is more COMFORTABLE.

Haven't had my coffee yet!

Thank you for the advice! Now for the next question...Where can I get a good quality vest? I'm sure that I can order them online but does anyone know a website or anything like that? I have done searches but I have not come upon anything yet. The only websites I have seen for vests, are those cooling vests. Thanks for the help in advance!! (again)

The link below is to Bodytrends which makes a good weight vest. I love that it's designed for women. Probably the most expensive though. I've seen others for under $100. I was first introduced to these in wildland firefighting, so if you know anyone in that line of work, see if you can borrow one to try it out.

http://www.bodytrends.com/products/t...weightvest.htm

Default No Vest Needed

I took the CPAT in June and will be starting with the local fire department in 20 days (YAHOOOO!!!!) Anyway, I put a 50 bag of sand plus a 25 pound weight in my backpack and used a treadmill doing intervals for 30 minutes. I trained every other day for 3 months this way. No need to spend money on a weight vest and I breezed throught the test with 2:05 to spare. Train to win and Good Luck.
    If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Thread Information